Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 18:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: otter sign and trapping
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 10:46 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I need some help with identifying animal scat.....it is along a small river that is known to have river otters even though they are rare here. The scat is on top of old beaver slides and its full of fish scales and bones. It is the size of raccoon, but I think its otter due to the fact its full of fish bones and scales. I know raccoons will eat fish, but whatever laid this turd has had a heavy diet of fish, and I don't know of raccoons that only poop on top of old beaver slides. There was no tracks to be found. So whatever it is, it seems to have came out of the water, shat, and went quickly into the water.

Im thinking of putting #2 dukes at the base of the slides, and using pocket sets baited with fresh fish and fresh muskrat. Everything will be drowning sets because an otter will twist out. I have conni 330s and a duke #4 but they are being used at my beaver spots. I may buy a conni 220 if I find a good spot for a blind set. Any suggestions on otter trapping is appreciated 8)

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 17:42 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Definately otter scat.
One other thing you dont want to over look is the fact that otters will often go long distances along the top bank trails. Most of the scat i find up on top is around old beaver bank dens that have caved in from the top, or just along the top bank trail that for whatever reason makes a good marking spot. I have on occation seen them leave the water, go to the top, and then back down....but its rare. Most of the time when they come from the water to mark and intend on going back into the water just after, marking is almost always done within a few feet of the water. I say all this because if its legal, an otter running a top trail is an easy catch near a toilet scent location. A couple 220 in the trail in nice tight pinch points and concealed with camo grasses and such are deadly. The otter WILL come back to that scent location.....its not by chance it put it there. I got them on trail cams doing the same thing, its that dependable.

If indeed it is using the slide, you still have that under control. Just remember, have patience. I have timed bucks to come around as long as every 2 weeks. It seems like they visit a certain river section for a few days then move on for a bit. Later they reappear. If your timing is good you can get a pretty quick catch...if not, you need to remember the otter WILL be back and WILL check out that scent spot (scat) so keep faith. Make top quality sets, and cluster them in numbers in the area. You dont want to miss when he comes back around....so do everything in your power to make it happen when he returns. I use mainly blind sets with body grips. Blind setting otters is the best route in my humble opinion.

You will get him. Good luck.

Last edited by Amak on 21 Dec 2014, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 17:55 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thanks!

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2014, 20:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I cant add a lot too Amaks post. We got our first otter sunday morning in a blind set 220. We're otter illiterate. Your rat may work as this otter or his traveling companion(s) ate two rats out of run sets. We gang set the lake with 220's in likely looking blind sets and set several footholds where they left scat and muskrat tidbits. Patience is a key i think to otter trapping. There hadnt been any sign on this lake since first week of season. About 7 weeks ago. Good luck, you'll get him ..

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2014, 22:22 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

This was something I am not sure I've ever seen before, along side of a stock pond I found old otter scat alongside old coyote scat, with fresh deer and coyote tracks.