Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 16:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just curious
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016, 22:59 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Whats every body targeting this year got an old trapping partner trying to talk me in to going up high after marten but im undecided due to time constraints.thinking strongly about targeting mink this year just because its one critter ive never realy gone after.

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

Post subject: Re: Just curious
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 08:25 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

peace keeper wrote:
Whats every body targeting this year got an old trapping partner trying to talk me in to going up high after marten but im undecided due to time constraints.thinking strongly about targeting mink this year just because its one critter ive never realy gone after.

Peace Keeper,

What I hope to see is a video of you releasing a live skunk from a steel trap. We've heard the story but we really need a video for proof! I haven't taken a mink in my area in over 20 years, I have no idea what happened to them....but I did get involved with on in Canada. I am thinking about targeting possums this season, I haven't had much luck catching them in the past! :roll:

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 15:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Swamp Rat wrote:
peace keeper wrote:

Peace Keeper,

What I hope to see is a video of you releasing a live skunk from a steel trap. We've heard the story but we really need a video for proof! I haven't taken a mink in my area in over 20 years, I have no idea what happened to them....but I did get involved with on in Canada. I am thinking about targeting possums this season, I haven't had much luck catching them in the past! :roll:

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2016, 23:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Wild mink is at an all time low, so targeting them now would not be profitable. Unless you can pick up a few hundred in a couple weeks. Marten on the other hand is still a good choice for today's market conditions. Set heavy and trap them for a couple weeks.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 06:49 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Wolf I would love to go after marten its just that its ahour and ahalf run just to get to the start of what would be our line.I have never trapped either animal as a targeted catch and they intrigue me.I just figure I would be able to put more time on a mink line than marten.and thus walk away from this trapping season with somthing learned.I will still go after my normal critters this year such as cats greys beaver coon and coys just looking for somthing special to target to expand my personal knowledge and keep the season fresh and interesting next year I will have three weeks vacation and figure that would be my best bet for marten.

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 07:05 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Oh and swamp I did try the skunk trick again and I know red rooster was laughing histericly from somewhere above.because it failed miserably.I learned three very valuable lessons from that trip one turning a skunk loose from a foothold can and will turn into a very stinky situation two the car ride home in your underwear with your wife taking pictures for all to see is very humbling and three it is the one time that my trapping ventures actualy brought out the words divorce from my wifes lips so with my best intrests at heart I should probably not cross that path again.the only good part of that trip was that I had the keys to the car or I probably would of ben walking :roll:

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 15:58 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

:lol: :lol: :lol:
peace keeper wrote:
Oh and swamp I did try the skunk trick again and I know red rooster was laughing histericly from somewhere above.because it failed miserably.I learned three very valuable lessons from that trip one turning a skunk loose from a foothold can and will turn into a very stinky situation two the car ride home in your underwear with your wife taking pictures for all to see is very humbling and three it is the one time that my trapping ventures actualy brought out the words divorce from my wifes lips so with my best intrests at heart I should probably not cross that path again.the only good part of that trip was that I had the keys to the car or I probably would of ben walking :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll take your word on those facts!

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 04:02 

I'm definitely going to go after fox and coyote this year. Even though the mink market is very near the raccoon market I will try for them with some experimental sets I want to try.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 18:59 
Trapper
Trapper

Im going to be so busy this fall with 3 deer tags, LOTS of pheasant hunting, and trying to squeeze in some waterfowl hunting. Hopefully I'll be able to go after some beaver this coming spring, although, not for profit but for a blanket. I have about 30 tanned beavers ready to be made into the blanket. :P

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 22:39 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

SDhunter96 wrote:
Im going to be so busy this fall with 3 deer tags, LOTS of pheasant hunting, and trying to squeeze in some waterfowl hunting. Hopefully I'll be able to go after some beaver this coming spring, although, not for profit but for a blanket. I have about 30 tanned beavers ready to be made into the blanket. :P

How big of a blanket you making :--?

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2016, 19:59 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Dang sd thats enough for 2king size bed spreads wife wants one out of beaver trimmed with greyfox acompany through my taxidermist will do it tanning and sowing for about 1500it will take 16medium to large beaver and 6greys for trim

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2