Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 20:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: YANT
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2006, 13:41 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Yet Another Newbie Thread. I've seen a lot of them and I apologize for making another one.

I live in Utah about a ten-twenty minute drive from the mountains. I'd like to run a line that will take up to four hours every morning. I'm looking to trap muskrats for sure and possibly also raccoons and... well, I don't know what else really. Let me know if you've got suggestions.

So, if I'm planning on doing about 4 hours, and you knock off say a half hour for driving every day, how many traps should I plan on having out at any given time? That'll let me know about how many I need to buy. I'm looking at usedtraps.com as a trap source.

There's a lot of open space around here where I could potentially trap, which of course begs the question - how do I know where to trap? Should I pick a stream in the mountains and trap along it? I've done the furharvesting course here, it was just last weekend, so I've got a proclamation and whatnot that I've been reading.

Finally, how do I find a dealer who'll buy my furs once I've got them? I'm sure there are some in Utah but my grandpa (been doing it since a few days after he was born) doesn't know where they are any more.

Oh, also - is there an article on the site, some kind of intro to trapping, that I missed? If not I'd be willing to write one. It should cut down on a lot of the newbie questions in the forum here =)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Forgot to add - I believe that I should be looking at, for muskrat, some 110 bodygrips and #1 or #1.5 longsprings in the 4-5 inch range. I'm assuming I'll also need stretchers, and... I'll have to take a look at my book again. Are there any gotchas I need to look out for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2006, 20:51 
Trapper
Trapper

I'll try and answer some of the questions. I'm certianly not an expert, but I can offer a few tips.

First off, people that buy furs in your area might be found through your state trapper's association. If there aren't any buyers close to you, you may have to send them to auction (North American Fur Auctions or something similiar). I have to.

As far as the number of traps, that depends on how far apart they are, how long it will take you to make (or remake) sets, and how many places you find to make a set.

Next, I don't trap a lot of muskrats, but look for their houses, or underwater den entrances on the banks. Scouting is the best way to figure out where any critter is. Floating logs, toilet areas, and looking for eaten cattails and other vegetation is a start. Also, places where muskrats repeatedly swin through kinda make "runs" underwater. Trap these areas with 110 bodygrippers and colony traps. Use either coilspring or long springs in drowning sets on houses, logs, or raft sets.

Raccoons can be found by looking along waterways for their tracks and droppings. Some coons prefer to stay in the woods, so look at more than just shoreline. Anyplace where there are ditches, culverts, and old buildings can hold coons. I prefer 1.5 coilsprings for land trapping coons. I guess a 1.5 longspring will work too, and 220 bodygrippers in bucket sets or cubby sets work for many trappers.

Use, you will need stretchers for muskrats. They are cheaper than many others, and buy several. Most importantly, check your state laws. Many states restrict the use of body grippers on land or ban colony traps. Spend some time looking around and I'm sure you'll find something interesting.

Help some of that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2006, 20:53 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Welcome to the website! You'll find quite a few good people here that will help with your questions.

As far as finding a fur buyer in your area, try contacting the Utah Trappers Association. You can find their website here-- Utah Trappers Association. I'm sure someone there can help you out.

It is not a bad idea to start simple and concentrate on only one critter, if you want to go after muskrats get the supplies you need, your 110's and #1 and #1-1/2 longsprings, some stretchers, etc., i.e. the basics.

I can't really help you with your set locations as I am not familiar with trapping the mountains but I am sure there are some here that can help you. The UTA might be a good resource for that as well.

Good luck on your trapline!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2006, 23:13 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks for the replies guys. The only thing that wasn't answered is the question about writing a newbie article for the site. It'd be great if there were a "This is what you need to get started" list that covered all the steps - get licensed, buy your materials, 1 2 3, etc. Unless y'all don't mind answering the same questions over and over :)

I'll get in touch with the UTA. They're actually the folks (their website was anyway) that pointed me to the class I took where I got started. I sure wish my grandpa talked more, he'd be a great resource.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2006, 11:05 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

dcrookston wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys. The only thing that wasn't answered is the question about writing a newbie article for the site. It'd be great if there were a "This is what you need to get started" list that covered all the steps - get licensed, buy your materials, 1 2 3, etc. Unless y'all don't mind answering the same questions over and over :)

I am always looking for new material for the website. A newbie article would be a great addition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2006, 16:48 
Trapper
Trapper

i agree! bein that i always hear my dad complain about the same answers bein asked over and over i think would stop all the gripin. lol :P