Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 15:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2017, 18:17 
Trapper
Trapper

Greetings everyone for the 2017-18 trapping season. I've been putting sets out for about a week now for rats and coyotes. I'm doing fine with my muskrat sets, but the coyote sets are a different story. I am trapping a farm that is loaded with k-9s, it is where I caught my first coyote last year, and every time I go out and check traps there is fresh coyote sign from the previous night. But I have yet to connect with a coyote! Skunks and coons, (and a rabbit today) keep fouling up my sets before the coyotes have a chance to work them. Because of the poor coon market I haven't been focusing on catching any, I've caught 5 so far but all have been released because they were all small. What can I do to try and keep some of these non targets out of my sets and hopefully let the coyotes have a chance to work them? Thanks everyone, and it's good to be back on the site. It's the best time of the year!!

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2017, 21:13 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

If the location is good enough for one set, it is good enough for two or more. Dirt hole, flat set, and urine post. Stock pond dams are good for at least four, two on each end. If you can, use snares and the skunks will walk under them.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2017, 17:47 

One way to keep skunks, possums and coons out of your sets is to not use bait. Stick with gland lures until the weather gets cold.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2017, 18:21 
Trapper
Trapper

I have 4 locations set on one property, each location has at least 2 traps on it. I caught another 2 coons but just can't seem to get a coyote. My goal is to really get better at coyote trapping this year, I've only caught 2 so far in my trapping career. Luckily we have a lot coyotes where I live, I just hope I can start connecting!

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2017, 22:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

dkhunter8383 wrote:
I have 4 locations set on one property, each location has at least 2 traps on it. I caught another 2 coons but just can't seem to get a coyote. My goal is to really get better at coyote trapping this year, I've only caught 2 so far in my trapping career. Luckily we have a lot coyotes where I live, I just hope I can start connecting!

Well I cant really help you, but there are many on this forum that can help if they care to. Seems to me many of the southern boys have shut up. I would give pointers if you were a little north. I pray that someone will chime in and help.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2017, 00:02 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Wolf,

Wisconsin isn't that far south of you. Winters there are more like yours than those I see here in Oregon.

Rem

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2017, 21:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Plant more steel. At least keep some of the non-targets for a little gas money. Skinning skunks out is fun, just don't do it inside!

Can you sell critter skulls out of Wisconsin...? A cleaned up skull with no bullet holes from those dink coon may be worth more than their hides. I don't know what sort of guidance you have from your landowners but most around here want coon, any coon, dead and gone from their place. That's generally the price of admission to trap the land...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2017, 18:28 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Increase your pan tension to 6 lbs. It will keep all but the most determined non targets out.

coyotes 7

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2017, 21:06 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks for all the advice guys, I finally connected yesterday with my first coyote of the year! A nice big male, I changed up most of my sets to either flat sets with urine or gland lure as attractant, or pulled the bait out of my dirt holes and just used the urine/gland lure. I had a trap set with no bait or lure right on a trail where the dogs were traveling between fields. I checked traps this morning and there was fresh tracks and scat going down the trail, and when the coyote got to where my set was I could just see the corner of the jaws sticking out of the ground. It didn't look like the trap was dug up, more like he/she stepped right on the jaw while walking and exposed the trap. Do you guys think that set will still be worth while, or should I try something new? I double checked to make sure it was still bed well and covered it back up, but I have no clue if I educated that dog or if he just kept walking through. Thanks for all the advice as always, I have some best pictures of my coyote but I'm having difficulty getting them to post.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 09:58 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

You need to rebed that trap. It should not move if the jaw is stepped on. Leave it there and that, or another yote will go down that trail in a bit.

I use Postimage.org and have been happy with the results.
Open an account and follow directions to upload your photos. Open your gallery and on the top of each thumbnail picture will be two icons.
Place your cursor on the left one and it will indicate "share'. Click on it and you will get a selection of options.
I go to "Hot links for forums" and on the far right is an icon that will be highlighted when your cursor is on it.
Left click and "copied" will show directly to the left.
Open a "new topic" here, left click and then right click on the window, then "paste"
You "preview" to be sure you have the correct picture.

This works for me.