Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 18:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storing Dried Hides
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 22:56 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

So as I was looking through the auction catalogs from the last sale, I realized that all of our dark brown colored coyotes were bought back. That got me thinking about maybe keeping all my fleshed and dried coyotes until next year in hopes of better clearance and prices. So how long will they last and how should I store them if I decide to do so?

Post subject: Re: Storing Dried Hides
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 08:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I never liked keeping dried furs over the summer, too much headache watching for moths etc. theres a little weevil thing here that loves them too. Im sure someone'll will have a better method then our old one but mothballs and poison will be needed. I dont know how many hides you have but it may not be worth it? The auction houses are setup for that.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 09:31 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

For me, I would send them and let NAFA store them. If you decide to keep them there are two ways to keep them. The freezer is one option, but that will take up room. The other option will be to keep them in an air condition room about 55 degrees or so, but they will need to be put in a giant zip loc bags because of the bugs will destroy them. Uline does have the giant bags, but again that involves extra cost. For a few pelts it would not be worth it. The market wants the paler yotes for the trim trade so the darkies will be a little tougher to move or a reduced price anyways. :wink:

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 09:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Ditto here. Let NAFA earn their commission by doing the storage. They have the facilities, you probably don't. Like I said in a previous post, unless you want to move to the Northern Plains or somewhere out west, your yotes will mostly likely be medium desired goods. Don't use 2013 auctions as a benchmark. Averages over time is probably a truer indication of what your items will bring in my opinion.

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 09:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

P.S. Think of alternative markets for your yote products as well. Generally people who want a yote skin as a wall hanger aren't fur graders or fashion house designers so there's another option if you want to do some home tanning. Remember cleaned yote skulls and/or teeth also have markets and those people don't care what color the fur was on the animal...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 10:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
P.S. Think of alternative markets for your yote products as well. Generally people who want a yote skin as a wall hanger aren't fur graders or fashion house designers so there's another option if you want to do some home tanning. Remember cleaned yote skulls and/or teeth also have markets and those people don't care what color the fur was on the animal...

Good point PC! :wink:

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 11:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

iloveguns22 wrote:
So as I was looking through the auction catalogs from the last sale, I realized that all of our dark brown colored coyotes were bought back. That got me thinking about maybe keeping all my fleshed and dried coyotes until next year in hopes of better clearance and prices. So how long will they last and how should I store them if I decide to do so?

If you want to store them at home your freezer is the best place till next year. All I have ever done is put my hides into a black garbage bag, try and get as much air out as possible and tie. Then I add one more bag. I have kept 15 otter for 2 years before shipping. The other option you have is to ship your fur in spring to Nafa and request that this fur be held till next years auction.

Also nonPCfed came up with another good solution for your dark colour yotes.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 11:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Make sure you check you game laws also, some stars, mine included dont allow possession of green hides after certain time frames. The novelty etc market may be an option too as PC said. In the past during lower market years weve made as much if not more with the alternative markets, espescially on skulls and finished rugs, dream catchers, "beaver" hoop wall hangings etc.. Also you can make your own garments or if you have a wife, mom, significant other etc you can have stuff made for them too. Some fur houses will take extra hides in trade in lieu of a big cash outlay. Here we cant make fur hats , gloves, mittens etc quick enough.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 12:09 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Will NAFA hold yotes until they sell? Because I'm okay taking a $25 average but I don't want them to get thrown away if the dont sell in 2 or 3 sales.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 14:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

iloveguns22 wrote:
Will NAFA hold yotes until they sell? Because I'm okay taking a $25 average but I don't want them to get thrown away if the dont sell in 2 or 3 sales.

Yes they will hold yotes until they sell. Last year I had fur that took 3 sales to finally sell. My brother still has some of his fur that will go again on Naf's next sale. This will make it the 4th kick at the cat. The only time Nafa throws out the fur is if it is worthless or next to it and cannot even sell it for trim. FHA does the same.