Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 23:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Been away for awhile
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2015, 13:14 
Trapper
Trapper

Hello everybody,
Took a new job in 2014 and have been spending months at a time on the road. It's all been good, I'm spending about 100% of my time focused on just one endangered species so the work is very satisfying.
Took a bit of time before Thanksgiving to run a line with my youngest kid. Our totals are below. This was the first time I've used a dirthole set because I'm usually only focused on removing raccoon as predators around our wetlands. My daughter and I set and caught the two fox over 3 days. We'll be back at the DP-coon line and an added upland dirthole line this Sunday. Who knows maybe we'll have enough furs for a large blanket.

Bob

Red Fox 8
Grey Fox 1
Coyote 1
Opossum 5/2
House cat 2/2

Post subject: Re: Been away for awhile
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2015, 23:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice tallies! We don't have grays around here except a few supposedly down further south on my local river but South Dakota sits in one of the largest pockets of no grays. Love to catch one sometime but no cigar yet.

If you're going to make a "fur blanket" or anything else, this would be the year to do so especially with your eastern coon. The last couple of NAFA auctions were bad enough with very low clearances of western northerns and western north-central coon sold, you guys with critters graded eastern north centrals and centrals it was just absolutely bleak with only an occasional lot getting a gavel. Nothing wrong with many, many of those hides except they're not just the weight and density of the fur that the trimmers are looking for. I suspect that if the eastern coon markets stayed so depressed that some serious adc work will open up for people. Just because the Russians and Chinese aren't buying doesn't mean the raccoons have stopped breeding out there. To totally butcher Shakespeare, "Cry havoc and let slip the coons of war [or just plain old coon mayhem]" ...

P.S. What's the E&T species that you researching/monitoring if you at liberty to tell??

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2015, 09:16 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Good to see you back ecosense. Sounds like you had a good time on your trap line.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 23:05 
Trapper
Trapper

Non-pc a little turtle in my area called a bog turtle. Two of their main predators are mink and raccoon. I don't have much luck with the mink but I average about 20 coon a season from a handful of turtle sites.

So we got a late start on setting our winter line and didn't get any traps out till this past Saturday. One more nice coon yesterday. We will be setting several more areas over the next few days. Day after Christmas we can start hanging cables for fox.

Red Fox 8
Grey Fox 1
Coyote 1
Opossum 5/2
House cat 2/2