Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 20:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lil Bits trap size
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2006, 21:49 
Trapper
Trapper

Hey Lil Bit a couple of weeks ago you were talking about 1.75 offset traps and #2s, I`m guessing the #2s were offset jaws also?
We
got plenty of fox and coyote (these two being the largest to trap) along with other furbearers here in Kansas.
I
trapped as a young kid and caught rats, possom, skunk, and coons.
Now
I`m 43 and have 4 boys ages 11 to 4 and want to trap some more to show the boys something different.
Do
the offsets you talk about have square or round jaws?
I
want a one size fits all for the boys and I to use and it sounds like the 1.75s and #2s may fit the bill for us.
I
still have my #1s, #1.5 single long springs and some #2 double long springs.
Any
advice coming my way will be a big help, thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2006, 22:37 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Now I ain't littlebit but a 1.75 or 2 is the best all around traps. I use 2's and it can hold anything from a possum and coon, to a coyote and bobcat. I use offset but that is just because that is the law here, have to have.

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2006, 22:56 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks Ty-Bo67. A reply from anyone will be of much help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2007, 08:28 
Trapper
Trapper

I'm not 'lil bit either....I'm much cuter :P

First-off, #1.75-2 traps are too large to use as coon traps, unless they're set-up on drowners. There's too much room under the jaws for the coon to "get at" it's own foot. And if you're catching chimpmonks in them, you may want to look at adjusting your pan-tension.

Robert-since you have 4 boys in various age range, you should consider assigning them a different target. The younger the boy, the smaller the critter and the trap. No sense letting your 4 year-old attempt in setting coyote traps (not that you would), let him use the #1's & catch some rats. On the other hand, let the oldest boy target K9's. This would give them each one target to concentrate on learning & catching.

I prefer a #2 for an area with fox & coyote, and a #3 where there is less of a fox population. Square vs. roundjaws is a personal preference, and I've yet to see any "scientific" data to prove one is an advantage over the other. I use both.

Smitty

up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW-What
a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2007, 10:18 
Trapper
Trapper

Hey thanks smitty.
When
I trapped as a child I had no info. to use so I just set a trap or two right on the dirt in front of a hole and caught possom and skunk.
At
that time they were $1.50 to $2.75.
Coons
I caught were in water sets, like water trickling out of a drain into a small pool behind a pond.
I
had a guy show me to wire a #1 to the top flat of a brick and place it in front of a rats hole as a drown set.
Rats
were $4 to $5 at that time, I always had plenty of money as a kid in grade school.
Even
with all that I`m still a newbie cause alot of years have past and was wanting
to live that type of fun again, not expecting to make money just wanting me
and the boys to get out and do something in the woods.
I
will have to buy a half dz. each of several sizes of traps to cover a small range of animals.
I
see others have read this and went on and thats fine but please feel free to
give any comments even if you don`t think its much from yourself I may learn alot from it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2007, 10:19 
Yes, sadly, Smitty is cuter than I.

I like the 1.75 offset for just about everything for the following reasons:

1: It's not too big for coon. :P I just make sets that make it hard for the coon to chew its foot off. There was a demo at last year's National that basically made these traps into black-hole traps for the cost of 25 cents, which results in no foot damage by coons, so neener neener.

2: Also, if you wanted to, it's very easy to weld a double jaw onto these traps (a single piece of flat stock across the inside of the jaw so that when it closes on the coon, it makes it harder for them to bite at their foot. And the offset doesn't restrict blood flow, so they have feeling in that foot and are less likely to damage it anyway. :P

3: Off sets are easier to modify to softcatch if you find yourself trapping an area that requires this, or laws pass in your own location requiring this modification. No extra tinkering has to be done with offsets. You just take the humane hold add-ons, wire them in place, and you're good to go. The levers still rise high, and they're solid.

4: Most 1.75's today are round jaw. The #2's you might be thinking of are the Victor Square Jaws, and I don't recommend those for fox and coyote unless you're planning on doing some major modifications to them like swapping out jaws, laminations, base plates, bubble welding the tips, etc etc etc. The Duke 1.75 offsets are a fantastic trap with a nice big pan (though some have reported issues with the pan preventing the levers from rising up, but I have a 2# pan tension on mine and the pan filed anyway, so as soon as it drops, it's sprung, and it doesn't give me any problems whatsoever), stroooong jaws, some have a punched jaw that is almost like a factory lamination, some have forged jaws, either way, fantastic. Solid trap, not flimsy at all, and I put them through real hades.

There is so much a size difference between the 1.75 and the 2 when it comes to different brands. Be careful. See what diameter of trap you can have as per your state regulations. Some only let you have traps 4" on land, some 5.25", some 6.25", so you have to look at the different brands to see which traps fit the categories you can trap with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2007, 15:06 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thanks Little bit. :D I ain't no professional trapper but almost every coon I caught last year was in a #2 and I had no chew outs. I can't modify my #2 double long and I am broke at the momet so I can't but a pan bolt on them. :( I just bought a new rifle. :lol:

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2007, 15:34 
Trapper
Trapper

Well.....since no mention of modification was made, and only a certain percentage of trappers have the ability or manner in which to modify their own traps, I assumed we were talking "stock" traps :wink: Yes, you can drill a hole in a piece of plywood, place it over a bedded trap & prevent a coon from chewing 8)

As far as "bloodflow", how can offset allow any less restriction unless the jaws are touching (below the offset)? If the offset portion is on the foot, then odds are the jaws are held open by the animals foot. This means the full pressure of the springs is applied to them. Are you claiming that if I have a #1.75 offset trap (with say 1/4" offset), place a 1/2" dowel rod in it, that it would have less pressure applied than regular jaw trap? (of course the springs would have to have identical pressures to make the comparison fair).

Smitty

a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2007, 17:03 
Um... yep. That's what I'm saying. Because if you have a teeny animal in an offset trap where it's able to close completely, less damage is done to the foot, which refutes the anti-propaganda that show sthe pencil being snapped in half when the trap closes. Offsets and lams are easier on animals. Check your BMP's. That's why the 1.75os is okay to use on fox as well as mink.

YAY! I win! I'm cuter! Neenernahnahbooboo!

Last edited by Lil Bit on 01 Jan 2007, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2007, 17:06 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have to go with the cute one on this because I think she was with me!! :D Still your traps are awesome smitty!! Wish I could buy some but as I said, that new rifle broke me. :oops:

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2007, 17:25 
Trapper
Trapper

Unless I learn alot I was talking stock traps and will be leaving them stock.
Hey I am a weldor/boilermaker by trade so I could do mods. real easy.
I was talking to a guy today that said he used BeeJay catfish bait as a lure, just have marble sized balls pre-rolled and toss in the back of a dirt hole set-up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2007, 21:04 
Trapper
Trapper

Lil Bit wrote:

YAY! I win! I'm cuter! Neenernahnahbooboo!

Only by concession...... I learned a long time ago not to try & argue with a woman (ya'll got no sense :roll: ) You must catch coon the size of the one in your avatar if they don't hold the jaws open. Their foots no bigger than 1/4"???

And show me where I disagreed with the fact that OS & lam'd jaws weren't beneficial to an animal? You'll find it has more to do with surface area...... :wink:

Robert, if you haven't looked, look at the trap modification post at the top of the page, it may help explain a few things to you.

(I moved the trap mods thread to the Archives forum. Thanks again Smitty :D Keith- Site Admin)

Smitty

PS-'lil bit.....never mind :twisted:

a Ride"