Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 19:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fox Problems
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2007, 21:00 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Last year was the first year I trapped - I was after Fox and coyotes. I trap in Penn. and had sucess with greys and reds and did catch one big yote. This year we had alot of warm wet weather while I spent my vacation trapping. I had all kinds of problems with sprung traps but no fox in them. Used the same type of dirt holes - double dirt holes - trench sets - and trash pile sets as last year. Seemed to get back doored alot. I tried moving traps right up against dirt holes but that didnt help. Got some instruction from a few seasoned trappers and they agreed that setting closer to the hole would help but it seemed to get worse. No fox but when I hunt fox in same areas after I was done trapping would call them in or see them in the fields. So I know there are fox there. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2007, 21:06 
Trapper
Trapper

did you clean and retreat yuour traps after last year? they might have smelled them and dug them up on ya if you didn't

weasel-1
rats-46
Mink-
coon-3
Skunk!-1
Misc- 4
grinners-8
otter-1
Beaver-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2007, 21:10 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

I dont think scent was an issue - boil,dye,wax, hang in woods, packed air tite a dozen in a batch - only ever touched with gloves. Didnt seem to dig me up - worked the set and fired or didnt fire the trap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2007, 21:11 
Trapper
Trapper

what size trap and how back were ya setting

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2007, 21:15 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

I use Sleepy creek 1 3/4 with off-set jaws. I have night latches filed in with about two pounds of presure. I use all dried dirt and no pan covers. I am thinking about using underalls next year - I did have some traps silt in from the wet weather. I was setting up against the dirt hole and off center about 2 inches to the right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2007, 22:21 
Trapper
Trapper

try setting 2 trap 6"-8" back and 8" apart center to center on the pan on a baited dirt hole set with a rock backer with a little urine and make sure you double cross stake it sound like your dealing with a yote not a fox ther a diagram some where on here but i can't find it

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2007, 16:33 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Hey stang234 you are not that far from where I am trapping. I see you are Milroy P.A. I am Mifflinburg P.A. I dont know what to think about this years fox trapping? I just have not figured itn out yet? Spent tons of money on books and videos and still cant find sucess like last year. Something in set up is not right - hole angle, trap bed, or something? I kinda gave up on em this year and did alot of water trapping because of the warm wet weather but should have got some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2007, 17:41 
Trapper
Trapper

i know where your at my boss lives in troxilville you might even know him i work for eastern industries out of naginey or milroy quarry

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2007, 17:46 
Trapper
Trapper

by the way that diagram is under the frist dirt hole set

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2007, 17:55 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Thanks - I saw on another post that you sometimes put out a stinger trap? I think that was you anyway. If so do you use this method often? How are the results? I actually did try the two traps back from the hole at one location this year but only had it out for a couple of days. Set never got worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2007, 18:24 
Trapper
Trapper

did you try to mix up the bait and lure sometimes that helps don't worry been haveing the same problem only thing you can do is mix it up a bit something will happen

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2007, 18:46 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Yes I did. I stopped trapping for the year around Christmas. I had to empty the freezer and get skinning - plus used all my vacation up. I think I gave up before it got cold and that might have been a mistake. Need to plan better for next year. I still think trap placement or hole angle was a problem. I use sheeps wool for a bait and lure holder and place it down a dirt hole made often with a stake and sometimes I will see the set was worked and the wool pulled out but trap not fired. Did not step on pan? Or maybe a squirrel? not sure but everything I read or watch on video leaves me with more questions. Seems everyone does things different and gives a different answer to the same question. I quess I need to find what works for me but everthing else is clicking except the fox. Went backwards from the year before and that is hard to accept when I know they are there. Called one in two weeks ago at night in a place I trapped heavy with no results?