Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 13:50

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SNARE?
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2007, 22:33 
Trapper
Trapper

i have just bought a few snares i told my self i would never use anything but foot holds but hey snares are really cheap and im not good engouh to be picky. i know nothing about them so so u need to die them like foot holds do u need to whatch ur sent as close do u hide thme basicaly what are the small things u need to do before u can set them and if there is any thing else i should know when seting them

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2007, 23:29 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

snares make a heck of a tool, no dying needed but i know some do i would just boil them in water and bakeing soda to knock the shine and oil off. what are you going to trap? every animal has a height and loop size pretty much just for them. you will need some support wire to make them stand up. just get a roll of trapers wire dependeing on size needed i use 11 gauge

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2007, 02:43 
Trapper
Trapper

i plan on catching yottes in them i know the store i buy my traping supplies from sells them pre made and the guy told me most people use them on yottes could u use a stick to hole them open as far as seting thme out should i weare my rubber gloves also how big should the loop be when i set it i think there is a regulation in wv about how big they can be ill definetly look at that b4 i try it thanks for the advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2007, 21:24 
Trapper
Trapper

snares are a very good trap. they are inexpensive and very dependable. i bought my snares from the snare shop and they came dyed. for sizes i use a 6" hole and 6" high off the ground for fox. for yottes i use a 10" hole and 8-10" off the ground. i caught my first fox in a snare. the best way to set them is in a fence. if you find a hole or something going under the fence it is the best way to use them. the other way i use them is i find a spot were many deer trails come together and put a bunch of meat in this spot. i block off some of the trails and set snares in the trails left open. i have had much success this way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2007, 13:21 
Trapper
Trapper

Once you get things rollin with the snares you will be hooked. They are great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2007, 13:57 
Trapper
Trapper

bagman 14 wrote:
snares are a very good trap. they are inexpensive and very dependable. i bought my snares from the snare shop and they came dyed. for sizes i use a 6" hole and 6" high off the ground for fox. for yottes i use a 10" hole and 8-10" off the ground. i caught my first fox in a snare. the best way to set them is in a fence. if you find a hole or something going under the fence it is the best way to use them. the other way i use them is i find a spot were many deer trails come together and put a bunch of meat in this spot. i block off some of the trails and set snares in the trails left open. i have had much success this way.

Be careful when setting under fences that deer are not crossing under.I've seen it happen too many times.

Snaring is by far is my favorite way of trapping.So far this season I've snared 13 bobcats since Jan. 1st.With the new snow we got here in KS. it's only getting better. Good luck and have fun! Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2007, 14:17 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i wish i would have bought some snares this year myself. they are a good tool thats for sure. just make sure you buy great snares there is nothign worse than a bad slow closeing snare

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2007, 20:23 
Trapper
Trapper

how would u tell a good snare and how should i test how it closes rember i have no experence at all in the matter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2007, 10:32 
Trapper
Trapper

I build all my snares and it's a whole lot cheaper. I use 1/16 cable on coon,cats and fox. 3/32 on beavers and coyotes.If you are just starting out I would just order a few from the snare shop. Their snares are very high quality.Once you see how they are built you can make you're own.You can buy them with all kinds of different locks but I use camlocks on my 1/16 snares.They are very fast and smooth.I use live catch washer locks on my 3/32 (coyote snares) because a lot of my coyote spots guys are running bird dogs and coyote hounds and it wouldn't look good if you killed the farmers dog.I've caught a few dogs and have yet to kill one with the live catch locks. Good luck!

CATMAN

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2007, 11:45 
Trapper
Trapper

13 is a nice # catman

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2007, 11:50 
Trapper
Trapper

2 more last night #15.One nice tom and a smaller female.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2007, 11:53 
Trapper
Trapper

How many traps to you run? And how much land do you have access to?
I got my 2 biggest cats this year, a 31lb female and a 33lbs tom. and the others are all average.
Way to go and keep it up... Do you have any pics we could see?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2007, 12:11 
Trapper
Trapper

I normally run 75 to 100 sets between 3 or 4 mile sections.I'm friends with most of the local land owners so access is not an issue,YET.That may change with all the leasing going on.I don't want to get into that issue.danuge,You,ve seen some of my posts on Bowsite. My handle there is KansasHeadHunter.We've discussed cats on there.I'll post some pics when season closes.I'm still in the stone age,I'm using a 35mm camera so I'll have to get film developed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2007, 15:24 
Trapper
Trapper

wow that sounds great.. I wish I had that many set but with school and everything I only have a couple hours everyday. Do you bait or anything? Or just snares?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2007, 15:34 
Trapper
Trapper

No bait,Just blind sets on trails and around dozer piles.Setting on frozen creeks is one of my favorite sets.Walk the creek until you find a brush pile to narrow them down.It seems like cats would rather travel on ice. Makes for some stealthy hunting. Bad thing about ice sets is this crazy kansas weather.You put all that work into you're sets and a couple days later it thaws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2007, 15:56 
Trapper
Trapper

I have done that before but never realy put alot of effort into doing that. It does work. I should probable consider blind sets more often. And you are deffinatly right on the cats hunting the ice.. Tracks everywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2007, 16:19 
Trapper
Trapper

When blind setting trails I always prop a 3" to 4" log across the trail leaving the gap underneath around 12".Cats will always go under as deer,cattle,ect. will jump or step over. Well,I'm heading out to run the line and make a few more sets.We have another cold front coming in tomorrow. Good luck!

CATMAN

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2007, 19:11 
Trapper
Trapper

when u say blind set ru talking aobut snareing and if u were to bait them how do u place it im doing as u all said and blocking a trail do i need to throw bait in the set or is the trail use good engoh and what is a blind set for a snare

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 10:18 
Trapper
Trapper

Snares are pretty much designed for blind setting trails with no bait.Several years ago Some duck hunting friends told me a spot where they were dumping all their duck and goose carcasses.I set the trails that aproached and circled the dump site.Coyotes are a little shy of bait piles.They usually circle down wind before they approach.I caught more in the sets that circled than came straight in.In a case like that you have to make for sure you put the bottom of the loop 10 to 12" up to avoid scavengers like possums.You can do the same around cattle and deer carcasses.On coyotes I still prefer blind setting well used trails and keep it clean.I boil all my snares on the kitchen stove with water and a couple table spoons of baking soda.It removes the oil from the cable and dulls the finish.

CATMAN

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 10:37 
Trapper
Trapper

I fall in love with snares more and more everyday and every set.

Last edited by danuge on 07 Feb 2007, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 10:39 
Trapper
Trapper

got this guy in a snare on a trail last night. Snare was 2 1/2 fists high and a 6 inch wide loop. He was 28 lbs. pulled out a nice coon at the same area.

Last edited by danuge on 07 Feb 2007, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 10:43 
Trapper
Trapper

sorry about the date here is a better pic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 12:57 
Trapper
Trapper

this is a good spot and snare setup for a bobcat. I have got cats in sets just like this and hopefully this one will produce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 12:59 
Trapper
Trapper

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2007, 12:44 
Trapper
Trapper

nice bobcat :)

that last set , do you have a lot of luck with it ?