Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 14:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NAFA truck
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 17:17 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Met the NAFA truck today. There were a fair amount of trappers there surprisingly. Lots of beaver pelts, more than I have seen before. The population has really exploded were I live. IT seems that every stream and river has beaver now compared to only a few years ago. AND, I picked up my first top lot hat today. Very excited about that :D

Live Free or Die

Post subject: Re: NAFA truck
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 17:40 

The NAFA guy came by our area on December 27th and I was the only one there. The stop was his 10th and his truck was pretty empty.

That being said, that could be a good sign, short harvest could mean higher prices.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 18:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Class: Mammalia>Order: Rodentia>Family: Castoridae>Genus: Castor (modern beavers)>two species, 1 European, the other North American (Castor canadensis).

And what do rodents do well?? breed!!!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 19:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

trapperrick wrote:
The NAFA guy came by our area on December 27th and I was the only one there. The stop was his 10th and his truck was pretty empty.

That being said, that could be a good sign, short harvest could mean higher prices.

Wake up TR your dreaming again :mrgreen: Nafa agent told me Wed that expect $5.00 to $7.00 average on rats this year. We will see.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 22:13 
Trapper
Trapper

I met the NAFA truck too. Knew 2 of the other trappers there, one of them thankfully doesn't know me by sight, but we aren't chummy you might say. I stayed around and listened to the trappers and fur buyers talk, and learned a little fur handling methods, which was nice. The driver said that this load was bigger than last year's. Hopefully the market picks up.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 22:11 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Dropped off cats, coons, fox, and rats tonight at the pick up spot. Our guy said he doesnt look for much improvment this year. Too much back log of last years fur, and Russia is getting worse economically with oil prices low. He feels only the best of coon, coyote, and fox will do well. Rats will clear but averages will be down from even last years numbers. He was recommending our region hold off on otters, and felt beavers were going to be very low for us too. He said that this might have been a good year to take a bit of a break on most items for us with rats and cats being the exception.

I ask him about the take this auction and he said it was way down. His truck load seemed good but said it was deceiving. From what he could tell the full time trappers were as normal but the so called "hobby" trappers take was down by half. He said for our region, hobby trappers make up the majority of the fur take and relatively few full timers are involved.

At least trapping is still gratifying and satisfying, even if prices for us wont be too good.

However, I did get us some top lot hats, and our first ever pins. I should have asked sooner so i could have a pin for every year we have sent to NAFA. I dig the pins almost more then the hats! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 22:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Only 3 of us to drop off bags here. Truck was only a 1\4 full. Way down. Les said yotes are suspected to do well. Think coon will do about the same as last year and from other sources cats will be down. We will see. It is what it is.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 08:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

So you guys in KS, was this your first NAFA drop and you won't have anything in this end of Jan. sale unless you had stuff left over from last year? If so, I guess we're spoiled up here and have had 2 pick ups already and supposedly they still plan an April one for all furs (in the past except last year, the April pick up was supposed to be just for mrats). I like the idea of having fur in multiple auctions, sort of like selling corn and soybeans across the year on the futures markets.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 08:21 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yep PC, this was our first drop. We only have two. Next one is early April I think. I wished we would have a 3rd drop, because if we spring beaver trap don't have enough time to get beaver done if caught late March for the September sale. Last year I had to ship beaver to FHA. Them beaver are still sitting up there as far as I know. Only 4 beaver but still............ :roll:

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 08:52 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

We had our first NAFA pick up yesterday, it was nice and warm and only 5 trappers were there. But two of them had quite a bit of fur. One does damage control and he is the one with the otter, he had already bagged his other stuff. The husband and wife team had 31 bobcats and about as many coyotes and I have no idea how many coons. The trailer seemed to be filling pretty good as to how our stop was one of the earlier ones.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 19:33 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

We have only 2 pick ups this year also. Not sure why that is? Years past have always been 3 per season.

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 19:44 

WCS wrote:
We have only 2 pick ups this year also. Not sure why that is? Years past have always been 3 per season.

If you noticed WCS, the auction schedule is kind of weird this year also, January, March-April, June and September.

http://www.nafa.ca/auctions

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 21:23 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:
We had our first NAFA pick up yesterday, it was nice and warm and only 5 trappers were there. But two of them had quite a bit of fur. One does damage control and he is the one with the otter, he had already bagged his other stuff. The husband and wife team had 31 bobcats and about as many coyotes and I have no idea how many coons. The trailer seemed to be filling pretty good as to how our stop was one of the earlier ones.

Man Swamp, you guys have a small truck for your fur! They had an 18 wheeler at the pickup I went to! Must be something to do with those small Southern coon :wink:

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 21:59 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

longhairboy wrote:
Swamp Rat wrote:

Man Swamp, you guys have a small truck for your fur! They had an 18 wheeler at the pickup I went to! Must be something to do with those small Southern coon :wink:

Yepper LHB, the proof is in the pudding! :roll: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 22:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:

Good to see lots of pelts from your neck of the woods. I just love looking at your winter pics :P

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2015, 00:02 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I think I see a tree budding..... :lol:

Tell you what, that may not be a big hauler.....but that load of cats sure is! Man there are some real dandies in there i can see. Id love a take like that some day. What a nice pile....

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2015, 14:30 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp, my NAFA pick up guy would be real cranky if guys were at the location separating and bagging fur. He is always rushed and trying to keep on schudule.

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2015, 15:24 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

You know thats something I dont understand either. Fur handlers at our pick up, time after time show up without bagging, tagging, or paperwork being done ahead of time. I get it if they are first timers. But I see guys with large amounts of fur that I recognize from the past that do that over and over again. Our guy dont like it much and ask people to come ready with paper work done but they dont listen. Funny thing is, several of them want to be first at the truck, and try to do all their counting while others wait. He dont let em get away with it though. Seems virtually every time, he has to ask them to step back, and anyone that came prepared to step forward. Some get mad about it! Lol! Whats sad is about 2-3 of us will step forward and thats it. .....and everyone along the way wonders why he can sometimes run late! :roll:

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2015, 15:31 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

First time I dropped off fur, I had it all boxed up because I didn't have one of their bags or the paperwork. I would have never thought about showing up with just skins loose. Maybe they just don't want to let go...

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2015, 19:59 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

It may be a way of "bragging" or "showing off"....I know what Y'all mean.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2015, 20:22 
Trapper
Trapper

Wow, that is something you will never see here. Guys loading fur in short sleeved shirts in January..... :--D

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2015, 20:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:
It may be a way of "bragging" or "showing off"....I know what Y'all mean.

I think you hit the nail on the head Swamp. So far the last two years every body has had their bags ready and paper work done. Les is in and out of here purty quick. He was handing out NAFA hats this year. I like hats. :D

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2015, 20:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Some people who are new that can be expected. But for people who trap lots and send every year to the same auction house, well thats just plain brain dead. You could be right swamp on bragging. Happens up here from time to time but the difference is cold. They always squeak when they have to take their furs out of garbage bags and put in proper shipping bags along with the proper tags and shipping receipt. Doing that in the back of their pick up truck at night with freezing fingers they soon learn this is not the way. When I had the Nafa depot at my place I would always get calls from trappers who had no bags or tags or shipping receipts, seems they lost them or misplaced them. That was fine I always fixed them up from my warm garage. This year not one person showed up with out the proper paper work or bags. I would think if the fur pick up guy said I'm here for 1 hour then I have to go regardless if your fur is ready or not that might light the fire cracker under their you know what to have things done correctly for pick up. Just imagine the look that would be on their faces if they were still left with their fur because of stupidity in shipping.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2015, 14:20 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Our NAFA agent typically has half hour stops East River but Pierre and some of the West River locations, only 15 minutes. Considering they do 12+ hour days over that weekend, I don't think much sorting on site would be tolerated, especially in the cold.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2015, 14:57 
Trapper
Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
Our NAFA agent typically has half hour stops East River but Pierre and some of the West River locations, only 15 minutes. Considering they do 12+ hour days over that weekend, I don't think much sorting on site would be tolerated, especially in the cold.

Same here Roger. We have many(if not all) scheduled 15 minute stops on my drivers route. I have been shipping with NAFA for 4 years now and there are no trappers there who aren't prepared. Everyone gets out of their vehicles with everything bagged up and paperwork ready. I was a newb at one point and the driver, Joe Edminster(who is a hell of a nice guy and gentleman), walked me through what to do.

As for the amount of fur I saw getting shipped I thought it was down. The HUGE trailer was only about 1/8 full. Many of the trappers had only one bag when in past years many had multiple bags. Same amount of trappers..............just the amount of fur was down.

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -