Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 22:36

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: help with coyote gear
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 21:40 
Trapper
Trapper

I'm fully committed to catching my first coyote this year. Plenty of tracks around now I just need some more gear (I only have one coyote trap.) I was thinking for my order from Fnt post I'm gonna get a couple Bridger #2's (4 coils) along with some more kaatz bros Red label and some hawbakers fox and coyote #4 lure. Am I on the right track or would you guys recommend something else. Appreciate any help guys.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 22:11 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Sounds like a good start to me jermbon. Go for it.....good luck on your first coyote.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 22:26 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks for the feedback Amak. I caught a squirrel in my set today. Does that mean my pan tension is too light and will all that squirrel scent attract or deter yotes? I released the squirrel (unharmed) so I wouldn't get blood all over the set.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 22:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

#2's has caught many a song dogs, but I would go no smaller than a #3 trap with lams. Plus they will double up as a fine big footed cat trap as well. :wink:

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 22:43 
Trapper
Trapper

We don't have bobcats in our area but we have a few fox and I feel like a #3 would be overkill on fox. Correct me if I'm wrong though. I know my #4 is too strong for fox.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 22:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

jermbonoutdoors wrote:
Thanks for the feedback Amak. I caught a squirrel in my set today. Does that mean my pan tension is too light and will all that squirrel scent attract or deter yotes? I released the squirrel (unharmed) so I wouldn't get blood all over the set.

Pan tension is to light. 3 to 4 1\2lbs is ideal for yotes. 3lbs being the lightest. Don't have to worry about the squirrels scent either or your scent as well. It does not matter. If it did none of us would catch any. Blood doesn't matter either. just wipe off what you can with some grass, leaves or what ever. Don't have to be perfect. I get blood on every trap and still make multiple catches with the trap. Blood in the catch circle doesn't matter either. Go catch a song dog. Will be waiting for pics. :wink:

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 22:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

#3 is a bit much for fox. And then again a 4 coiled #2 would be also. You might want to stay with the 2 coiled for fox. 2 coiled will hold a yote just as well as a 4 coiled.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 22:52 
Trapper
Trapper

Alright thanks for the help guys. I probably shouldn't be buying any trapping supplies considering I'm out of a job for the next month but I want a coyote bad. :lol:

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 22:59 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Richards right on trap size.. No.2 2coiled will hold yotes jut fine in most locales and its at the top end for size as far as fox. Its a compromise when chasing K9s. If i may suggest a lure..or lures? Kaatz is good stuff and i use a lot of their stuf and even bought some of their tricked out used no.11's. Russ carman is the lure i recommend, espescially to beginners.. Pros choice and trails end. For the money id put them up against any ive ever used or made. I make a copy of both but i dont know if its just in my head but it seems like the originals do a little better? Good luck.. Where ya from generally?

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 23:07 
Trapper
Trapper

I live up here in northern Indiana. I was thinking about the 4 coiled 2's because mid winter trapping I want something that can bust through faster if the ground freezes up good but if a 2 coil is easier on the fox then I'll go with them. Thanks for the recommendation on lures. I'll check out russ carmans stuff.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 01:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Ive got an ex with relatives around Indy. Their fox n totes are like ours and dont run real bug(central illinois). I think you'll find 2 coils is plenty unless your setting in snow with a heavy crust. If you bed the trap on wax paper, bread/sandwich bags etc it wont freeze down unless theres a thaw thru the day and freeze at night. Those work good for us. Light dusting of dirt then a thin cover of snow. Most of our winter K9 traps are 2 coiled, 1.5's, 1 3/4-1.75's with a sprinkling of no.2 coils with some no2DLS. Id rather lose a yote on occasion(which is rare anyhow) then have a lot of damage to a fox or lose them outright to twist offs etc.. A lot of trapping is personal opinion. Noones "right", we each just know what works for us.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2014, 19:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I pick up the occasional fox in my #3s. Both LS and CS. Don't usually have much trouble with damage. Remember that size relates more to jaw size than power. Caught a big male fox in a Yote set last week. The bleeping yotes killed him and tore his tail off. But after I took the trap off you couldn't really tell which paw had been caught.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2014, 23:00 

I'll be the odd ball here and suggest that a mb550 offset would be perfect for yotes, cats, and works for fox.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2014, 11:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

what is the jaw size on those? I am too lazy to look for myself.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2014, 13:08 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Woods ,,,,they are about a #2 sized trap. The shape is more oblong though with the lever ends of the jaw being the widest point instead of the dog side and opposite of, being the widest like many traps. So in one direction are slightly bigger then a #2, and the other direction around the size of a 1.75.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2014, 19:56 

They also come with extra long spring pins so you can add two more springs, or just buy them four coiled.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 08:56 
Trapper
Trapper

Ok guys I'll give my two cents worth here and hopefully no one is mad when I'm done. First off on the four coiled question I would lean towards the 2 coils unless you are constantly in hard freeze conditions.. I'm going to have to say that a 2 coiled trap in hard frozen ground is not anywhere even comparable to a 4 coiled trap. It's not about breaking through the crust when it finally fires. It's about how fast the jaws close when it finally does fire. As amak stated it creates kind of a hang fire effect and he is absolutely correct.. however in this situation a 2 coiled trap versus a 4 coiled trap is like comparing a yugo to a Ferrari..There is absolutely no comparison... the four coiled traps will win hands down everytime..... as for the #2 trap size. Great choice... the larger jaw spread and larger pan of a no3 size trap make them excellent for cats and yotes.... but do not think a #2 isn't fully capable of producing consistent catches. One of the best coyote trappers I know used nothing but the old nw 1.75s 4 coiled baseplate and laminated. One could sit and argue about the trap size he uses which I have seen guys do... he simply says well tell the 3-400 coyotes a year I catch in them that:) I'm not arguing with the guy ... the no 2 have lots of pros over #3s. 1 they are lighter by far and twice as many traps can be carried.. 2 they are cheaper..
3 in alot of places most brands don't have to be offset making the great for coon, yote,fox,and cats..... let's not at all say that a #2 isn't as good as a no3 because I think that the Bridger 2 and the mb 550 are the leader in mid size coilspring traps.there are more Bridger 2,s and 550,s sold than all other midsized coilspring ( except for duke and we won't compare price

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2015, 08:08 
Trapper
Trapper

iam going to have to say, that iam not a fan of big traps, and my 2 cents is you do not need them. A good quality trap, like Tim Caven is making(550 os) or even the newer 450 offset is plenty.. They will hold, and catch any fur bearing animal that I have in this state(Mt.) from Mt lion to coyote.. I believe a good quality trap is worth the money, they come preset at 2 ponds witch is what I use, posi pans with crunch proof dogs and so on.. Iam not trying to give a sales pitch, I have used victors, Dukes, sleepy creek, etc. When the 550s came out I bought just 4 of them to try, now I have over 8 dozen.. Like said above you can four coil if you want, and they are easy to bed as well..

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 08:10 
Trapper
Trapper

One thing is for sure when you catch your first yote , you'll be hooked!!!