Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 20:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 07:59 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
I'd take that any day of the week :--) Much better than a grinner :wink:

In that last pix of your friend and his first coon, there's someone in the background that looks like he's holding a short barreled shotgun that just has a pistol grip. I'm I correct and what's up with that??

I think that's just the way he is holding the gun. All I see is the full stock. I'm assuming a .22 rifle. :wink:

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 08:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Congrtats on the fox and congrats to your friend on a fast first coon! For some reason that fox in a dp don't surprise me. I spent a lot of years watching fox come through town in the middle of the night hitting every trash can looking for food. That was when I live in Wellsville years ago. To me, a fox just don't care. :wink:

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 09:32 
Trapper
Trapper

Richard is correct, weird camera angle i guess as his girlfriends father was holding his Ruger 10/22. i called the fur buyer and he told me he would give me $15 each for the fox, is that good, bad, normal?

2014/15
2 red fox (2 in dp's )
19 coon
2 coyote (1 give by bowhunter, 1 road kill)
7 skunk (7 to many)
4 opossum

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 13:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

2bird wrote:
Richard is correct, weird camera angle i guess as his girlfriends father was holding his Ruger 10/22. i called the fur buyer and he told me he would give me $15 each for the fox, is that good, bad, normal?

Good for him and bad for you. $15 for a red, what a joke!!! That's a country buyer for ya, ripping off a workin man. :evil:

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 14:15 
Trapper
Trapper

hmm what do you think a green/carcuss red fox should go for?

2014/15
2 red fox (2 in dp's )
19 coon
7 skunk (7 to many)
4 opossum

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 17:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I've learned a bit the hard way that selling to a country buyer is selling wholesale. Typically they try to double their money to pay for costs and to cover items that they pay too much in the field then when it finally goes to auction. I think if you look at the 2014 NAFA auctions, reddies overall went for about $35 ish when combing the 3 auctions. So, if this guy is offering $15 that may not be too far of what the typical country buyer will offer this year. What are your plans for selling your other fur??

On the other hand, a fox is not overly hard to put up (not a lot of fat and fairly easy to skin, the hardest part maybe skinning out the ears). So, if you wanted to give it a whirl and see what your fox looks like on the board, my advice would be to go for it!! If you going to sell your other fur in the round (sounds like it), then shop around with other buyers.

P.S. What have you been doing with your coon??

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 21:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice catch, even catching fox in DPs counts. Not what you set for but surprises happen. Advice for you, skin and process your fox. You will be better off in the long run.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 09:31 
Trapper
Trapper

right now i just sell them either whole or green, i know i should flesh them and dry them but right now with 4 kids 10 and under and the wife working 50-60 hours a week i'm just lucky enough to even have time to trap at all. sold some last night and he gave me $8 for whole coon. when life isn't so crazy i fully plan to do the whole shabang...

well nothing but a massive skunk yesterday, that sprayed like a fire hose!!! did have another DP that was cleaned out to the bottom marshmallow but not fired, with fox prints all around the trap!!! and had another DP completely cleaned out, fired, and pulled out of the ground :/ .... haven't had a coon since Sunday, think i trapped them all up?

2014/15
2 red fox (2 in dp's )
19 coon
7 skunk (7 to many)
4 opossum

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014, 08:43 
Trapper
Trapper

well i picked up 4 more coon and another skunk yesterday, i was starting to think i trapped all the coon out of that spot, maybe they just started moving again after the cold, maybe it was just a new group of coon moving through. also had another fox eat the bait out of a dp (didnt get the marshmallow from under the trigger and set it off) knocked it over and took a dump next to it lol tonight i'm going to set a foothold.

sorry about the crappy picture

this 1 was getting a little greedy

still havent caught anything in a snare :/

2014/15
2 red fox (2 in dp's )
19 coon
7 skunk (7 to many)
4 opossum

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014, 10:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Your doing a great job 2bird! 8) Could not find the pics of my dirt hole sets, so I took a bunch yesterday while making a set. Will start a new thread tonight on the Charlie Robbins step down just for you. :wink: I see a red fox tail in the pic with the coon. Am I correct?

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014, 11:23 
Trapper
Trapper

Your the man Richard, thanks. yep it was a red, i was taking both of them to my buddy so he can mount them. so it's been raining a little bit here today, not a down pour but a decent little rain, should i still set a foothold?

2014/15
2 red fox (2 in dp's )
19 coon
7 skunk (7 to many)
4 opossum

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014, 17:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

2bird wrote:
so it's been raining a little bit here today, not a down pour but a decent little rain, should i still set a foothold?

I don't like setting in the rain. I usually wait till it is done. That way I can get my blending the way I want it. I don't carry dry dirt with me.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 08:14 
Trapper
Trapper

Well the soil is kind of sandy and it seemed pretty dry and the rain stopped so I put 1 in.

I also picked up 4 more coon and a skunk

Here is a pic of a double

2014/15
2 red fox (2 in dp's )
19 coon
7 skunk (7 to many)
4 opossum

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 08:59 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice catches congrats, you are doing well. Just a caution, when two coons get caught close together like that, one or both is going to be full of holes from them fighting. They really need to have a little distance between them

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 09:31 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

What cat man jr said is based on our errors in the past. Though there may be isolated instances where fighting damage dont take place in that paired situation, very often it does. Another instance where that happens is very narrow travel corridors. A coon gets in the trap, and others come along and travel being in close proximity of said trapped coon, fighting takes place and then pelt value falls. To avoid this in this case, drowning is preffered, but if no water is sufficient for it then i run a slide cable on dry land to zip them over and out of the way of any others that might pass by. Even if you have more traps for the still uncaught coons ahead, they will still inflict damage to the coon in the first set before going on to be caught. Since applying these methods our damage from fighting dropped to almost zero. Keep going at em 2birds you are having a great run.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 13:07 

You are really piling up the fur 2 Bird! The pictures are great. I look forward to your posts every day.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 15:01 
Trapper
Trapper

Hey thanks for the advice guys, I will spread them out a little tomorrow.

Only got 1 coon and the first opossum of the season lol

I had a fox come into my first hole, a print was about 1/2" to the left of my pan, he ate my bait (my fault because the whole was only like 5" deep) .

I'm glad you are enjoying the pics, this is my second season and I feel like I'm doing great, last year I only caught 9 coon, 6 skunks and maybe 4 opossum.

My first week of this season I have 2 red fox 18 coon 4 skunks and 1 opossum... Pretty pump...

2014/15
2 red fox (2 in dp's )
19 coon
7 skunk (7 to many)
4 opossum

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 21:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

You are doing great. Congrats!!

How much did that last one weigh (looks pretty little)? I wonder if you'll get an offer at all on the round from your country buyer. You may want to try this for fun, especially with your kids. Skin out your little coons and freeze the skins until you have more time. Flesh and tan them and the kids can make puppets or whatever out of them. Tanning (and breaking) them so they can at least move the leather around a bit doesn't a lot of efforts and the kids might find it a fun project to do with dad...

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2014, 09:11 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

You're doing great 2 bird! Congrats on the catches, especially that fox in the dp. :lol: That's pretty dang cool. The only question I have for you is: how did you run traps so long before you caught that first grinner?

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2014, 09:38 
Trapper
Trapper

that last 1 was small, i dont know the weight but i'm guessing around 10#, thats a good idea, we may do that and maybe make some hats :)

i dont know how i got so lucky catching all those coon first but now the skunks and opossums are coming in, this weekend i have caught the 1 small coon, 3 skunks and 2 more opossums!!! i think the coon are about done in my area's. i just had a guy at work tell me he has something taking chickens out of his coop and i know he has coons and coyotes so i'm going to pull my traps at my places now and relocate them over to his place. he also has a carcuss pile for deer that the coyotes have been hitting pretty hard, plan to set a bunch of snares around the pile...

2014/15
2 red fox (2 in dp's )
19 coon
7 skunk (7 to many)
4 opossum

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 10:13 
Trapper
Trapper

Alright guys, this is the last one for me this season (maybe lol), all my traps are pulled and need to focus on killing 8-10 deer (we dont eat beef)

last catch of the season we a nice 20# bore coon, in a snare! first snared animal.

it's been fun! Thanks for all the tips!!! i will still read and post but i think i'm just about done trapping for this season.

2014/15
2 red fox (2 in dp's )
19 coon
7 skunk (7 to many)
4 opossum

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 10:16 
Trapper
Trapper

Oh yeah i snare got him right behind the shoulders, i guess the loop was to big? had a couple more snares knocked down, is that what happens when they are to big?

2014/15
2 red fox (2 in dp's )
19 coon
7 skunk (7 to many)
4 opossum

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 11:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Are those Osage trees in that one pic with the green fruit or whatever they are on the ground?

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 12:21 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Woods are you a bowyer? Osage orange is the official name but around here we call'em hedge trees. Animals eat the " hedge apples ". We use to usem to scare rabbits outta brush piles or rollem down brushy hillsides to spook rabbits n deer up. When frozen they hurt like heck too lol. Sorry Bird for hijacking.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 14:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well 2bird, nice season if you call it rap. Looks like you had fun :--D It will interesting to see if you get docked in cash for the snared coon? Amak and CatManJr. will probably have comments on snares & coon. I don't want to put words into their mouths but I think they'll tell you that a guy really can't "neck catch" a coon with a snare but coons can work the cable and open the loop enough that its moves down the body. Snares leave a "burn" across the body that discounts the fur (generally).