Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 00:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Last Night
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2008, 20:37 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

Well, tomorrow is probably going to be the last time I run the line until next season. It just stormed the night before last so the creek was up, and it's supposed to storm tomorrow night as well. Things should be moving tonight after it stroming and it getting ready to storm again. I'd like to finish out the season, but the auction is this Saturday, and I don't want to risk the fur rotting in the shed so I'm going to go ahead and throw in the towel. I don't think I did too bad for just running about a dozen traps, in a half mile area. I didn't have time to run a long one this year going through the first year of college. Next year I plan on trapping some Wildlife Management Area's for a couple weeks, and putting a line for up for the whole season in a couple other areas. Good luck to the rest of you fellas that are still at it. It hasn't really been too good of a season here, I hope it's the opposite for the rest of you.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. -Matthew 5:9

Post subject: quitting
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2008, 20:48 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Heck Preacher, when I first started trapping, my line consisted of 3 old #2 db ls. Caught 6 fox and I was only 12. Since then a notebook has been added to my arsenal along with about 500 traps. I only run about 40 k9 traps each yr. as time won't permit more. Ya did good. You will only get better each yr. you trap.

yotes 28
red fox 19
grey fox 13
coon 21
rat 14
beaver 27
otter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2008, 20:50 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

I've been traping awhile, but I didn't think it would be too good of an idea to run a long line when I first started college, I didn't know what to expect as far as studying would go so I decided to run a short one.

Post subject: trapping
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2008, 23:35 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

What are you majoring in?

yotes 28
red fox 19
grey fox 13
coon 21
rat 14
beaver 27
otter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2008, 23:37 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

Wildlife and Fisheries

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2008, 23:50 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I started out majoring in the same . Wasn't 1 semester later I changed my major to history and english. minored in native american culture and philosophy. Heck, now i can't spell, my sentence structure sucks and I only believe in myself. What a change.lol.

yotes 28
red fox 19
grey fox 13
coon 21
rat 14
beaver 27
otter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2008, 00:02 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

Wow, it doesn't look like it turned out as you planned. The Chemistry is killing me, I just gotta get through Chem II this semester and I'll be homefree. With all this chemistry I'm glad I ran a real short line this year.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2008, 00:43 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I completely understand chemistry. The more I drink, the drunker I get. It's that easy. Also, some cars burn gas, others diesel. Matches burn because they get hot. I think I got that chemistry down pat. :roll:

yotes 28
red fox 19
grey fox 13
coon 21
rat 14
beaver 27
otter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2008, 08:59 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Preach, Trapping on the WMAs is usually the best trapping. Around here they plant corn and then just mow it down instead of harvesting it. They do that for deer hunters, but of course everything a trapper wants either eats corn or eats things that eat corn. Sometimes they do that with alfalfa or soybeans too. I know some of the different WMAs have different seasons, but for the WMAs here the first month of trapping season coincides with deer season and the places are covered up with blaze orange and I stay out, there are always idiots out there during deer season and i worry too much about theft so I stick to private land for that month, but then after that you have 2 months of trapping season and the only ones out there will be bird and small game hunters and other trappers. I usually still get some theft, but for the amount of fur you can pull in off a WMA, its usually worth it. Sometimes other trappers will use snares in the immediately accessable areas during deer season, but I've never really had trouble with a place being 'cleaned out' by the time I got there.

Also if you have a small boat that you can carry around and put in wherever you want rather than at ramps(I built my own rowboat) you can get to some of the less accessable places on medium sized creeks and really pull in some coon, beaver, and mink. With that setup you will probably be the only one trapping those less accessable spots on smaller creeks without ramps. Also, they're unlikely to have been hunted, lots of deer hunters will shoot beavers, coons, etc. just screwing around or take a fox, coyote or bobcat if they see one. With that many people in the woods, you can get predators in the secluded places people havent been. Also theft is a non-issue when you're an hour of hard rowing upstream of the nearest road in the middle of winter on a creek that doesnt have a ramp.

A word on boats--if you go that route, buy a dinghy or small canoe or make your own, dont use a kayak.. remember you want to able to carry yourself and a lot of weight in catches, gear, and traps, and the water is COLD! A friend of mine almost bought a kayak for trapping cause he found a deal on a used one, and called me; he hadnt even thought about how much additional weight he'd need to carry. Try to keep the boat itself lightweight though, remember you gotta hump this thing from your vehicle to the creek! If it was easy to get to, someone already would've.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2008, 09:33 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

I planned on trapping Catoosa for a couple weeks out of my Christmas break. Yes deer season would be open, but as you probably know Catoosa is huge. 800,000 acres or so I believe. I'd go as far out as I could to run a line. I'm also looking into buying a rifle for predator hunting while I run the line, just as a just in case sort of deal. There's a few calibres I'm considering, .223, .243, .270, or something like the such. I may get a .270 win mag. As for the model I don't know. Before I do that I need to work on getting a crap load of traps. Ebay outta have some deals when all the trappings finished with from people who don't want to deal with trapping anymore, or people who stole other trappers traps. Oh well, their loss is my gain I guess.

By the way, how much would it cost to make a canoe? I have actually been looking into making one to use in some creeks closer to home where I could run a line year round, as well to use to duck and goose hunt in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2008, 09:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

im majoring in the same thing here at California U of Pa. and runing a long line is gonna be impossible. trust me. im kinda far from home to be doing that anyway but with just the Ged Ed studies and not even your majr coarses your gonna be busy. on top of if you do anything else like Tipsey Tuseday, Wet Wednesday, Thirsty Thursday, and Freak Out Friday, oh and Saturday. lol

Duck-
Regular goose-

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2008, 10:26 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I'm not really sure how much it would cost to make one, I have several friends who are construction workers and I'm always doing little projects, and they regularly bring me leftovers, cause I'll find a use for anything eventually. Mine is a dinghy (rectangle shaped with straight sides)

The supplies were exterior grade plywood, paint, deck sealer, screws, 3M super glue, 2x4s split in half longwise for chines, fiberglass epoxy, and a couple latches to make open and shut oarlocks. The oars are made of 2x4's cut down and rasped round and plywood for the paddle part. The only thing I actually bought was the epoxy so I couldnt really say.

A canoe would be harder to do because of the curved sides. I think you have to soak the wood, then bend it, then dry it out, but I've never tried curved sides. you could carve out one solid from a big tree if you're good at that kind of thing and have the tools. I think that would be harder to do and would almost certainly be a lot heavier though.

I am thinking about this summer trying to make a folding dinghy...I have seen plans for them, and that would be the ultimate portable boat. It has waterproof canvas or treated kevlar (have to be the canvas in my case) hinges between the deck and the sides and the front and back transoms are canvas, so you can fold it up flat and tote it around.

I'll be hunting and trapping royal blue this spring and summer for the bounty on beaver and coyote. Coyote will be $25 for the ears and beaver I think are $10 for the whole carcass. I dont go to royal blue during trapping season, so I do off season stuff there on weekends so I dont cut into my winter catch. Plus I can still skin and tan the yotes without the heads just for fun and practice. I've never been to catoosa, but I've looked at maps, looks like an awesome wma

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2008, 11:34 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

Where's Royal Blue? And why do they have bounties? I may be able to go there for awhile if it's not more than a couple hours away.

Anybody know how much a new canoe would cost?

The only problem I see with Catoosa is finding the fur. It's such a huge area, I'd have to look all over the place for sign. Do you go by the rubber jaw trap rule rybear? I started trapping some land just using regular traps and not putting a tag on them, so they wouldn't know who to blame. It would be way too expensive to buy a few dozen rubber jaw traps to trap Catoosa. I may break down and get a canoe and just trap the stream that cuts Catoosa in half. I wonder if there are any beaver there. I think I'm going to go as far in as I can with the truck on some of the jeep trails and set traps. I have no clue where to start looking for sign, so I think I'm going to head up there in a week or two and small game hunt/look for trapping spots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2008, 12:15 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Royal Blue is 50,000 acres, its not far from kville, its to the north in campbell and scott counties. A friend of mine is from campbell county and we stay with his parents when we are there. The biggest town around is jellico if you know where that's at or want to look it up on a google maps or something.

The bounties are county-by-county, campbell county normally has the highest bounty in TN on coyote ears and one of the few that sometimes has a beaver bounty. His dad turns them in for us because I think you might have to be a resident of that county to collect. The bounties arent open all the time, but you can save the ears and turn them in whenever the bounties are open. I guess they have them to control the population...you **** in the breeze and hit 6 coyotes and 3 beaver there. Of course trapping and hunting both is open year round no limit. There's basically nothing in the whole county except wilderness and the occaisional shine still (yes I'm serious!)

As far as the rubber jaw traps...no comment lol.

You shouldnt have much trouble finding sign if its a good place. I prefer to stay near water, my approach is that I'm a water trapper and I lay out land sets here and there when its a good spot and convenient to check on my water line. Just look for tracks in the mud, and animal trails that look like good easy approaches to the water. Most animals are gonna go to water fairly often to drink and hunt things getting a drink or walk down the water line simply because its in the way of where they're trying to go. Crossings are especially good spots. If there are beaver it'll be easy to tell, look for freshy chopped small trees, mudslides along creek banks, holes dug into the side of the bank around a foot or more in diameter, and skint sticks in the water. This rain is killing me : (

Buying a canoe can get expensive, at least if you want one you can tote around and put in anywhere. The best bet for that is one of the kevlar ones because they're really lightweight for the capacity, but even a small kevlar one is probably gonna run you more than a grand, and the fiberglass, aluminum, or wood ones are a LOT heavier, but cheaper. If you just want to put in at the boat ramps, one of the heavier ones would work, but then you may be just as well off to buy an aluminum john boat and small motor for the money, which wont get you to as many places, but if not many people are trapping, may be just as good.

If I had the money I'd buy a 14' kevlar canoe, they're big with lots of weight capacity and weigh like 40 pounds. The same size canoe in other materials looks to weigh around 70 lbs, but cost less than half as much. 70 lbs. stretched over 14 feet has got to be pretty unwieldy especially lugging it over rough terrain and woods or at least down a bridge to get to a creek, and you're probably looking at one trip for the canoe and another for the gear unless you have a partner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2008, 20:54 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

The whold canoe weight thing wouldn't be too much of a problem since the bridge that connected the two sides of Catoosa is out, and there is no plan of rebuilding for awhile. Which means I can just back up to the bridge and put 'er in. Plus I'm probably going to have someone with me.

I might head up to Royal Blue sometime and get some yote hunting in. Let me know when you're going to be there so I don't interupt you're stuff. I'll head up there when you aren't there.