Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 14:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to make snares last?
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2015, 17:20 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I love using snares but they only last for 1 catch. How can I make them last on coon beaver fox and coyote

Picking between a a sleepy creek #3 or a bridger #4 longspring is like picking between a ford f150 and a Chevy silverado.............they both work

Even though one is better (bridger and ford :))

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2015, 18:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

You cant. One shot deal with snares. However you can keep the hardware and create another snare very easily.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2015, 21:34 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

One shot deal.... Build your own the parts are reusable wire is not.... Pretty simple to make....

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2015, 22:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Buy Chinese! Troubles over! :lol: :P

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2015, 10:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak wrote:
You cant. One shot deal with snares. However you can keep the hardware and create another snare very easily.

Very true how ever for myself one catch with the snare and I fire everything in the garbage after including hardware. I use camloc on my snares and there is really know way to determine if the rivet connecting the cam to the body is 100%, so I don't take chances reusing the locks. Just my way :wink:

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2015, 10:42 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I dont blame you or think it weird you operate that way Rob. If I had wolves in my area Id be the same way, and then that habit would flow over to all my catches just like yours has. Makes good sense to me. The biggest thing we even have here is coyote, and so far my yotes have all been dispatched very quickly in the snares so for us its not as important. With any little inclination of wear they hit the trash though. Our cats or fox dont put up much of a fight at allso they last better with them. I will agree that starting completely over each time would be the safest thing to do.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2015, 17:32 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I re-use the parts and use the cable to make cable stakes or extensions.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2015, 21:14 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak wrote:
I dont blame you or think it weird you operate that way Rob. If I had wolves in my area Id be the same way, and then that habit would flow over to all my catches just like yours has. Makes good sense to me. The biggest thing we even have here is coyote, and so far my yotes have all been dispatched very quickly in the snares so for us its not as important. With any little inclination of wear they hit the trash though. Our cats or fox dont put up much of a fight at allso they last better with them. I will agree that starting completely over each time would be the safest thing to do.

ditto on that. Amak im a strange duck when it comes to snaring and I mean strange :lol:

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2015, 22:47 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

wolf1199 wrote:
Amak wrote:

ditto on that. Amak im a strange duck when it comes to snaring and I mean strange :lol:

I will vouch for you being strange Wolf. I could sure use those "used" camlocks on these feral hogs down here. But the real strange thing is that for the two visits up north, you served me breakfast every morning but you never ate....very strange. But don't this as a complaint, just in case I ever visit again. :roll: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 11:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

This wont save every snare of course. But you can put a midline swivel in. Then you can usually re-use at least part of the snare. This also reduces the risk of a Yote or Coon breaking the cable.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 12:30 

doc9013 wrote:
I re-use the parts and use the cable to make cable stakes or extensions.

X2