Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 15:46

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2015, 19:36 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

It's pretty dead on here tonight so I'll start conversation.... I like things from nature, like awesome pieces of drift wood or arrow heads.... Corner posts that deer have rubbed to a tooth pick over the last 20 years...what's your outdoors trophy...

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2015, 20:07 
Trapper
Trapper

I guess one trophy I have is an arrowhead I found while detasseling. I got to the end of my row, and looked down to see a rock on the ground. I thought, "I bet I could throw that pretty far." I picked it up, and I was like oh my God I just found an arrowhead!

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2015, 21:26 

That's a tough one....My first red fox in 1983 comes to mind but probably my first coyote in 2002 was a big event for me as well.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2015, 21:42 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

I'd have to say mine was trapped. It happened several months after Amak convinced me that I needed to try out this trappin thing. I was all bugged up about it and couldn't wait for opening day, took off work and set some traps that I collected over that long summer. The next morning, I got up early and went to check my few sets. I had a weak flashlight to guide me and before I could see the cage trap, I heard a popping sound and knew I had made my first trappin catch but no idea what. Once I got to that cage, I saw a tiny grinner waiting for me. :lol:
That was back in 2008, and since then, there have been many MANY more that have found my sets, but that particular one stands out in my memory as the prize grinner. That lil turd sparked a fire that seems to never burn out, although sometimes it doesn't burn as hot as others. Little did I know then, that a life long pursuit of learning was ahead of me. As much as I cuss a grinner for destroying a cat set, I have to give that first catch credit for the adrenaline rush that puts me back on the line every year. I could say the same for many things I guess: first deer, turkey, bass, crappie, etc. but trappin seems to be something I just have to do even when the time ain't there to do it to the extent that I would like to.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2015, 22:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I have a few different "trophies"
One that I never kept was my first bobcat, I sent him off to NAFA for the sweet tune of $290. Maybe when I get a kitten I'll have it mounted and pretend it was my first one :wink:

I still have the hide off of the first squirrel I ever shot, it hang on my wall for a few years, now its just laying on a shelf. I've also got a deer skull I found in the woods sitting on my headboard as a little souvenir

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2015, 22:39 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I shot a drake pintail that was banded in Alaska thats on my wall.... A snow that's was banded in Alaska as well and some arrow heads and other Indian artifacts....my first red yote...found some neat sheds and turtle shells....

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2015, 09:13 
Trapper
Trapper

thats a tuff one, I got alot of cool things found, shot an trapt.
I found a new stanly thromos in deer season, I hung it on a tree
were I found it 3weeks later I took it home, I found a old dump
site way back in, been diging bottles ther for years. got lots of
nice sheds, to big old rusty victor beaver traps. there is more il post later

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2015, 09:47 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

That is a tough one
Hunted : first deer , tundra swan with a leg band and a neck band
Trapped : first bobcat and first coyote
Found : shed horns, bobcat dens, old bottles , peace and quiet :wink: :wink:

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2015, 10:02 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Let's see that swan that's awesome!

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2015, 11:00 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

[/img][URL=http://s275.photobucket.com/user/doc9013/media/101_2662.jpg.html]Image
Can't see the neck band in the pic because I shot it off :oops: :oops:

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2015, 11:09 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Here's the leg band and what's left of the neck band.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2015, 12:29 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Very neat....

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2015, 13:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I like what you have there Doc, I may just have to make that with the goose I shot with a band. I couldn't think of something to do with it as a trophy, so they've just been laying next to each other for a couple years

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2015, 13:24 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

longhairboy wrote:
I like what you have there Doc, I may just have to make that with the goose I shot with a band. I couldn't think of something to do with it as a trophy, so they've just been laying next to each other for a couple years

It's pretty neat to hang on the wall. I just dried the foot out and screwed a little eye-hook down into the bone. The neck band was in pieces so I glued them to a piece of PVC pipe.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2015, 14:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I have a WTD shed (one side) that is probably froma 140-150 class buck that I found 40 years ago at the local Boy Scout camp during a spring camp out. It had faded to a nice white color but don't to the point where the bone actually starts to break down and not a lot of critter munching on it. Don't know what I'll ever do with it but still have it...

Probably my greatest "trophy" besides my first buck deer or first red fox in a trap was my 1989 antelope buck out in the very northwest corner of SD. Chris Kyle I'm not and the critter didn't go down without a fight but he ended up in my hands. I did a shallow shoulder mount of him and didn't get the horns back on quite right and never finished waxing the eye edges put he's been up on various walls for the last 25 years...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2015, 14:12 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

That looks like a very nice antelope !!

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2015, 16:18 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Awesome pc

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2015, 21:14 
Trapper
Trapper

I'd have to post pics of my belly, ate what I hunted, sold what I trapped and gave away what I found..

Neat stuff guys.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2015, 18:23 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I think my most prized possession I found when I was just 16 years old. I had went on a camping/canoe trip with the local churches' "Christian Service Brigade"...kind of a Christian based Boy Scouts. Anyway, at one of our stops on the river, we pulled over to get a swim and enjoy a rope swing that was provided. The river ran clear and clean and the pebble rock bottom in the whole area was easily visable. I had messed around with water fun for a while and noticed our main leader (Who was also my school bus driver for several years and whom i greatly respected) standing at a certain vantage point to watch over us boys, with jeans rolled up and in knee deep water. I strolled over and splashed in and stood next to him. We talked a little about the trip, and how nice and clear the water was. Thats what made me look down at my T-runners on my feet. As I did, for whatever reason, my eyes picked out a stone that was almost white in color. As I looked at it, it suddenly came clear as the water ripples calmed. It was a head laying there as if someone just placed it on its side for show and tell square between my feet... I reached down and picked it up, and told my leader what i just found. He looked at it and said i believe you DID find a head. What gets me, is there was an emense amount of traffic that hit that pool area and swing year after year all summer long. The bottom was stones about golf ball size, and with every step you would sink in 6 inches as if it were loose sand. How I was ever lucky enough to see it was simply astounding to me and still is. Later on i felt even more lucky when it was identified as a Dalton head, of about 2 inches in length and in perfect shape. About 12 years later, I was showing a friend the head, and I dropped it and it broke one of the rear tang points about 1/2 off. I was sick and still am when i really think about it. That find happened coming on 32 years ago. I still have and cherish it very much. Its very special to me. I hesitated to post about it because it is kind of sacred to me and only a handful of people have ever seen it or even knew about it until now.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2015, 20:12 
Trapper
Trapper

I had to Google what you were talking about, but very cool.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2015, 21:06 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Stories like that are the reasons kids need to pull there faces out of there phones and enjoy life's.... Those are experiences that you don't forget the time and place..

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2015, 22:41 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

For all the time spent walking across various parts of SD, I've never found an arrow head or any other NA artifact. Now if you do, it would almost have to be pick and shut up because even on private land its getting harder to keep such items. Nowadays under current federal law, if old human remains are found in this state (older than settlement days) something like 14 tribes from Canada down through Kansas have to be contacted to see if they want to lay claim to them. Sign of the times I guess.

The only treasures I've dug from the ground are metallic and more contemporary. Our council Boy Scout camp is along the Missouri River hills and during WWII it was used as a strafing run for various warplane training. Lots of .50 MG cal cases and slugs used to be found. When I was a younger camper in the mid-1970s, they used to even sell them in the camp "trading post". I spend a week each year for 7 years running around various trails and roads without finding any. Then I worked 3 years on staff during college (6-7 weeks at a time) and finally started seeing them. Probably ended up with about 4-5 cases and 5-6 slugs. A few years back, during the first year my oldest boy was there, I was walking down one of the gravel roads after a good rain storm and found another case about 5 minutes after telling kids they should be looking for them. That was pretty cool!!

Out in the Badlands area of western SD, there was also a gunnery and bombing range during the war. We were hunting the National Grasslands south of the National Park when I found a link (would hold 3 50 cal rounds) while walking around looking for antebucks. Pretty rusted but I still have it in my office. Maybe I'll find some more out there some day...

Genesis 1:26