Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 19:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mink tunnels
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2006, 01:56 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Chicken wire can be used to make mink tunnels or cubbies . Cut the chicken wire 16" wide and whatever length you want ( cut mine at 18"). It's easy to transport and you can form it into any shape you need. I form mine to fit nicely over 110 connis or 1.5 coils. I then take and place where either the mink are traveling or where I want them to investigate. Once placed, I use grass, pine boughs, rocks, sticks, marshgrass etc over the tunnel as comoflauge and to keep snow from getting into the set and making traps inoperable. Bait can be placed in the middle of the tunnel ( I use 1/2 rat) or can be used without lure/bait as a blind set. I have even mounted them to pieces of styrofoam and placed on edges of beaver ponds with good results for both mink and rat. For keeping it where you want it kept I have use beaver sticks, rebar, wire and even clothes line.
Chicken wire is cheap, reuseable, lightweight, easy to camo, can be left out yr. after yr. and still works.

yotes 28
red fox 19
grey fox 13
coon 21
rat 14
beaver 27
otter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2006, 19:00 
Trapper
Trapper

Steelwalker thanks for the tip I think I will give this a try.I must be doing something wrong so far,I just cannot connect with anything.I know there are mink in the area I am setting in but they just wont commit.My pocket sets have been out for two weeks with no results.I also have blind sets out on the bank and nothing.Do U think I shoulld make a change or let them B.I have a limited amount of traps so any change means pulling the sets I have.I am lost and dont no what to do.Thanks for any advice you or anyone else can offer.

fox 5
skunk 2
grinners 3
Thanks Donnie& TY

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2006, 20:13 
Trapper
Trapper

You're not the only one! You may want to change pockets and the like, but if there is fresh sign near you blind sets, i wouldn't change them, they willl connect the first time something hits your pan! Maybe try stepping sticks? I am struggling myself if you couldn't tell from my posts :lol:

weasel-1
rats-46
Mink-
coon-3
Skunk!-1
Misc- 4
grinners-8
otter-1
Beaver-9

Post subject: mink tunnels
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2006, 21:12 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

steelwalkers right on, especially up here,the ground here now is froze rock solid and those portable lightweight mesh tunnels are great. i put traps at both ends of a 6" tube bait in the middle with a pile of old cattails or grass on top of the tube. a cotten ball of cavens "GUSTO" on top of the mound has been working out good this year also. Good luck and be safe

Post subject: mink
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2006, 22:20 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Remember mink TRAVEL. It might take them a day or 2/3 weeks to cover territory before they get back to where you saw sign last. I suggest leaving sets as is. Relure. Wait. Make sure your on location.

yotes 28
red fox 19
grey fox 13
coon 21
rat 14
beaver 27
otter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2006, 06:40 
Trapper
Trapper

Here is what ive come to learn about mink. To trap mink you need alot of traps! Unless you just want to catch 1 mink. These mink have home ranges some times as big a 10 miles. Now they do shrink in the summer but in the fall and winter they spread out. This lone mink takes him a long time to cover his range looking for females to breed with. So in order to catch mink you have to set every nook and cranny that you see sign. Because it may be 2 or 3 weeks before he gets back. So the bigger the area you trap the better off you are. Patience is the mink trappers game. If you can win that one you will string up alot of mink. You might need to buy a new pair of shoes every year but your time and patience will pay off. :wink: