Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 00:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mink in livetraps
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2006, 11:41 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Anybody have any experience with mink in livetraps, Havahart or the like?? Would appreciate any suggestions as to scent control, if necessary, bait etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2006, 14:50 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i sure dont myself. i would think that would be a tuff one though,how come live traps?is that what you are allowed to use in your area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2006, 15:10 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

[quote="warcraft1975"]i sure dont myself. i would think that would be a tuff one though,how come live traps?is that what you are allowed to use in your area?[/quote]

We're only allowed to use havahart type traps, or the common rat trap. No footholds, no conibears.........really stinks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2006, 16:34 
Where are you trapping, Jack?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2006, 20:26 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

[quote="Lil Bit"]Where are you trapping, Jack?[/quote]

Southeastern Mass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2006, 22:48 
Ah, well, have you checked out the massachusetts trappers association website? It has some information on Mink on there, as well as contact info for the board of directors, membership information, and upcoming meeting and fursale info, and a link to our members forum masstrappers.proboards62.com

As for catching mink in boxes, it's hard, but not impossible. I find one of the better ways of doing it is to make a mock cubby or extreme pocket, and set your small cage trap in the cubby in the embankments. Both of these involve digging into the embankement or creek edge slightly, and then building up around your cage trap making sure not to impair the trigger or doors from shutting. Remakes are difficult so it's important to use a trap that is small enough to where a coon isn't likely to get inside, but big enough for a mink. All sides and top of the cage should be covered, except the entrance. Make the entrance look like it's been recently dug out, and lure and bait it up well.

I'm glad you passed your trappers education course and got your trappers license. Make sure your number is imprinted on your trap at least 1/8" high letters, and good luck this season. Look for my letter in the Trapper and Predator Caller (assuming you're a member and are getting the magazine) in December!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2006, 09:45 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

[quote="Lil Bit"]Ah, well, have you checked out the massachusetts trappers association website? It has some information on Mink on there, as well as contact info for the board of directors, membership information, and upcoming meeting and fursale info, and a link to our members forum masstrappers.proboards62.com

As for catching mink in boxes, it's hard, but not impossible. I find one of the better ways of doing it is to make a mock cubby or extreme pocket, and set your small cage trap in the cubby in the embankments. Both of these involve digging into the embankement or creek edge slightly, and then building up around your cage trap making sure not to impair the trigger or doors from shutting. Remakes are difficult so it's important to use a trap that is small enough to where a coon isn't likely to get inside, but big enough for a mink. All sides and top of the cage should be covered, except the entrance. Make the entrance look like it's been recently dug out, and lure and bait it up well.

I'm glad you passed your trappers education course and got your trappers license. Make sure your number is imprinted on your trap at least 1/8" high letters, and good luck this season. Look for my letter in the Trapper and Predator Caller (assuming you're a member and are getting the magazine) in December![/quote]

I trapped years ago while in high school and am now just gettting back into it with my two kids. So, never took the course but am grandfathered for my license now.

I'll check out the MTA website. I still have a jacket with their patch and the NTA patch on it. What part of the state do you hail from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2006, 10:39 
I'm in Millbury, but you may want to check on the grandfathered in. You aren't anymore. Unless you took your trappers education course AFTER 1996. All people who want to trap have to have had a course AFTER 1996, otherwise they're not properly trained with the new laws and new traps, and you shouldn't be given a trappers license. It sucks, I agree, but if they catch you, you will get into major trouble.

You can call anytime with questions 774-287-2121. My contact info is also on the trappers association website, with my address. Elizabeth Stephens. Please call me. I have much information that would be of interest to you.