Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 18:00

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 14:42 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Hey guys I'm new here, actually my first post. I'm looking for wisdom on how to catch my first one !
I've trapped for about 4 5 seasons now and have caught about 6 foxs (weak I know) along with many coon rats and beaver. So let me explain to see if anyone can help me here

I'm in PA and we just had a snow storm last night, I had the sets brushed off after it hit. I'm doing dirt hole sets only! Not really interested in doing post sets, also traps are staked not drag.

These coyotes don't seem to be in this area every night but maybe 1 out of 3 days

Well last night I had one yote finally get close to the set. He stayed back a distance 10 15 feet, he did not circle it he went behind it (again at 10 15 feet away) and he left? What gives? Traps are cleaned and waxed, I wear rubber boots and handle with rubber gloves except scents.

I use hawbakers long distance call, venison for bait and splash of fox urine on the backing.
So basically if anyone give me any tips at all on what to and bring these guys in that would be fantastic. Also I'm keeping them moderately close the four wheeler paths that they run once in a while but seems that thier running more in the pines and fields rather then the trails,
? Anyhow you guess get the jist of the story

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 15:46 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Welcome to the site ! I am not very good at trapping yotes but there are others on here who are and can give you some good advice. Sounds to me like you are doing things right. Maybe just a trap-shy yote ?

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 15:49 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Welcome to WAT Wblineman. Just keep in mind that animals, somewhat like humans, aren't always interested in eating and may have no interest in checking a new eating situation. What irks me is when I pull a set and then see where a coyote has been digging it up a few days later! :x

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 16:53 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks guys, I freshened it up last night with the lures listed. I was gunna do it again but don't wanna cause a stink bomb. Did he even know it was there I wonder?.. :?

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 17:07 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Wblineman wrote:
Thanks guys, I freshened it up last night with the lures listed. I was gunna do it again but don't wanna cause a stink bomb. Did he even know it was there I wonder?.. :?

They know you are there. You can never totally eliminate all of your scent. Just minimize it as much as possible. Be careful to not to use too much lure . Too much lure is as bad or worse than not enough.

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 18:47 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks doc, will he come back to it? How about keeping scent off it for a few days ?

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 18:49 
Trapper
Trapper

I had a coyote donate one of its toes to a Bridger this year. Ever since then they've been really sketched out about my traps.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 18:57 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Wblineman wrote:
Thanks doc, will he come back to it? How about keeping scent off it for a few days ?

Chances are he will be back around. After I set a trap, for whatever animal, I try to check them from a distance for as long as possible. I only go close to re-lure or re-bait, or for a catch obviously. Like I said, I am no expert on yotes, but I have had traps set for weeks before connecting. Since that yote avoided your dirthole, you might try putting in another set nearby, with different lure and bait. give him another choice.

BINGO Doc, another choice. That is one of the keys to successive trapping. Every once and a while one has to leave the norm pattern to achieve the same results. Over years one learns that one method does not fill the bill.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 19:02 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

First make sure the sets are in spots that aren't going to put the yotes out of their comfort zone. Place the sets as close as possible to their natural travel.

Second, not every yote is willing to commit right away. Some will right away, some will later after a wait, but some may never approach it. Its not uncommon for a 1-2 week wait or longer on a shy type coyote.

Third...i dont know the circumstances as to why you arent interested in flat sets, but this time of year you are likely to have much better luck with them then dirt holes. Early on in season, yes tear up the dirt holes but right now id concentrate on flat sets.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 19:59 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Like Amak said, if you are only going to use dirt holes you are going to have a rough time. This is flat set season. Mainly because of breeding. As far as rebaiting and luring, I by no way would unless you have a wash out rain. To much scent at the set will make it to hot and cause them not to work it. Do not under estimate the power of their nose. Now once the males and females pair up for breeding then they will go back to acting a little bit more normal and start working dirt holes, but by then their pelts are starting on the down hill side, breaking. This is the time of year for glands or gland lures and a "GOOD QUALITY" of yote urine and as far as I am concerned there is not much of that out there. Bladder urine is the best hands down. Scat is a big time producer if you know how to use it. As far as your human scent, like doc said, they know you have been there no matter what you do, but they also know you are no longer there. I check mine up close every check. Your scent does not matter one darn bit. They will work a set when they are ready and sometimes like said above, they may never. Make them sets to where they will have to deal with it. Don't believe the hype that you can draw them in with a great lure or bait. Simply is not true no matter what that bottle says. :wink:

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 21:11 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

You guys are great. Thanks a lot. And Amak and rich I will attempt a flat set, I just didn't wanna try one because I'm more confident with dirt holes. Also seems that their not traveling the road as much, seems that thier just cruising at random, I haven't seen them take the same trail twice lately. But at any rate I'll see what I can do, this might sound very silly but you prolly couldn't turn a dirt hole into a flat could you ? Haha, reason asking this ground is FROZE and i don't got a drag so I'm stuck with stakes and I was gunna try to save time by just using the same set but will relocate if need be. Thanks all

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 21:27 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I'm with richard flat set with either just a urin post or better yet use some of the poop from your trapping area is fine and add some urine fox bobcat or coyote will work if you have any or just a flatset with a call lure right in their travel path and asmll bleached out bone for visual good luck

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 22:05 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

If the yotes are running random paths on you, try to find a nice pinch point or funnel that narrows their travels down. Once you find that, set every dang trail going through it, and maybe on each end of it where the trails branch out. I would try the flat set on the outer funnel sets and blind set the trails in the gut of the funnel. That way if they don't show any inclination to work your flat set, you still may have a good shot of slamming then inside the funnel as they pass through.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 22:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Wblineman wrote:
You guys are great. Thanks a lot. And Amak and rich I will attempt a flat set, I just didn't wanna try one because I'm more confident with dirt holes. Also seems that their not traveling the road as much, seems that thier just cruising at random, I haven't seen them take the same trail twice lately. But at any rate I'll see what I can do, this might sound very silly but you prolly couldn't turn a dirt hole into a flat could you ? Haha, reason asking this ground is FROZE and i don't got a drag so I'm stuck with stakes and I was gunna try to save time by just using the same set but will relocate if need be. Thanks all

Don't use the dirt hole. To many smells there already. I would get no closer than 30 paces at min. Farther is better. Don't over do it with the lure and give it time. A good gland lure is best this time of year. If it's really cold, a good skunky gland lure. GH11 made by fox hollow is a good one with skunk. Don't be afraid to make two sets and use a different gland type of lure. If one does not get their attention the other one might do the trick.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 22:27 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Or I donno what your state laws are but a guy could always buy a dozen snares they are so easy to use.... Esp if you can't connect on a few shy dogs just a thought.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 22:32 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Fish94 wrote:
Or I donno what your state laws are but a guy could always buy a dozen snares they are so easy to use.... Esp if you can't connect on a few shy dogs just a thought.

snares are awesome . :wink: :wink:

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 23:27 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Alright fellas, since we're talking a little bout lures, the gf bought me a early Valentine's Day gift, some caverns gusto lure (skunky smell for the guys who are unfamiliar with it) another thing is how do you guys do you flat sets? Go indepth as much as you desire, I'll watch some videos on it, btw I'm PA and I think we have to have a "snare permit". I never really got into it so that's why I never pursued the permit. Again thanks fellas, season goes out on the 22nd!

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 02:02 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Also with that being said about flat sets, I do have about 7" of snow on the ground so idk how to "blend it in" without creating a crust of snow on the trap after its bedded and covered. Thanks guys

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 02:43 
Trapper
Trapper

He's in Pa, Cable Restraints, I believe, training required; probably no classes this time of year.

Wblineman, reread the entire thread; all advice given is good or better. Another two cents worth; I am a lazy fellow and have tendency to let that guide me, so finding the funnels is first and foremost; they are the only place to set a trap. I could hike a mile or two of trail and set traps in a dozen spots and catch critters in all, but if all the critters have to pass through the funnel, why put that effort out? I believe every coyote on a section of land will pass through exactly the same small bit of ground at some point in their circle. I set heavy at and near that point. Heavy, multiple sets.
Two tracks, atv trails I set no more than a couple of feet from the track and or between the tracks. When I walk a two track looking for sign, more often than not the scat is between the tracks. And a set there is equally distant from both tracks. My reasoning is Mr Coyote is not looking for food in the trail, he is traveling from A to B, but something right in his path might catch his interest for a moment and that is all it takes, one last step.
I personally never "refresh" a set, unless as mentioned a wash out rain. Good lure will attract animals three months later, lots of dug out sets after the grass is green.
When I check I go within three feet of the set and sometimes in some conditions the canine will walk in the path I have broken out rather than break his own path. I think sometimes they want to know what I'm doing there. I'm not a real trapper though; havn't set a single trap this season.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 08:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

tjm wrote:
I'm not a real trapper though; havn't set a single trap this season.

Just because you didn't set a trap this year don't mean your not a real trapper. Knowledge is still knowledge.........right? :wink: :D

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 09:51 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Should I sift snow over the trap on the flat set ?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 11:47 
Trapper
Trapper

Some sets are so tough to make with snow. We have a couple feet, and it is impossible to make a flat set in fluff, and make it anything like natural. So I resort to modified "dirt holes", sets at sharp embankments where there is less snow, and I utilize natural clumps of material and make a real mess to have eye appeal. I chip at the frozen soil under the snow to get a bunch of "fling" appeal. Nothing like dirt on the snow, or plant material flung out. It is no doubt getting their attention, I have just been incredibly unlucky so far. I am a farmer, and so I can trap on my own land and do whatever I want really. So at harvest time, I know where there is areas of tangled crop, or crop that did not feed properly into the combine. I am setting at these areas if they are close to sign. I just dig 'em up! Fling that material all over creation, make it look like a yote was digging up a storm looking for mice. Then I make my sort of hay/dirt hole into the side of the blob of material at the base of it, which ideally is like the size of a muskrat house. Often yotes check these out on their rounds regardless, as they hold mice anyway. Since I have been copying them, and ripping this stuff up like I have seen they do, I have had frequent visits to my sets, but as I said, snow drifting, near misses, and frozen traps at the beginning of my re-entrance into trapping, have been my issue, not the set, not human scent, not my tracks, etc...

I am not having the best luck either: I am getting a lot of interest in my sets, but have had a lot of near misses. Nearly every day I have a set with fresh sign, but they are simply missing my traps by an inch, ( a few times less than half an inch), or else the traps have frozen up after snow events, (had two pan steppers that failed to fire), or what have you. Knowing they are working my sets keeps my confidence up, but it does get old when they miss the pan by less than half an inch.

In snow, in the right place, do not be shy to make a real dang mess of grass, dirt, hay, crop material, what have you. I find it really draws them in, and looks natural. Some of the dirt hole pictures I see, look nice and pretty, but are often too perfect looking IMO. Yotes do not dig out a hole, and then make a perfectly coifed stepping area. They do not sift the soil into a perfect, beach like state. They do not make a near perfectly circular, nearly flat area with their diggings. They are not us. They are not housekeepers who carefully place their diggings into perfection. Yotes in reality, make one heck of a mess if they are on the hunt, or burying a cache,and when there is lots of snow, the more of a mess the better from what I can tell. There is nothing like a bunch of dirtied snow and bunches of straw to make them go, hmmm... From what I am seeing, the eye appeal, makes setting right on a travel route less important, and wind direction as well, because they can see the mess from a long ways off. I have seen tracks approach turn and approach in a direct line to these sets, where I know they never smelled the attractant, just based on wind direction and strength.

Good luck, it seems we both need it...

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 19:46 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Best of luck to you flat tail, I also appreciate the helpful info as well

I would like to post a picture of my first flat set I made to show you guys to see what you think but I can't figure it out lol

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2015, 06:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Welcome to WAT. Im not an expert at all but is it possible the yotes had some experiences with dirtholes and/or your lure/bait combo? They can get set shy too in my experience and need a curve ball. I mainly use Carman lures so im probably not a lot of help with more modern lures. Theres some you can make easily enough with a few ingredients that may work? Gland lure works good this time of year ..