Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 14:27

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 30-06/.300 -in mag ammo?
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2011, 21:45 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I am looking for some advice as to -hat to load for a 30-06 or .300 -in mag that -ill not destroy fo* or coyote. I am limited to these as my current firearms for predator hunting. I -ould like to keep the pelts if possible, if not i am going to try to get them -ith the bo-!!

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011, 11:55 
PROFESSIONAL (MOUSE) TRAPPER
PROFESSIONAL (MOUSE) TRAPPER

I replied to this post a while ago and then it came up missing. If a moderator deleted it, next time please leave a note so I don't re-send it.

I used to get 30 cal 100 grain "plinker" bullets to load for my wife to shoot her 30-30 with little recoil. Good chance there is a load listed for the 30-06 for that bullet as well. I will check my Speer manual when I get home but if you have any re-loading books, check for that load. Too bad you couldn't pick up a used .223 and get some full metal jackets. Mine has done me well this season with 3 red fox and 1 coyote. Little hole in and little hole out.

2013/14
red fox 3
gray fox 2
coon 3
muskrat 25
mink 1

Hunting
130 lb 4pt buck - Mathews Z7, Grim Reaper 100 gr. at 6 yards.
17 lb tom turkey - Remington Express 20 ga #4 at 10 yards.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011, 12:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

for 30-06 remington i think makes it not sure but they make a 90 grain bullet check if your allowed to hunt with where you are up there it is illegal in some states do to the fact it has a plastic casings around it and after it tis shot there is no rifleling marks left on the bullet....but .223, 22-250, 243 would be my first choice before i ever shot one with my 30-06

Check out my you tube page!!! alot of the stuff i learned on here i have made video's of them ..... http://www.youtube.com/user/ski31989?feature=mhee

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2011, 01:12 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

yea i wish i had a smaller caliber rifle for varmint hunting, but i don't have the money to put into another rifle right now... I have a great shotgun for getting em, but it is currently in Pennsylvania, I was being a nice big brother leaving my SBE2 for him to shot a turkey with, hes only 11, so with the mentor program he can take a bird, and that benilli doesn't kick at all, so hes using that, but i did shoot some amazing patterns through a patternmaster with that, and thats what i used before for predator hunting. I just found 110 grain .30 caliber bullets that are fmj i will prolly give them a try. thanks for the info guys.