Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 02:35

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: chain length
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2014, 23:19 
Trapper
Trapper

How long should my chain be in between my trap and earth anchor? Is it better to have it longer so they don't pump it out?

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

Post subject: Re: chain length
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2014, 23:52 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Depends on your staking system. With single rebar and spike type stakes you would for sure need around 24 inches. I dont know many that would recommend a single rebar stake though for coyotes. With rebar/spike stakes on coyotes, use a good cross staking yoke or system....then pumping out isnt an issue and short chains are the most humane and effective to keep the animal contained so it doesnt run hard, build speed, and hit the chain end hard time after time. With earth anchors and disposables a single stake with short trap chain is best for same reasons.

You are liable to get several varying opinions though so it comes down to you making the best choice for you. I like a short chain around 12 inches with appropriate stakes for said reasons above.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2014, 02:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

My choice is a cross or dual staking system on yotes with a very short chain. I dont use earth anchors so i dont know if mines too short for those but 6"- no more then 1'. Swivels are key, more the better. I wont skimp on swivels either, buy the best, its money well spent.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2014, 07:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I am a short chainer also, 12" and that includes 3 swivels. I use earth anchors. Lighter and less bulk to carry and the holding power is awesome. :wink:

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 11:26 
Trapper
Trapper

My set up is swivel, three links of chain, swivel, three links of chain, swivel, 12 inches of chain then a an S hook to a super stake. Every joint is welded shut. Depending on how deep I drive in the super stake there is around 10" to 12" of exposed chain for them to move.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 14:01 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have two different setups on my traps. One setup is about 20 inches of chain with three swivels and a single stake swivel. I use a 24" rebar stake with this system.

The second setup is for a cross stake. Since this photo I have added a swivel in the middle, for a total of three swivels. I generally use a 20" stake and a shorter 15-16" stake with this method.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2014, 09:26 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Sac Creek wrote:
I have two different setups on my traps. One setup is about 20 inches of chain with three swivels and a single stake swivel. I use a 24" rebar stake with this system.

The second setup is for a cross stake. Since this photo I have added a swivel in the middle, for a total of three swivels. I generally use a 20" stake and a shorter 15-16" stake with this method.

I was hoping you would post J. Nice pics and explaination. Hey, I was wondering what you used for the added base plate on the duke or whatever trap make is on top with the shorter chain?

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2014, 10:36 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Amak, it was just some 3/8" rod I had laying around. Put it in the vice and make a small bend to fasten your D-Ring to, weld the rest solid.