Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 19:36

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: redoing traps
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 13:09 
Trapper
Trapper

I decided last summer to try some FMJ dip for some new traps. I guess i could say that it worked ok but not really sold on it. Now after some catches and just general use, they are rusting. I want to redo them in wax instead of the dip but not sure what to do to them to prep them. They need boiled but I'm not sure what boiling them after they have been dipped will do to them. I wish I would have just waxed them to start with but I guess you live and learn. Do any of you have experience with getting the FMJ off?

Post subject: Re: redoing traps
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 16:48 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Oh boy....i hate dips for this very reason. Your only hope is to let them soak a long while in gasoline or at least some kind of petroleum disolate. The only way to "cut" a substance is with the same thing used as a base, which id imagine FMJ being petroleum based. If not and its water soluable, soak them in water for as long as you can. It will at least soften, and then the joy of scraping it off by hand is next. I dont think there is a great way to go about it, and is a negative drawback to the stuff. I feel for you as I've made a similar switch several years ago. I was lucky enough to only do a dozen and a half traps in the dip product i used. Hope you dont have many to do....its not fun. Thats why i always try to warn people off from that junk.

Ps...cat man jr just informed me FMJ is water based, so soaking and or boiling in water ( id boil then soak a week or longer if needed) a long time will soften it enough for it to be scraped off. Good luck.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 18:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak wrote:
Oh boy....i hate dips for this very reason. Your only hope is to let them soak a long while in gasoline or at least some kind of petroleum disolate. The only way to "cut" a substance is with the same thing used as a base, which id imagine FMJ being petroleum based. If not and its water soluable, soak them in water for as long as you can. It will at least soften, and then the joy of scraping it off by hand is next. I dont think there is a great way to go about it, and is a negative drawback to the stuff. I feel for you as I've made a similar switch several years ago. I was lucky enough to only do a dozen and a half traps in the dip product i used. Hope you dont have many to do....its not fun. Thats why i always try to warn people off from that junk.

Ps...cat man jr just informed me FMJ is water based, so soaking and or boiling in water ( id boil then soak a week or longer if needed) a long time will soften it enough for it to be scraped off. Good luck.

Yes, cat man is right, fmj is water based. If the soaking don't work, you may try a cement mixer and sand, if you have access to a mixer. I know of guys that have tried the mixer and sand and said it got most of it off, but not all it.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 20:07 

Would soaking in vinegar possibly work faster or just rust out his traps?

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 07:14 
Trapper
Trapper

I do have access to a small sand blaster but I didn't know if it would damage the springs. I only have 7 of the bridger #2 dogless that I'm worried about for now. I also did a dozen bridger 1.75's but I'm hoping I can pawn them off on someone else ;--)

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 07:55 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Im unsure on sand, but i know bead blasting will ruin about any kind of spring. That was a big nono at the machine shop/fabrication shop i use to woek at. Id bet sand blasting is the same.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 10:22 

Why would sand blasting ruin trap springs?

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 10:34 
Trapper
Trapper

Well I guess we will find out if it will do anything to the springs. I just got done blasting them a little while ago before reading Amak's post. Time will tell. I must say though, they cleaned up real nice :--D

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 15:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We use to lightly sandblast old traps to clean them up for painting with black stove paint for wallhangers. I never noticed any loss of spring strength.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 20:23 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

In looking on the net, I think there is much debate over if it damages springs or not. Some think its the heat build up from the blasting but I find that theory bordering ridiculous. What I was told by my employer was the media makes tiny pocts in the metal all over it with many hits right in the same pocts.. That in turn allows for tiny weak spots forming microscopic lines leading from one weak poct area to another, like dot to dot drawings. Over some time those lines begin to open up from spring pressure, and eventually the spring breaks following the same weak line. If you ever have broken big rock, brick, or concrete slab with a sledge hammer you can relate. A guy can smack numerous times across concrete in a line and it wont break for a while....but following the same spots as hit before will eventually break it cleanly and the crack closely follows the hammers strike pattern. Its very similar with sand blasting springs only with time delayed results. They wouldnt let us bead blast springs even, though i find on the net where they say bead is safe. I did notice there is a type of media used now days that will not do the possible harm to springs but now i cant remember what it was called. In any case, damage to the springs is a risk, not a given. So maybe the traps will be ok. And like i said...its very much debated. I figure my employer had a reason, to at least not want to take chances with springs that would go into expensive automobile engine rebuilding machinery....but who knows?

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2014, 07:39 
Trapper
Trapper

Amak wrote:
In looking on the net, I think there is much debate over if it damages springs or not. Some think its the heat build up from the blasting but I find that theory bordering ridiculous. What I was told by my employer was the media makes tiny pocts in the metal all over it with many hits right in the same pocts.. That in turn allows for tiny weak spots forming microscopic lines leading from one weak poct area to another, like dot to dot drawings. Over some time those lines begin to open up from spring pressure, and eventually the spring breaks following the same weak line. If you ever have broken big rock, brick, or concrete slab with a sledge hammer you can relate. A guy can smack numerous times across concrete in a line and it wont break for a while....but following the same spots as hit before will eventually break it cleanly and the crack closely follows the hammers strike pattern. Its very similar with sand blasting springs only with time delayed results. They wouldnt let us bead blast springs even, though i find on the net where they say bead is safe. I did notice there is a type of media used now days that will not do the possible harm to springs but now i cant remember what it was called. In any case, damage to the springs is a risk, not a given. So maybe the traps will be ok. And like i said...its very much debated. I figure my employer had a reason, to at least not want to take chances with springs that would go into expensive automobile engine rebuilding machinery....but who knows?

That sounds like a plausable theory to me. I will just have to keep an eye on them and see what happens. The first sign of weekening and they will be switched out on all of them (only 7) It took me about 15 minutes to do all of the traps and from what you guys said about having to boil and scrape, it will be worth it if I do have to change springs :D

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2014, 08:33 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I agree cc. Springs are cheap enough compared to the work and not that difficult to replace. Might be different if a guy had 50 or 100 traps...... heck if a guy was ambitious and wanted too you could just remove the springs and blast the rest of the trap then remount them and just let the crap wear off the springs. As long as the springs didnt break on an animal i wouldnt mind trading having to get new springs for saved work....imo its worth it.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2014, 13:38 
Trapper
Trapper

Amak wrote:
I agree cc. Springs are cheap enough compared to the work and not that difficult to replace. Might be different if a guy had 50 or 100 traps...... heck if a guy was ambitious and wanted too you could just remove the springs and blast the rest of the trap then remount them and just let the crap wear off the springs. As long as the springs didnt break on an animal i wouldnt mind trading having to get new springs for saved work....imo its worth it.

In the end it all comes down to one thing, Anyone want 3/4's of a gallon of FMJ :cry: