Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 04:27

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 20:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

wolf1199 wrote:
Mark I think you deserve a 2 point penalty for the buzzard unless you trapped it to eat? :mrgreen:

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 21:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Richard Murray wrote:
wannab wrote:
This is Shannon again - Thank you all for your advice, however i have no clue what a mafia set is. Can someone please explain that to me?

Shannon, both pics are the mafia set. It is a simple trail set, fast and eay to make with a little practice. There are variations to it also. In the top pic you will notice the scat that I placed in the trail. I collect all the yote and cat scat that I come across and also I collect it out of the ones I skin also. The fresher the better, but it can be freshened up with urine though after the set is made. First dig trap bed tight to one side of the trail and bed trap to where the dog side is against the edge of the trail. Blend very well. If you are in a dirt trail I always use my sifter and scrape the trail with it an arms length both ways of the trap before digging the trap bed. Do not disgard what you scrape back as you will use that for the final blending. If you are in a grass trail be sure you do not disrupt any surrounding around the trap bed. You want the set to look the same when you walk away from it as it was when you first got there. In grass trails you will blend back with grass clippings. It is basically a blind set with eye appeal (scat), glands and a little urine. The scat is a stopper. What I mean by that is no critter can seem to go by scat with out stopping to take a smell whether they are hunting or not. Once it is stopped then that is when the glands or gland lure takes over. Be sure the trap jaws are parallel in the trail. After bedding in a dirt trail use use what you scraped back for the final sifting an arms length both ways this will make for a good blending of about 6'. If in grass trail after bedding use grass clippings to blend every thing in. Grass is a little harder to blend, but can be done. When blending is finished place scat in the middle of the trail about 12" pan center, don't matter what end of the trap it is. Now take glands or gland lure and place in grass straight out from trap off the trail about 10' pan center. BE east with the lure, only about a pea size glob is all it takes. You can use a little urine on the scat to freshin it up. Like Sac Creek said, bladder urine is better if you have it, but only use a few drops. Like in your cam pics, make sure the lure is on the bank side of the trap.
If the trail set is on an incline like in my bottom pic be sure to place the scat on the up hill side of the trap. The bottom pic took 3 yotes last year and the top took 1. They wanted nothing to do with my dirt holes close by.
You also mentioned you don't have much time, another variation you can do is use two traps in the trail with the levers almost touching but not quite. When blending is finished place the scat between the two levers with glands under the scat. This way what ever way they aproach down the trail to the scat and gland both ways are guarded. Very deadly. I really like this for coons that are uncovering my pans. It takes care of the trouble makers the next time they come through, but it involves two traps. I don't like useing two traps, but if you are about out of time or have a trouble maker messing with you, it will be their last time. Has not failed me yet. You don't even have to use a lure at this set. The scat and a little urine with two traps will do it just fine for a wise yote. Hope this helps and hope I didn't confuse you. Any questions just ask away. :wink:

THANK YOU RICHARD FOR ALL OF THE INFORMATION!!!!! I will give this a shot.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 22:02 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

wolf1199 wrote:
Good going Mark and Shannon. Win or lose you both are having fun. Mark I think you deserve a 2 point penalty for the buzzard unless you trapped it to eat? :mrgreen:

Wolf, I didn trap the buzzard, it trapped it's self :--D , so I think I deserve a 2 point bonus; after all, not everyone can catch a buzzard!

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 22:09 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I will usually put two of them mafia's in a trail about 30 paces apart. Good chance to pic up a double. :wink:

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2014, 17:37 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

wannab wrote:
wolf1199 wrote:
Good going Mark and Shannon. Win or lose you both are having fun. Mark I think you deserve a 2 point penalty for the buzzard unless you trapped it to eat? :mrgreen:

Quote:
Wolf, after all, not everyone can catch a buzzard!

Your wife beat you at that years ago when she married you!....ya ol buzzard!!! :lol: Plus she kept you around longer....I feel the points should go to Shannon! Lol! Just teasin Wannab... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2014, 17:41 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Richard Murray wrote:
I will usually put two of them mafia's in a trail about 30 paces apart. Good chance to pic up a double. :wink:

Rich, why do you suppose Craig called that a mafia set? Isnt it really just a flat/scent post type set made right in the trail? I guess im not getting what makes it any different then a scent post type set with poop. Fill me in please?

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2014, 18:02 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Amak wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:

Rich, why do you suppose Craig called that a mafia set? Isnt it really just a flat/scent post type set made right in the trail? I guess im not getting what makes it any different then a scent post type set with poop. Fill me in please?

That's all it is. That set has been used since trapping begun. OG just put a different name on it. Many sets get accredited to some pro but in reality the sets were used long before the pro came on the scene. For example, not sure who came up with the trench set/step down set, I think Leggets refined it some for fox trapping and I think Charlie Dobbins gets some credit with a step down dirt hole, but I watched my Granddad do a variation of the trench set on coyote back in the late 60's. Not sure where old Granddad learned his methods, maybe passed down from his father who knows. :D
J

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2014, 18:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sac Creek wrote:
Amak wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:

That's all it is. That set has been used since trapping begun. OG just put a different name on it. Many sets get accredited to some pro but in reality the sets were used long before the pro came on the scene. For example, not sure who came up with the trench set/step down set, I think Leggets refined it some for fox trapping and I think Charlie Dobbins gets some credit with a step down dirt hole, but I watched my Granddad do a variation of the trench set on coyote back in the late 60's. Not sure where old Granddad learned his methods, maybe passed down from his father who knows. :D
J

Give me a little time and I will have that answer for you. It's in his book Hoofbeats of a Wolfer. I have it. Just have to dig through it again. I remember a little why he called it that. But want to make sure I give you the correct answer.lol. It's something about giving the yote more than one option. I will give the history on Charlie Robbins also, it is in the same book also. Crap just remembered I loaned that book out a week ago. I will go get it back. It's not far. If I remember right Jeff was wanting to know who Charlie Robbins was. Craig gives a lot of history in that book that goes back to many decades of trapping. Even Bill Nelson and many others and who came up with the original sets that people think that they invented. He gives credit where credit is due. I have to agree with him that there is no such thing as a new set. :wink:

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2014, 21:40 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Amak wrote:
wannab wrote:
wolf1199 wrote:

Quote:
Wolf, after all, not everyone can catch a buzzard!

Your wife beat you at that years ago when she married you!....ya ol buzzard!!! :lol: Plus she kept you around longer....I feel the points should go to Shannon! Lol! Just teasin Wannab... :mrgreen:[
That's to funny great minds think alike I was gonna say the same thing when I read that :mrgreen: :mrgreen: just funnin Mark/quote]

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2015, 13:21 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

We'll she got me today. Nothing yesterday and only had this small cat today, which we turned loose.

Had decent color.

Dang thang set there with me, her, and the dog watching us remake the set.

Sorry about the pic quality, don't know what she did

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2015, 14:42 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Wannab, I would guess the picture is blurred because Shannon was jumping with joy about her cat vs your buzzards. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2015, 14:44 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp Rat wrote:
Wannab, I would guess the picture is blurred because Shannon was jumping with joy about her cat vs your buzzards. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol, I think you are right. I heard about it quite a bit!!

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2015, 15:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Lol i bet you did hear about it! Friendly competition is good. Whats your buzzard trapping secrets ;-)?

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2015, 19:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

MMMMM, another cat today she caught and you released. There are two things that enter my little mind. One is that you are ticked and said you had to release just to stay ahead or by releasing you have a chance at snagging it and pulling ahead even more. Shannon one point for the catch and 2 more points for a release. Seems fare to me.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2015, 20:44 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

wolf1199 wrote:
MMMMM, another cat today she caught and you released. There are two things that enter my little mind. One is that you are ticked and said you had to release just to stay ahead or by releasing you have a chance at snagging it and pulling ahead even more. Shannon one point for the catch and 2 more points for a release. Seems fare to me.

X2

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2015, 20:58 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

wolf1199 wrote:

Wolf, I un-friend you! Lmao

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2015, 21:11 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

wannab wrote:
wolf1199 wrote:

Wolf, I un-friend you! Lmao

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2015, 21:50 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Wannab, a couple years ago we caught a couple young cats. They were 11 and 12 lbs. We decided to take them but at the time i felt a little bad about it. Later when they sold, 11lb cat brought $135 and the 12lb cat brought $90. What they lack in size they make up for in velvety soft silky hair, which always commands a better price. Last year i took a 14 lb tom. He was very silky. He brought $300, my highest priced cat to date. We all have a limit. But even the 11 lb cat went as a med size on the board. They do make a slot for smalls, but id imagine they would be under 10 lbs. I figure 10lbs and over are fair game at those prices.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2015, 09:07 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Amak wrote:
Wannab, a couple years ago we caught a couple young cats. They were 11 and 12 lbs. We decided to take them but at the time i felt a little bad about it. Later when they sold, 11lb cat brought $135 and the 12lb cat brought $90. What they lack in size they make up for in velvety soft silky hair, which always commands a better price. Last year i took a 14 lb tom. He was very silky. He brought $300, my highest priced cat to date. We all have a limit. But even the 11 lb cat went as a med size on the board. They do make a slot for smalls, but id imagine they would be under 10 lbs. I figure 10lbs and over are fair game at those prices.

Hmmm, now you tell me!

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2015, 20:37 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Well boys, the fat lady is not singing yet, but, by golly she has her throat cleared and her vocals tuned up. Shannon nailed me again today!!

She caught this really nice 23lb tom, and I caught a............

I'm still ahead in numbers, but I think the quality fur is way in her favor.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2015, 21:23 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

:lol: :lol: :lol: wannab you eat crow like a real Southern Gentleman! That was quite a cat Shannon nailed. Are Y'all finished now?

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2015, 22:48 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Nice catch Shannon

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 00:31 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yep some mighty fine fur crossing your paths. You both have done super. Good to see some competition between the both of you as it was fun following. Good luck to the both of you in what happens next. At the end of the day you are both winners.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 21:49 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That's a nice wide white belly on that cat, very nice Shannon. Nice yote too. You two are kickin it! 8)

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2015, 17:38 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp Rat wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: wannab you eat crow like a real Southern Gentleman! That was quite a cat Shannon nailed. Are Y'all finished now?

Swamp, we pulled em today, done for now, maybe in a few weeks we can try again. I wound up with 4-yotes, 2-coon, 2-grinners, 1-cat. Shannon had 3-cat, 2-yotes, 1-coon, and 1-grinner. I am very proud of her on her first time of trapping all on her own, and not to bad for 14 day of steel out on 76 acres. I am so blessed to have a wife that enjoys doing what I like to do, and will go with me. God has truly blessed me with a wonderful, beautiful wife, and I thank Him ever day for her.