Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 02:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where is all the action!
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2006, 09:48 
Trapper
Trapper

Well things have slowed down alot for me in wv. :cry: I have not caught a thing since last week!I put out more fox sets and I see some tracks but just dont seem to connect. :? pocket sets I put out are all froze up so there not doing a thing either.I am trapping all of my water sets at an old beaver dam and a flood control lake that are connected together,I have caught 5 rats here,I couldnt have got them all could I. :?: Thanks Donnie & TY

fox 5
skunk 2
grinners 3
Thanks Donnie& TY

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2006, 12:31 
---Well things have slowed down alot for me in wv.

Yes. When the cold snap moved through, the raccoons denned up. Skunks are denned up. Even the opossums are hanging out in their temporary dens right now. Only canines and cats are really moving, and they're not responding as well to baits as they are gland lures as there are plenty of fresh and tainted gut piles and carcasses out there to feed on.

----pocket sets I put out are all froze up so there not doing a thing either.

Pockets for what?

----I am trapping all of my water sets at an old beaver dam and a flood control lake that are connected together,I have caught 5 rats here,I couldnt have got them all could I. Thanks Donnie & TY

Depends on who else is trapping there. You may have gotten the few left by someone else for breeding. Or your muskrat population may be a new population that has just moved into the area. What kind of sign for rats is there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2006, 13:48 
Trapper
Trapper

My pocket sets are for mink I think there are a few around the lake because I have had 2 of my rats eaton out of the sets.As far as anyone else trapping this area I dont think that happened either it is private ground and there is no tracks at all around the lake.Now I have been looking for muskrat sign at many other places and have found very little.I hope I didnt ruin something that was starting to be a good thing.I also saw alot of rats this summer so they should have a breeding population.I think I will pull out just in case they are on the rise at this lake.Gland lure for k9s can you tell me a good 1 to use?Thanks Donnie

fox 5
skunk 2
grinners 3
Thanks Donnie& TY

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2006, 14:08 
Different lures work for different people. Don't know why, but that's the case. What I use might not work for you. As for the mink, a big part of a mink's diet is muskrat. I'd pull out and watch the populations. See if the rats come back this summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2006, 08:42 
Trapper
Trapper

if you have a creek or stream that flows into your swamp area I wouldnt worry about over trapping your swamp. They will come and go from swamps that are fed by creeks and streams. Some will stay while others stop in to eat and go. But if it is a cut off swamp i would worry about over trapping. You want to keep a healthy breading group to keep it stocked for you. LOL