Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 20:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hunting Styles
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2006, 16:32 
Trapper
Trapper

Seeing as how a bunch of us seemed to think keeping this board alive was worthwhile, lets start some discussion.

I was in a local outfitter's today before work and paused to look at some predator calls. I played with a few; a rubber bulb squeeker meant for really close range, and then a few longer range ones. The sales guy also fired up an electronic device--some type of digital sound card with internal speakers. Sounded good.

Left empty-handed. (Enter the Misses: Huh? You never leave that place without buying?) Sad, but true.

It did get me thinking though. How many hunters use calls versus electronic devices? The problem with predator calling is the same with all calling--you actually have to listen to, and mimmic the real deal to get any results. The electronic ones have real recordings and were fairly small and lightweight.

I have turkey calls, deer grunter, and a crow call. I almost bought an electronic device for coyotes. The results of this topic may just tip the balence towards one or the other...I won't leave that shop empty-handed again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2006, 16:48 
It depends completely on what state you're hunting in. Many states prohibit the use of electronic devices, thus making half the stuff on the market illegal to use. In those states, I use a mouth call. In the states that don't, I have a cassette/cd player with 100 ft of cord that can connect to another 100ft if necessary that is attached to two camouflage speakers that I can sit facing different directions whether I want to call them out of a hollow, or off a hill. I usually sit them on either side of my cat-attack decoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2006, 21:01 
Trapper
Trapper

Maine allows electronic devices, and the coyote is completely unprotected here. They can be shot, hunted at night, trapped, hunted over bait, even chased by dogs. Any combination of the above is allowed too.

My experience with coyotes is limited. Mostly they are sneaking off across a field or I hear them in the distance. I doubt I can match them howl for howl. That was the draw of the electronic thingy (yes, that's the technical term)--the sound is real coyotes.

I would trap them, but nearly all of my gear is for smaller animals (cages, 1 1/2 coilsprings, and 110 bodygrip). Hunting them is the only option available to me right now.

A lot of the lodge/guiding services up here offer February-March hunts for coyotes over bait piles to coincide with rabbit hunts and some bobcat hunting.

I know your feelings on baiting Lil Bit, and I rarely bait anything but traps. That's why I'm leaning towards calls. Do you have a perference for mouth calls? Either brand or design...the ones I tried out were tubes that you rotated for either long range or close range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2006, 21:18 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

We are allowed to use electronic calls in Wisconsin but I have never tried one. I have only used the squealer type blow-through rabbit-in-distress calls. I would be interested in how well you like the electronics if you decide to try one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2006, 23:17 
Trapper
Trapper

Alberta is the only place I know of that outlaws electronics for coyotes. Which states don't allow it? We can't use electronics on game animals, bobcats, or lions here. The rest are fair game.

I learned to call coyotes on hand calls but I sure like my remote caller. If used properly, and the old saying goes, you won't see more coyotes, but it will help you kill more coyotes if used properly as opposed to hand calls.

It helps keep the attention away from you when the coyote approaches allowing you a margin of error to adjust as needed for the shot. It also gives the gunner the advantage of setting up for a better downwind visual which is where a mature coyote is likely to go anyway. If setup properly, the gunner can spot, stop, and shoot the coyote before it gets wind of the caller or the man behind the gun.

The recorded sounds don't have to be from something real or familliar. The grey fox distress sound is a good one for me and we've never had them here. Also, using hand calls, my best sounds are of the highest pitch and most distressful I can make. I blanked out too many times trying to copy a cottontail or jackrabbit. I'm much more comfortable going off on a tangent and making whatever sound, senario, or scream in general comes to mind.

Both types of calls have their place but without knowing where or how to setup, or being familliar with your gun, neither will get you fur.

Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2006, 07:43 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Quote:
Both types of calls have their place but without knowing where or how to setup, or being familliar with your gun, neither will get you fur.

Good point. Just like deer hunting, if you don't know the basics it doesn't matter how many calls or gadgets you have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2006, 08:57 
I was under the impression that you could not use them in California, also many wildlife management areas prohibit the use of them (except for taking of crow), in New Jersey, it's like 50 bucks if they catch you hunting with an electronic device for something other than crows... And those states do allow them for predator hunting may restrict their use to coyotes, and do not allow the taking of fox or bobcat with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2006, 15:29 
Trapper
Trapper

I would definitely check state regulations before jumping into it. County too. Some states let each county dictate a lot of their game laws to an extent. Kinda like night hunting with a light in Utah depends on the county.

A lot of the callers out now let the user put his or her own sound file in it. If you're real creative you can have a blast with trick or treaters. :twisted: :lol: The better ones aren't cheap, but there isn't much you can't do.

Up until the end of Dec, I use distress sounds, but a coyote can be duped with a bad howl if you're in the right place at the right time. Most particularly in January and February when they're pairing up and establishing territories. I had very good luck with electronic howls last season. I've done just as well using a hand held howler, but like I said, in this open country it's nice to be able to get the sound and their attention away from me.

Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2006, 15:03 
Trapper
Trapper

I have hunted on both electronic and with mouth calls. I have had by far better luck with the mouth calls. With the electronics you only get one call pattern. With my mouth calls I change up the pattern of the call. And with the CD's and such, it is hard to switch from one sound to the other. I have had the best luck going from a rabit to a mouse to a fawn in distress. I actually got one into about 25 yards this past weekend. I feel that the electronics are waisted money and the mouth calls are the best way to go. Hope I was of some help.

Have a good time

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2006, 15:13 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

greenhorn wrote:
I have hunted on both electronic and with mouth calls. I have had by far better luck with the mouth calls. With the electronics you only get one call pattern. With my mouth calls I change up the pattern of the call. And with the CD's and such, it is hard to switch from one sound to the other. I have had the best luck going from a rabit to a mouse to a fawn in distress. I actually got one into about 25 yards this past weekend. I feel that the electronics are waisted money and the mouth calls are the best way to go. Hope I was of some help.

Great points. I know what you mean, I do the same thing when using a diaphragm call for turkey hunting or a grunt tube when whitetail hunting. It's very easy to tweak the sound of the call when using it with your mouth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2006, 16:18 
Trapper
Trapper

If you remember, I was debating mouth calls versus electronic calls in the beginning of the thread. In the end I went with a few mouth calls. I picked up a squeaker and a coyote howler. Next on the list are a coon caller and a squirrel call.

Price was a factor, and I did not want to carry out the more electronics and speakers along with the rest of my gear. Maybe next year I'll pick up a FoxPRO or something like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2006, 22:38 
Trapper
Trapper

MEtrapper,
If you don't mind an open reed distress call, e-mail me your name and address and I'll send you one of my custom made calls.

rebl70@midrivers.com

Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2006, 21:29 
Trapper
Trapper

I have found that a good call to use on coyotes is a fawn call. You can get it in the deer hunting secton.

Have a good time