Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 21:59

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 13:24 
Trapper
Trapper

First of all I want to thank everyone that posts on here. I feel I went from knowing NOTHING about trapping to knowing enough to put some steel in the ground and maybe even catch something just from this site. Ok-I have been all over the internet looking things up but this place is by far the best.

My boy (14) started showing an interest so we kind of jumped in with both feet this fall, buying our supplies. I have used the phrase "Don't tell mom" more than once this fall when showing him the latest UPS arrival. Anyway, he is in basketball (and I am the coach) so we don't have time to do much right now but we have set 2 coilsprings in a culvert close to the house and caught our first grinner 2 days ago. A one dollar? grinner and we both couldn't wipe the smile off our face.

My question today is on a topic I have seen on here but not in a way that is area specific. Prime fur- We are going to try to set several traps over the 14 day Christmas break and was wondering if all the fur in southern Indiana is still prime by then. I read enough on here or other places that made me wonder. We will be targeting coon, coyote and beaver (overly ambitious I know, but have access to areas where these will be the main furbearer and he wants to try).

Thanks
Hoosier71

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 15:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Good luck and welcome to the addiction first off. I congratulate you both on your first catch and you for involving yourself with your son, too many dont do that anymore no matter the sport or hobby. We're probably about the same latitude, im in west central illinois. Coons and yotes will be at their primest around Christmas. Our beaver arent "prime" until February in this area but few are caught that late except by die hard trappers. Under ice beaver trapping is hard work. If theres beaver is there 'rats? I wouldnt overlook any of those little dam busters and theyre worth more then any of the 3 critters your planning on pursuing.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 16:00 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks for the reply. That's what I love about this forum. A lot of beginner questions on here and no matter how simple or obvious it may seem to you veterans, you answer quickly and without being condescending.

As for the muskrat, that is a possibility, I haven't done any in depth scouting, just heard there was a lot of beaver sign where we are going. A muskrat is worth more than a coyote?

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 16:22 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Welcome Hoosier. Like Back said, for the most part fur will be nice and prime when you have Christmas break. Yotes can bring in good money, but they can take a lot of work to catch at times. Then they ain't my favorite things to skin after that. Rats, if I had any, would be a great target animal. They have been bringing in around 10 bucks apiece and aint too bad to catch. So if you have good numbers you can really rack up the catch numbers quickly with them. Also they are easy to skin, flesh and put up.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 16:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Welcome to the WAT family Hoosier! There is a lot of great knowledge here and every body is more than willing to help. All you have to do is ask. A young man in the woods stays out of trouble. Kudos to you for jumping in with your son! :wink: 8)

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 19:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Hoosier ive bought yotes before from eastern illinois. Im not sure how far from the border you are but most central an southern illinois yotes are poor quality and go to the trim trade. When the big heavy western plain totes are at $50 ours push $12ish. Most beaver ponds and habitat support muskrats very well. There seems to be a nationwide "shortage" of 'rats though with many theories why. Only problem with trapping muskrats is you gotta drownem or get'em in conibears. Standard footholds they can and will twist off and escape. Theres alot of 'rat info on here so i wont go into particulars. Im hearing S&D 'rats going for $5-$9 depending on area and quality. A nice pile of them would look nice in any fur shed. Easy to trap if you can find a population. When you catch some salvage some of the meat and glands. They are attractive to many other furbearers(and also muskrats are fine eating). Ground up they are a good dryland bait for land critters. And mink will travel a long ways for a 'rat meal.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 21:05 
Trapper
Trapper

That all makes perfect sense. I have never really thought of it like that (muskrats are easier and almost worth as much). And yes, I have read a ton about muskrats on here. Thanks again!

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 21:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks isnt necessary, your welcome. Hope some of my ramblings help.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 22:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Hoosier i forgotten to mention earlier but theres a good supply house south of Indy that has quality products and good prices. You may have found them already but its called Hoosier also. Im a big carman fan but ive used a lot of their products and its all been top notch and their customer service is as good if not better then the bigger supply houses.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 22:41 

Welcome to WAT Hoosier71! I wouldn't worry about the fur being prime over winter break. The rats are a good suggestion. Building a good road line and hitting a bunch of culverts can be a good way to put fur in the shed quickly.You can catch a variety of furbearers doing that.