Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 10:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2006, 11:23 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

:lol: ok folks we all have something that happened out there that made us laugh a little but i have to share this one,, This fall i was checking my mink line and one of my sets was a pocket set located where the french river flows into lake superior. directly across the river(30 feet) is the Mn DNR hatchery where they capture spawning steelhead and salmon for the hatchery . I roll up in the truck and get out to see 4 dnr officers standing down by the river near my set. i walk down there to take a look and theres a large boar coon in my mink trap with with 3 feet of chain and a window weight charging around the river. i grabbed my club and went after him. by then there were more dnr employees showing up for work and they all stood there watching me chase this big coon all over the place. that window weight doesnt make such a good drag and the dnr staff were laughing their tails off as i would pursue this critter thru the tall grass , back into the water, and up over the hill away from the river, finally hanging up in a stand of willows. i dispatched the the rebel coon and vowed to anchor em a little better in the future, lesson learned. Anybody out there with interesting trapline antics id love to read em :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2006, 21:11 
Trapper
Trapper

Two years ago i made a dithole set in a berm against one of my ponds that always has fox tracks by it. It was the only set i had out. I checked the set two days in a row with no action. The third day i decided to leave the 22 at home and bring a cane as it was the nearest thing on my way out the door. Low and behold there was a fox in my leghold that was going absolutely crazy trying to get free. I walked up and confidently swung as hard as i could-he dodged my blow, and we kept doing the same thing about ten times. I would raise up and swing as hard as could, and he would dodge and go nuts every time. Finally i held the cane out over him and made a short swing that connected on his head, he went down and i swung again harder and finshed the deal. I was surging with adrenaline and laughter at the end. I will never forget that morning

weasel-1
rats-46
Mink-
coon-3
Skunk!-1
Misc- 4
grinners-8
otter-1
Beaver-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2006, 13:02 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

we notcied one of our traps was "pulled" gone, got my first fox last thursday and a neighbor spotted a fox running round w/ a trap on his leg, borrowed a strecher from a guy giving me lots o advice and he said one his buddies saw the same fox 3 days prior, my cell phone friday afternoon and it was the game warden, there was a fox 1 block down from on main street in town hiding underneath a trailer w/ a trap on his leg, met the warden tehre in 10 mins, we flushed him out and I clubbed him and there was fox #2 for us all of a sudden :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2006, 14:27 
Trapper
Trapper

iwas trapping a small creek and had set out 6 no 1 coil springs traps. So i went out the next day to run the traps and low and behold my first trap on the line was gone no coon no trap. First thing thru my mind was trap thief. So i hurried down to the next set. Trap still there, and the next and so on till i got to the last trap. There in the middle of this small creek stood mr bandit with one trap on his left paw and the last trap on his right paw. He looked like he was going to jail with his handcuffs on. That was a sight to behold. Never have a camera when you need one.