Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 00:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2014, 23:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

There seems like a lot less pixs of trapping activity this year on WAT. Even if you don't want to keep your own thread, post pixs if you have them!!! There's got to be more out there :D ...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2014, 23:08 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Yes!! The more pics the better :lol:

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2014, 23:47 
Trapper
Trapper

Here's a little bait/trap thief I have not caught yet. He had basically eaten a whole squirrel I had caught in a trap above.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 00:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Haven't even set a trap yet. No pics to share lol.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 04:26 

I just set traps this past Saturday and Sunday and not all that many. I've been working 10 hours a day and just don't have the time I thought I would working local. Plus, after bitter cold temperatures last week that resulted in frozen creeks which made setting mink traps limited to cross-over logs and old den entrances. Now, the last two days have brought record warmth and less animal movement. The impending snowstorm tomorrow should get animals moving tonight.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 07:49 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

bctomc- I dig those little ermine! Even if they're bait thieves, I bet they're fun to watch! I'd love to try mounting a few s taxidermy projects. Thanks for sharing the pix :)

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 09:32 

PC, I have been so crazy busy, I don't even think about my camera. I know most of us are also just as busy, but I have had to drop any secondary activities to focus on family, home, work, and trapping. I have no dirt put up this year, so I have been scrounging all over for dry dirt. I will not pay money for dirt!! Even waxed!! Week before last, my truck's tranny pooped on me. I was able to limp 5 more miles to a junk yard and get a ride home from a buddy. I have been looking for the last 3 months, but not seriously, just getting a feel for the market. Then when I was ready to buy, strangely enough, there was a run on the style of truck I wanted and the availability disappeared. I got lucky and found this on the side of the road. If the owner had put it on craigslist, I would never have had a chance to get it.

The truck that died was an S10, rusted out box, almost everything inside the cab was broken; e brake handle, hood release handle, glove box handle, rearview mirror, cab light didnt work, door didnt close...both tranny seals leaked, oil leak, mismatched tires, on and on. It was ready for a proper burial. I got my money and then some out of that truck.

Of course the weather went from a beautiful October straight into January. Everybody has been enjoying that. As for the trapping this year, it has been good to me. There are many more animals around. Last year was dismal! There was very little sign. I feel much more organized, though I still am coming up short on some fundamental stuff. I am not quite as befuddled, I feel like I am more able to interpret what is happening at sets, what the likely scenarios are. I have really improved how I choose locations this year and found a fast, easy to make set that connects. I have a few videos, but have no idea how to link them up! Here's some shots from the shed.

Some fox and yotes, couple cats from last year that are already tagged, just waiting to be tanned. Plus a mink, badger, and a blue coon.

A grey I caught last week and some rats from the freezer, mostly caught by my neighbor. He loves water trapping but doesn't have the facilites to do put up, so I do it.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 09:42 

PC I'll see if the direct link works, hopefully I'll get this right on the first try.

This was a yote I got on the dairy farm. I saw this spot and knew it was going to produce. Unfortunately, right after I made this catch, the farmer dropped his hot wire to allow the cattle to get at the creek. I got frustrated having to remake the set everyday, only to have the cows trip it before nightfall.
http://vid918.photobucket.com/albums/ad ... 2k7gbf.mp4

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 11:43 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Al, your put ups are first class buddy. Them are some very nice pelts.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 12:19 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

todays haul.still checking another line. took a swim and had to come home for dry clothes!!

life member pta distric #1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
i have trapped in nebraska,michigan,new york,alaska and pa.
us air force retired.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 12:21 

I get a little better each season Amak, mainly due to all of you folks and your great posts!

CC, bet you carry a spare set of clothes tomorrow! I seem to take a dunking about every week or so.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 12:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I'm pretty well done water trapping now, so I'm heading after land critters now, so I have to actually be succesful to be able to share some pics :roll: I'm going out this afternoon to learn some about snaring coyotes, and gonna try setting some of my own on the weekend. I am really hoping to catch my first coyote this year.

I also almost caught a weasel, little bugger got around the pan on my rat trap

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 20:07 
Trapper
Trapper

Trap check today OK, but still rather disappointing with coyote caught in a trail snare killed and eaten by his pack buddies. But, managed get a couple other money critters; a lynx and a marten:

And then 10 marten/fisher box bait theives; 4 red squirrels, 3 weasel and 4 flying squirrel

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 21:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

bctomcat wrote:
Trap check today OK, but still rather disappointing with coyote caught in a trail snare killed and eaten by his pack buddies. But, managed get a couple other money critters; a lynx and a marten:

And then 10 marten/fisher box bait theives; 4 red squirrels, 3 weasel and 4 flying squirrel

I hate those flying squirrels they just won't keep out of my traps for red squirrels. Hopefully I knocked the population back last year, I think I caught 20 in a small area

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2014, 08:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice, now that's the ticket!! Enjoyed all the new views. bctomc- Do you have to "weed" through the squirrels and ermine around your martin boxes each year before its just mostly either martin or no catch? Or are they a problem all season long (at least you have fixings for squirrel stew a plenty!)?

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2014, 11:07 
Trapper
Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
Nice, now that's the ticket!! Enjoyed all the new views. bctomc- Do you have to "weed" through the squirrels and ermine around your martin boxes each year before its just mostly either martin or no catch? Or are they a problem all season long (at least you have fixings for squirrel stew a plenty!)?
Yes squirrels and weasels are a problem throughout the season but more so at the beginning. Some years much more than others and this year is starting out to be one of the worst. At least the red squirrel and ermine are worth a buck or two.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2014, 14:24 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Do you skin the flyers? I sometimes think the whole point of their existence is to plug marten sets.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2014, 15:40 
Trapper
Trapper

Woodswalker wrote:
Do you skin the flyers? I sometimes think the whole point of their existence is to plug marten sets.
NO; I use them as an attractor and lure holder within my lynx snare cubbies.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2014, 18:14 

Those are some great pics! Thanks for posting BC.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2014, 00:38 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Great pictures and storylines, thanks for posting them.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2014, 13:03 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I don't know how to post pictures from my phone or id share

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2014, 14:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

J.TMoody wrote:

Welcome to the WAT family Moody! If you don't mind tell us a little about yourself. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2014, 14:31 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Richard Murray wrote:
J.TMoody wrote:

Welcome to the WAT family Moody! If you don't mind tell us a little about yourself. :mrgreen:

It's my first year out. I got into trapping because I always enjoyed the stories my Uncle and cousin had. I guess it was more appealing to me than deer hunting. Required more effort, and thought than deer season. Not to mention that the season lasts longer. I'm not running a lot of traps right now, I don't want to give up quality sets and get into bad habits. That being said my catch number is probably quite low compared to many. But it's been fun so far. Not being established around my area make road right of way virtually impossible so I'm on private land and walking more than most would like. I came here to look around and maybe pick up some knowledge of dry ground sets. This year I'm concentrated on coons. I figure I would be better off learning one critter at a time.

Good philosophy IMO!

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2014, 14:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

J.TMoody wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:
J.TMoody wrote:

It's my first year out. I got into trapping because I always enjoyed the stories my Uncle and cousin had. I guess it was more appealing to me than deer hunting. Required more effort, and thought than deer season. Not to mention that the season lasts longer. I'm not running a lot of traps right now, I don't want to give up quality sets and get into bad habits. That being said my catch number is probably quite low compared to many. But it's been fun so far. Not being established around my area make road right of way virtually impossible so I'm on private land and walking more than most would like. I came here to look around and maybe pick up some knowledge of dry ground sets. This year I'm concentrated on coons. I figure I would be better off learning one critter at a time.

Sounds like to me you are on the right track Moody. Start a thread on asking about coon trapping and many will chime right in. There is some mighty fine coon trappers here on WAT that know how to hit the numbers. Your not alone when it comes to doing a lot of walkin on their lines. I am one of them.lol :wink:

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015, 19:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Any more critter pixs out there?? I'm kind of going through withdrawals here due to the weather...