Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 02:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 'Rat questions
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2006, 09:17 
Trapper
Trapper

I have a GREAT place to trap 'rats, but the river is way up right now. What do they do when their dens are under about 6' of water? I can't even get to my duck blind that is in jeopardy of floating away, and it is more shallow than the place the HAD their dens.
It is hard to see runs because there is just a very light sheet of ice on the water (about 1/4") and the water has flooded into the woods. (would be GREAT duck hunting if I could get to the blind)
Last time I was there and there was a lot of ice on the water, there were mink traps also on the ice, but with it being gone for the most part, and the "bank" being just forrest floor, it is hard to see anything.
Anybody got any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2006, 13:55 
Trapper
Trapper

If you are expecting a thaw on that ice, it sounds like it is taylor made to a float set. Build a float with the footholds just under water on both sides of the 2x4 that is above water, anchor to a cinderblock and leave some slack on the line so the float actually sits downstream for your anchor, this way if it rises any more you will have the extra play. The rats will rest on it, and if you want to you can put an apple slice on a nail on top of the float, but it isn't really necessary.
If my description wasn't good enough just type in float set on google and you will get tons, hope that helps.

weasel-1
rats-46
Mink-
coon-3
Skunk!-1
Misc- 4
grinners-8
otter-1
Beaver-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2006, 14:49 
Trapper
Trapper

Thank you for the GREAT idea. I had thought about putting some out, then didn't even think about it again. I will try to get down there and try this tonight. There is probably no ice there right now, but tonight there will be a thin layer. The river is slowly going down and the temps are supposed to stay above freezing for the highs the next week. Thank you again.