Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 15:43

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Removing stakes
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 14:26 
Trapper
Trapper

How do you guys get your stakes out of frozen ground? Mine is with a whole lot of swearing, and I figured there has to be a better way.

Post subject: Re: Removing stakes
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 15:29 

If you could find one of those old car jacks they work well. Outside of that my suggestion is to wait until spring.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 16:58 
Trapper
Trapper

That's not a bad idea. The only ideas I've thought of was use a halligan to pry it up, or dump antifreeze around the base of the stake, but that isn't very eco-friendly.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 19:40 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

How deep is the frost line?

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 19:48 
Trapper
Trapper

I guess it never crossed my mind to actually measure it, but I'd guess in the neighborhood of 6-10 inches.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 20:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

TheNebraskan wrote:
I guess it never crossed my mind to actually measure it, but I'd guess in the neighborhood of 6-10 inches.

That would be a good ball park figure! I planned on pulling a coulpe dirt holes today to make a couple flat sets. After chopping a good 6 or 7" I gave up. I hit the cable on purpose with the spade and cut the cable clean with one hit. :shock: There was no give in the frozen clay. With the plans to put on another cable stake and make the set, well that didn't happen either. Was no spare stake in the basket. They were in the floor board of my truck. :oops: So carried the gear in a half mile for nothing. The other set stayed a dirt hole, for now. :evil: Pooped me out. I did not expect the frost line to be that bad. :shock:

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 20:32 
Trapper
Trapper

Richard Murray wrote:
TheNebraskan wrote:

That would be a good ball park figure! I planned on pulling a coulpe dirt holes today to make a couple flat sets. After chopping a good 6 or 7" I gave up. I hit the cable on purpose with the spade and cut the cable clean with one hit. :shock: There was no give in the frozen clay. With the plans to put on another cable stake and make the set, well that didn't happen either. Was no spare stake in the basket. They were in the floor board of my truck. :oops: So carried the gear in a half mile for nothing. The other set stayed a dirt hole, for now. :evil: Pooped me out. I did not expect the frost line to be that bad. :shock:

I've been too lazy to make my own stakes, so I use the old stakes from my friends pig pens, and they're 3 feet long. Usually I have a foot of it sticking up out of the ground, but I struggled for half an hour on just one stake before it finally came out of the ground. I can't imagine what I'd do if they were all the way in the ground. Pulling stakes out of frozen ground should be an Olympic sport.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 17:31 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Dodge Cummins

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 17:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I leave mine until spring thaw. I leave the stakes in place for my go to spots that I use year after year.

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 18:55 
Trapper
Trapper

Sac Creek wrote:
Dodge Cummins

My friend that owns this field has one, but he just recently broke his throttle cable. Idling is as fast as it goes.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 17:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

T steel fence post. Weld a hook(heavy hook) about 2 1/2' or so from the bottom or about 15" above te spade. Chop the ground around the cable as best you can and as deep as you can. Hook the trap chain thru the S hook is how we do it. Squat under the top end and stand up with it on your shoulder. We dont use many cables. Using fewer each year i think. 75 jeep pulls some, busts some off too. Watch the cables if you leave them in till next season too. Good luck

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2015, 22:18 
Trapper
Trapper

I took a T Post fence post puller. Drilled a hole in the post plate, and bolt a chain hook to it. Then, I have a 3 1/2 ft piece of chain, with another hook on it. I take the hook on the chain and hook the trap chain at the stake, then hang the chain on the hook bolted to post puller plate. I pull 32" 1/2" rebar stakes like this. Caution. Weld your J hooks! I have straightened out 1 J hook, and had to leave the stake.