Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 11:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question?
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2007, 23:25 
My son and I would love to go out of state on a trapping adventure,but dont know how to go about it.If you had a choice what state would you go to,and why?

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2007, 23:34 
Well, probably West Virginia. West Virginia has a lot of public land. The out of state trapping permit is reasonably priced, and there's plenty of game available. Lots of furbearers. Also, regulations are fairly lax with regards to conibears in water, and footholds and snares on land.

First thing I'd do is read the hunting and trapping regulations for the state. Then, I'd call the district office of the part of the state that you'd like to trap and ask them where they recommend setting up, reminding them that you are an out-of-state trapper looking for a trapping adventure with your son.

Then, contact the WV trappers association and see if there's a trapper in that district that might want to let you stay with them for a week or more, or stay on their property if you have a camper, or even let you come along on their line.

Many 'hobby' trappers love to have someone come trap with them that they can learn a few tricks from, and show a few tricks as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2007, 23:49 
Trapper
Trapper

u better come on down we sont have as many yottes as u all but u can find some cats and they are soooo cool :shock: season ends end of feb the rules are kinda lax here but i must warn u u come to good ol wv u mite not want to leave that is why thre is gates on heaven all the west virginians try to go home on weekends u can find all the regs on wvdnr.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2007, 23:51 
Trapper
Trapper

Your welcome in Alaska. Regs are good and I can spot ya some traps and tell ya when and where to go.

Target animals would be mink, marten, otter, ermin, wolf and beaver.

Had a friend come up trapping for the first time this year and had a blast. He caught lots of marten and took home an otter as well as did a lot of duck hunting on the trapline.

Long ways, but it is fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007, 09:57 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

I would love to go bear trapping in Maine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007, 10:19 
Trapper
Trapper

My vote would be Alaska.

I would want a plane to dump me off and pick me up in 5 or 6 months. I wouldn't want to hear a cell phone ring, a baby cry, or listen to someone blab on and on about what was on TV last night.

I want my tracks to be the only tracks I see when I'm out, build a base camp, and the daily routine would be: survive. After that, maybe trap, flesh/stretch animals, fish, hunt, sleep.

But perhaps you have a different idea of "adventure" than I do. Like, go to a publlic campground with your camper, stick 4 or 5 #1's along a creek, and call it a "line".

You're kinda vague. How old is your kid, how long do you have, how experienced are you, do you hunt and fish, do you have all the gear ???????

First year:
1 - Grinner
9 - 'Skrat
1 - Beaver
0 - Mink
1 - Coyote

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007, 10:50 
Trapper
Trapper

i've had the pleasure of fishing for salmon & halibut in se. Alaska and have always wanted to go back and trap there so if you can afford it that would be my first choice you sure would'nt forget it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2007, 00:33 
Thankx for the replies folks they are greatly appreciated.Two of the places you folks mentioned are ones we thought about(WV and Alaska).Well Slamon is that a personal invite to come stay with you.LOL And Vulpine my son will be 16 next season and we would have a week or two to trap.I have been trapping for the last 6yrs and have been hunting and fishing on my own since I was 8,I am now 39.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2007, 12:43 
Trapper
Trapper

Man your an old fart, I am only 38 and a few days. LOL.

I tell you what, if your trapping, you dont want to stay at my place (in town). I can put you up at the beging and end of the trip and help you out, but the best bet would be to bring you cloths, boots etc. and I can spot you a map and locations, traps etc. and you can go at it. If you are interested let me know and we can work out the details. There are two possibilities, Trap by boat or trap by truck. Both are fun, but with a truck the weather does not matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2007, 14:04 
Trapper
Trapper

Rock on.

If you have a couple weeks, and your son is old enough to not be coddled, then heck yeah - hardcore Alaska adventure all the way. I would say keep the line fairly small so you have excess time to hunt and fish - depending on seasons.

First year:
1 - Grinner
9 - 'Skrat
1 - Beaver
0 - Mink
1 - Coyote