Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 06:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: gloves
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 13:40 
Trapper
Trapper

I know this has been discussed before but I want to bring it up again to see what everyone thinks. I was told a long time ago to always wear rubber gloves when setting K-9 traps. Early in the season they are no big deal to just slip on and set. With this wet then cold weather we have had here the past few days I remade all of my sets this morning in 15 degree temps. The rubber gloves may as well been schedule 40 plastic in those temps. I kept them on anyhow but I know that by wearing them I spent atleast 1/2 hour longer remaking the sets. Do some of you more experienced K-9 guys think that a good pair of leather gloves are ok or should I just keep struggling with the rubber ones in cold temps?

Post subject: Re: gloves
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 15:53 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Personally I think the animals know there is human scent around the sets, with or without gloves being used. Unless a person is just nasty with their equipment a person should be able to get by with leather gloves or no gloves on such sets.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 16:05 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Personally I think gloves are important but not a nassecity. I think gloves are helpful to keep scent to minimum. However you don't have to have them to have success, I caught a fox made with bare hands. If I know I'm gonna make k9 sets I take gloves but if I'm coon trapping and see a good k9 set I just go with bare hands. I think it's just personal preference. Sorry for the rambling :shock:

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 18:21 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I find the coyotes know you are there and catch your scent, gloves or no gloves. I started out with the plastic gloves too.....then found out they still knew i was there. I finally just gave em up and like you experianced i went for what was easiest, warmest, and fastest. I've never seen a single difference since using bare hands and I never go without animals and will never go back to them cold rubber gloves setting. The one thing i do, is i use gloves to lure with. But that is just to keep lure off my hands so i dont get any on my next trap, only takes a second and right back off again.Ive used rubber, nitrile, jerseys, rag wool, and leather to do that with. I like my bare hands setting because its very easy to get the trap set with unbound hands. I cant tell you how many coyotes i catch the very first night doing so. I find it very difficult to believe the yotes know the difference in my scent all over the ground and around the set and what will be on my trap that is buried under 1/2" of dirt. I also think they know what fresh and aging scent is. If any person has close encounters with yotes and deer, you know that your hands are the least of your scent problem areas. Your head is the most scent producing part of your body....and it flows off it like water. Where is a persons head positioned while bedding a trap?

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 18:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

It simply does not matter one little bit as far as I am concerned. I consider myself a dirty trapper. I sit on my knees and sometimes my butt and still catch them the next day. Most of the time I lure and bait with my bare hands. Traps are dirty from catches and blood on my traps after a catch and still catch them. My gloves I wear in the yard doing what ever and keep them in the house, dash of my truck, working, ect. The one thing I do on remakes is I use fresh dirt for my trap beds. If my steel screen covers aren't damaged to bad I even reuse them. They know you have been there no matter what you do. I pee close to my sets, I spit and snort my nose. It does not matter. All it is to them is just another smell and that is all. I will never believe the hype of being a clean trapper matters. It doesn't. :wink:

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 19:17 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks guys, that does it. Those stinkin blue plastic gloves are gone

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 21:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

carpcatcher wrote:
I know this has been discussed before but I want to bring it up again to see what everyone thinks. I was told a long time ago to always wear rubber gloves when setting K-9 traps. Early in the season they are no big deal to just slip on and set. With this wet then cold weather we have had here the past few days I remade all of my sets this morning in 15 degree temps. The rubber gloves may as well been schedule 40 plastic in those temps. I kept them on anyhow but I know that by wearing them I spent atleast 1/2 hour longer remaking the sets. Do some of you more experienced K-9 guys think that a good pair of leather gloves are ok or should I just keep struggling with the rubber ones in cold temps?

I think Amak answered your question very well. Human scent will only last about 24 hours before dissipating. All my snares I set bare hand and have no issue from fox , lynx, fisher and wolf. The wolf is the key one and I still have no issues using bare hands.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 23:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

wolf1199 wrote:
carpcatcher wrote:

I think Amak answered your question very well. Human scent will only last about 24 hours before dissipating. All my snares I set bare hand and have no issue from fox , lynx, fisher and wolf. The wolf is the key one and I still have no issues using bare hands.

Dude, Just because you caught yourself in your own snare..................................tsk....tsk

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 08:21 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I still use rubber gloves, ive caught many canines with sets made barehanded too. Its like an extra insurance policy to me but would i not set a k9 set cause the gloves are in a box at home? No... Kinda like the old theory you may not believe in god but when the chips are down you pray anyway. Incidentally, when i was a kid there was an old couple that lived in the next town north. 60+ reds a year and they used leather gloves, boiled them and put them in the old milk cabinets with dirt and pine needles.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 19:40 
Trapper
Trapper

Backwoodsmansback wrote:
Incidentally, when i was a kid there was an old couple that lived in the next town north. 60+ reds a year and they used leather gloves, boiled them and put them in the old milk cabinets with dirt and pine needles.

I bet them gloves were nice and pliable after boiling and drying :shock:

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 20:12 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

carpcatcher wrote:
Backwoodsmansback wrote:
Incidentally, when i was a kid there was an old couple that lived in the next town north. 60+ reds a year and they used leather gloves, boiled them and put them in the old milk cabinets with dirt and pine needles.

I bet them gloves were nice and pliable after boiling and drying :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014, 07:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yep i cant imagine trying to manipulate traps n gear with'em. But they got results. In 78 or 79 some reds hit $150 each. They bought a new car that spring.