Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 09:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ranch mink delcine
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2016, 16:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Just looking at Nafa update. Seems there will be a lot less ranch mink this upcoming season so wild fur might do better. That's their crystal ball prediction. Whats your take on all this.

Post subject: Re: ranch mink delcine
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 18:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Talked to a guy who used to raise mink, and he sold all his mink this year. He said all he was doing was breaking even, and his wife wanted him to get rid of them since she had just retired. He said not having them gave him time to clean up his messes from the last 30 years, but now hes bored and wants to get them back again.

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 22:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Our trappers meeting was last night and both auction houses reps were in attendance. Although I could not go due to a family event :x , I did hear all about the meeting today. Nafa announced that many ranch mink breeders went bankrupt this year. But even with that the outlook on wild fur will be the same as last year. I feel for the ranch mink breeders, but they all got greedy and now their market has plummeted due to over production and a poor market. Coon will be low again this year as well, along with otter. Yotes are still in demand but for good quality.
Longhairboy tell your buddy to raise marten if he can. That is considered a luxury fur and still brings a fair penny even in lean years. Just joking on the marten farming but it would be nice if it could be done.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2016, 20:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I occasionally work for a mink farm here. They are second and third generation.
It is pretty interesting to be around. Learn how to peel a mink in a hurry.
They are keeping a few for breeding stock waiting for the market to come up again.
I guess a lot of the over production came from over seas. At most the ranch here produces a few thousand a year. Think there are two mink ranches in the state but not sure.
Something to remember, fur farms heavely suppoert the fur industry. Both
Physically and financially. We are allies and that needs to come before internal
Squabbles. They are hard working folks just trying to make a living.

Beaver--2
Muskrat-0
Squirrel-6
Fox------2
Coon----1

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2016, 14:31 

I actually thought about over production when ranch mink prices were sky rocketing 4 years ago. I kept seeing reports of the high volume of ranch mink coming in to the auction houses and immediately thought about 1997. Back then, they reported that raccoons were in demand. I remember taking my haul of raccoons to the local fur buyer and he told me that he was getting a ton of Raccoon in that year. The next season, my Raccoon average went from $15.00 per pelt to $5.00.