Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 14:05

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: selling fur
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006, 08:31 
Trapper
Trapper

Hey ya;;, i now have some decent fur to sell, but wouldn't mind hanging on to it till the end of season and shipping it up to canada after i take a classic pic with all the skins on front of my dads cabin.
Is there any danger to having my dried and stretched skins hanging till february? Will freezing weather damage to fur or am i good to go. I would really like to cash in for a big check instead of a bunch of little ones. Let me know what you guys do, and if there is any danger to hanging the skins.
Also, i am cathcing more than i can skin, so i am putting them in garbage bags and freezing them in a chest freezer......any time limit on this? Thankyou for so much help. This site is really giving me a lot of great advice.

weasel-1
rats-46
Mink-
coon-3
Skunk!-1
Misc- 4
grinners-8
otter-1
Beaver-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006, 09:02 
As long as there is good air circulation, and the hides are DRY before you hang them where they may freeze, you should be fine. If you hang them before they dry, you run the risk of thaws, bacterias, freezer burn to the skin side, etc. If they're already dry though, then you don't have to worry about it. It'd be kinda like cold storage. Now, with regards to freezing, I wouldn't freeze the whole animal. Animals skin easier when they're fresh. The freeze the pelts fur out until you have time to flesh them. They can stay in the freezer for months with no damage, plus it conserves space! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006, 10:29 
Trapper
Trapper

yeah, that's what i feared i would hear....The problem is my brother and i are the only ones really running the line, and my dad and buddy help us skin on the weekends. Since my brother and i both work day jobs, and have newborns, time away from the house is tough to come by. Our thought was we could take out of the freezer and lay out the critters we want to skin sat friday night in our utility room, about 40-45 degrees or so, and let them thaw slowly. I wish i could skin them fresh , but i am at my traps at first light, dropping off the catch and going hell mell to work by 8. As you know that is tough to do on the eastern side of the great USA. Am i risking my fur by doing this other than them being harder to skin than normal? -and good info on the hanging skins, that was what i was hoping to hear.

weasel-1
rats-46
Mink-
coon-3
Skunk!-1
Misc- 4
grinners-8
otter-1
Beaver-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006, 13:05 
You always run a larger margin of risk when freezing and thawing vs immediate care of the pelt. I've only lost one coon in the past 5 years doing it, but still, my luck with it may not be the same as your luck with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006, 13:06 
Trapper
Trapper

Just curious....
Can I buy stretcers at Gander Mt. or do I need to order from online/magazine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006, 13:07 
You can get some at Gander, but you're going to take it up the tailpipe to do so with regards to cost. You can get good stretchers from www.minntrapprod.com or from Funke's Trap Supplies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006, 13:15 
Trapper
Trapper

ha! i love the signature BTT, it fits well after your initiation posts.

weasel-1
rats-46
Mink-
coon-3
Skunk!-1
Misc- 4
grinners-8
otter-1
Beaver-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006, 13:26 
Trapper
Trapper

I was going to do one like you have, but a bunch of zeros just looks bad. I should though and add the ones I have been catching with the truck tires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006, 21:17 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Some of the local fur buyers will buy your critters "in the round"... in other words, just the way you caught them. They will do the skinning and stretching, etc. They do prefer the critters to be fresh though, and not after they've been sitting around for a few days. :!:

If you sell your fur in the round you won't make as much money, but some trappers prefer to do it because of time constraints such as the ones you mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2006, 17:12 
Trapper
Trapper

I have been thinking about this one for a few days army. If your talking about shipping your furs to NAFA you better have alot, I hear they charge $100.00 to join and then take a additional 11 % commission off the top. If I were you and I have been reading your posts since you joined up. I would find a local buyer in your area and sell to them. That way when they look at your furs they can tell you what you did right and wrong with them. I have hung furs in my basement for months if they are fleshed right. They only take a few days to dry at around 65 degrees. I hope this helps.... If I'm wrong about NAFA I hope someone would let me know

12 Coon
11 Mink
5 Beaver
2 Fisher
1 Otter
1 Wolf released

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2006, 18:08 
Careful about selling to local buyers. Ask your trappers association who they recommend selling to. Some buyers don't know how to grade fur properly, and let's face it, they're all in the business to make money. What they offer you for your pelts, and what you could get from nafa minus your commission may differ a great deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2006, 18:31 
Trapper
Trapper

i have a local trapper friend who has been selling the rats i was giving him for 5.50. To me that seems reasonable. Am i off my rocker? I agree with you walt

weasel-1
rats-46
Mink-
coon-3
Skunk!-1
Misc- 4
grinners-8
otter-1
Beaver-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2006, 18:38 
Fall rats, sure. But Spring rats should bring more money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2006, 18:53 
Trapper
Trapper

our season ends in march, are feb rats considered spring?

weasel-1
rats-46
Mink-
coon-3
Skunk!-1
Misc- 4
grinners-8
otter-1
Beaver-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2006, 18:58 
Yes. See, if you have an opportunity to look at a fall rat, vs a spring rat, you'll see significant differences in coat. In northern states, the pelts stay good up until April in many species like Beaver, Otter and Rats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2006, 22:49 
Trapper
Trapper

About the furs, everything lil'bit said, plus if you hang them, make sure there are not mice around, they can get to them hanging.

NAFA-does not charge $100 and take 11%. The council fee is 100$ for 5 years, and it reduces your commission rate to 9%, and shipping is free. If you sell a $1000 dollars worth of fur for 5 years, you get your money(savings on the commission rate) back plus have free shipping.

$5.50 for early rats seems cheap to me. Our early rats went for $6.50, $7.50 and $8.25, but it depends on your location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2006, 23:42 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks Whitetail I was unsure if what I was told was correct, thats why I asked someone to clarify it, for everyone Thanks

12 Coon
11 Mink
5 Beaver
2 Fisher
1 Otter
1 Wolf released