Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 23:35

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MY 550
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 12:29 
Trapper
Trapper

Is a double coil 550 enough for all sizes of coyotes?

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

Post subject: Re: MY 550
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 12:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Of course. In the yote sized traps, any two coiled trap has the power to hold any yote. Now the frame of the trap may be a different story (which the 550 will be fine there as well), but it will have plenty of power to hold.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 12:55 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks for the help. I was just wondering if 2 springs was enough. What are the advantages of a 4 coil over a double coil?

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 13:13 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Most using 4 coils seem to think the extra power will break through crusted snow better than 2 coils. Problem with coils, in general, is the springs freezing down, which would slow them from coming up through the covering. Need to make sure the bed isn't likely to freeze the springs. This usually isn't a problem, but it does happen. Most of my coyote and cat traps are double longsprings. Even if the base freezes down, the springs don't and will still close the jaws, unless the bedding itself is frozen, top to bottom. Using coils or longsprings is a personal choice. To each their own.

REM

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 13:25 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks remrogers. I think I'm going with MB 550's and just save myself trouble down the line.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 15:24 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Rems right.. Its all personal preference and decisions. Pros and cons to long springs BS coilsprings. Those MBs are a great trap but kinda pricey.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 19:42 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I was at one time an advocate of 4 coiling. They are stronger, slightly faster.....but honestly you will not see the difference in a practical way on the line as 2 coils are plenty fast enough and strong enough. Like rem said, freeze proofing is the only good answer to freeze problems. I do not go for the idea of them busting up through frosted covering or breaking free from being frozen down in the bed. Reason being, any time crusting or frosting takes place, even if the material is broken up by the trap, there will be frozen chunks within the jaws path, and jaws will clog with it preventing a hit. Not to mention the amount of time the trap takes to fire once the pan is tripped, producing a type of "hang fire".....Just enough to miss and educate the animal, or poorly hit the animal that may likely escape. In either case id rather the trap just flat not fire as to that....even though i think frozen is frozen with either 2 or 4 coiled. I've used 4 coil traps long enough to know its a farce to use them for that reason. Honestly the only true and positive things about them over 2 coils, is they are a more balanced firing trap causing less sideways torque and violent jumping around. They still do the same to a degree, just not as bad. Once again though you are not likely to notice the difference out on the line in catches or misses. The only other good reason to use 4 coils is because your favorite trap only comes that way....like my beloved MB650's. If they came 2 coiled I'd buy them instead. The 4 coils do tend to add confidence to some people, but I dont know why when the 2 coil versions do just as well. Since learning to freeze proof properly i have zero issues with either styles.

That MB 550 is a coyote catching machine..... I know as I own them and they are one very nice yote and bobcat trap. I've taken some very big animals of both species in 550 and never let me down at any time. Well worth the extra money for the heavy build and locking design. You will love them.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 20:02 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks Amak. I decided to go with quality over quantity for my yote traps. A small order turned into a very expensive order tonight because every time I thought I was done I found something else I just had to have. Hopefully I'll get me a song dog soon.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 20:14 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

jermbonoutdoors wrote:
Thanks Amak. I decided to go with quality over quantity for my yote traps. A small order turned into a very expensive order tonight because every time I thought I was done I found something else I just had to have. Hopefully I'll get me a song dog soon.

UH-OH!!!!!!!! HE'S GOT THE TRAPPERS DISEASE!!!!!

I know how that is. For 3-4 years straight I dropped well over $1000 on equipment and traps every year, and I really dont know how many $100-$500 dollar orders I've made. My buying finally came to a minimum a couple years ago, but now I have every trap I could ever want and more.....all purchased with fur checks! Hang in there, you will make some money back and traps will pay for themselves. Mine already have.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 20:26 
Trapper
Trapper

At this point I honestly don't think much about making money on my line. I love the learning experience. This is my third year of trapping and usually it was just running a small coon line and I never broke even but now I want to get some multi species action. It's tough figuring things out without a trapping mentor there with me but it's all fun. Thanks for all the help guys. Sorry for the dumb questions I've asked and all that I will ask. :oops: I just want to be sure that when I hit the line with new traps I have some confidence.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 20:44 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Hey listen the only dumb question is the one never asked about. You are doing exactly what a good responsible and serious growing trapper should do. Never feel bad or inadequite for asking. We all would much rather help any way we can to get you going good and straight.

At this point the experiance is everything. At some point in time you will likely at least seek to break even....but all in good time. Just have fun for now!