Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 04:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2015, 17:33 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I just wished I lived closer to you to help skin them frozen coyotes. Just kidding.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2015, 19:19 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Sac Creek wrote:
I just wished I lived closer to you to help skin them frozen coyotes. Just kidding.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2015, 20:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sac Creek wrote:

What a tease J. :lol: :P I tried to get Amak to put up my freezer full of yotes so he wouldn't get rusty, but he turned me down. :shock: Don't understand why, they are his favorite critter. :roll: No brotherly love there. :lol: :P

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2015, 14:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I'm sort of trying to do the best looking ones first. I got the first one skinned out yesterday afternoon (thanks to the holiday) and it looks ok except two jumbo egg sized holes on one side of the chest (and a few little holes I put in :( ). I'll try stitching the big holes up (baseball stitch? other suggestions?) and get it dried (I bought a new adjustable wooden yote strecher last fall, might as well try it out). I'm sur eit will get docked but I guess how much is uncertain until its graded.

I think I might be able to get 3 out of the 6 presentable for auction. The others pieces and parts, home tan them, and sell on ebay. The first one had a nice big complete skull and teeth :mrgreen:

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2015, 22:36 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Amak wrote:
doc9013 wrote:
NonPCfed wrote:
Yep.

I've also seen landowners in West River South Dakota and central Texas impale them on fence posts and let them rot away (have pixs of the Texas example at work). Obviously their hatred of the animal is worth more than what the fur is worth if taken during the winter...

Happens here too PC, but I don't complain. I found a place several years ago where a guy dumped carcasses snared when the fur wasn't prime. I got a lot of jaws and made a lot of knives from them. 8)

....And I just so happen to be one of the fortunate and lucky owners of one of them! Still awesome too! :mrgreen:

Same here! What a conversation piece! :--D
NPC, I hope you are well rewarded for your efforts!

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2015, 18:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Our thaw is still holding this week. I picked up another coon in the same set in the hay barn; a big nut 17 lb. boar. Rushed going to work so couldn't find my camera even though it was in my book bag. Mr. Coon had made quite a hay donut by the time I arrived. Probably one of the lightest coloration that I've caught for a while. Seems some old boars around here have a more pronounced "yellowish" tings across the shoulders. Don't know if that's something that happens as they age or just an overall color morph?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 00:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I skinned out the 2nd yote tonight. A little bit easier to peel but still putting off a lot of cold. This one was not shot with a deer rifle load but looks like a smaller varmint round, only one pullet sized egg hole and I didn't add nearby as many secondary "R" cuts :) From the leather side, this critter looked great, minimal damage, no green belly, large size. Two different country buyers run routes that come within 5 miles of either side of the location where the yote pile was found. I'm sure if these numb nuts would have taken them in and sold on the round they would have at least got $5-10 (or more) a piece. I...just...don't...understand...why...not???

Maybe its a gift. Stinkbait is always struggling a bit for green and I can sharpen my skills taking these doggies apart and put up. All part of the grand adventure I guess...

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2015, 14:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thurs. morning at Thor's I saw a lot of fresh coon tracks in the light snow that had fallen Tuesday but nothing had worked my dps except the one in the machine shed was knocked off. Friday I got my big live trap back from Ry and set that up at Thor's in a trail area. Baited with with grape jelly, mini marshmellows, and anise. I also drizzled molasses from 2 other dps that are off of the road out to where I had seen coon tracks. But no action this morning except Tony got some small game with his Mossberg 12 gauge that he bought mostly with his own money on Black Friday (well, his aunt bought it and he paid her back). In the machine shed, the fish kebble bait was gone down to the trigger so I added some grape flavored gelatin powder and some mini mellows. We'll see what happens...

At the hay farm I was going to rebait the dp in the granary with mini mellows and the grape flavored powder because these one had been cleaned out twice of the kebble with weed stalks stuffed in the top trying to keep the mice out. So I thought that dp was empty of bait but there ended up being a mudball coon in it! Sucker had a good amount of mud pack inside the trap. Will have to wash this one good before putting it up.

Inside the hay barn, the front dp was fired off and laying down and the hay around it was flattened down. I wonder if I had a single toe catch and the cooner pulled out. Good thing because that stake was loose and probably wouldn't have held. I repositioned that one around the back of the hay pile on the advice of the farmer and got the stake driven down deeper into the dirt/aggregate flooring that's in there.

Hope tomorrow to pull one from each place like last Sunday. Fur still looks good :)

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 10:57 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

A grinner at Thor's this morning. At least it was of decent size (a boar) and color. Township roads and driveways are getting soft to dive on. Winter thaw is supposed to end on by the end of this week.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 11:11 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Checked out your thread and it looks like you're really stacking up the coons this year! Good going! Nice grinner-wait, is there such a thing? :mrgreen:

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 13:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yeah, supposedly there are nice grinners. But, wait, do you even have them up where you trap or are you still south of the "grinner line"?? It cuts through So Dak and MN (and presumably WI what I haven't heard anyone on WAT from over there catching any. But they must. So. WI is further south than I am...).

P.S. I just checked and in the May 2013 auction, I sold 2 grinners for $5.75 a piece. I'll take that for the effort involved. I also sold one for a dime that auction so they do take less rough handling than the thicker coon skin (that one must have been a "blackie" as well).

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 21:29 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

NPC, that looks like a HAWG grinner. Them's the one's I like to catch. I had 2 years where I sent up at least 1 like that and both years got $10 and a top lot. :lol: Last year I sent up 6 like that and not a dang 1 sold. :evil:

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2015, 23:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The coon vexed me last night at the hay farm. No action there since Sat. and then 2 out of the 3 dps in action but no scores. The one in the granary that I had mini mellows and grape flavored jello powder in it with a golf ball on top to keep out the mice, had the golf ball off and the bait cleaned out but no movement of the trap. I re-baited with some fish kebble just enough to cover the trigger. Abouy a 100 yards away in the back side of the hay barn, the coon must have gotten a single toe caught and was able to pull out. Wrapped some of the baling plastic around the stake. Re-baited with kebble and grape gelatin powder. No action of any kind at Thor's place.

On the way to Thor's a saw a still "decent" road killed coon but was running really late to work so I called Stinkbait who I knew was still home. Told him where it was. He got that one and then on the way to his current work site, he picked up 2 more (all within 10 miles). Someone called him in the afternoon about another one and he grabbed that one on the way home. He just about got another himself tonight but was a split second too late. Fur still looks good to me with no rubs although the one has a black patch when brushed a certain way. A couple just clipped, a couple others will be joys to skin but not a bad day picking up the pieces...

P.S. 11-17 pounds

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2015, 11:36 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Looks like those will work and a guy don't have to run many traps that way huh ha ha nicely done

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2015, 17:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Hey those are some dang nice looking free coons! Gotta love the roadkill, especially when you get to the stomach and the contents ending up on your floor :mrgreen:

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2015, 22:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

One if not two will probably do that :--o

I picked up a coon at Thor's today. I had boxed in the dp with various junk I had found in the machine shed including a square hollow steel piece. Goof ball decided either before I got there or when I came walking up to go into it. Considering that it was pretty good steel and my shot from the low kneeling position wasn't optimal, I found a couple empty seed bags or whatever, put them down on the dirt and then laid on my side to between the eyes cooner (well forehead). Probably funny to watch old gray beard getting down on the floor. My kids would have had a good laugh.

This one might have gone springy on me. No rubs but very little black guard hair on it. I think its going to go the wallhanger route hopefully to someone who just wants a coon skin for decoration. Probably struggling to go 2XL as well. After this past Tuesday the more size the better.

Over at the hay farm, the back dp in the hay barn was sprung for a second day in a row. I left it the way it was and will try something else next. I'd love to back my coon cubbies up into the holes between the bales that the coon come out of but I'm worried about the farmer's cat (he only has one and those 160s are birdkiller widow makers). So I think I'll bring over the big live trap from Thor's and have it there and pull the dp. Now its personal :twisted:

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2015, 22:35 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Hehehe, I'd prefer the 160 :twisted:
Muuuuhahahahahaha!

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2015, 21:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I still have 2 farmsteads set with some dps. Cold beginning of last week and then warmed above freezing on Friday. I took my 8th grader and his friend out to check them Sunday morning. Nothing happening at the hay farm and nothing happening except in Thor's machine shed, a coon must have broke off the corn cob I had gently placed in top of the trap to keep grinners out. The piece inside had turned side ways and cooner couldn't pick it out. Fixed that problem and then on my 2 outside dps that are 20-30 feet off of the farm road, I drizzled molasses from the set out onto the road a ways over the top of the snow.

Maybe it worked because I ended up with a double at Thor's today. A feisty boar under what's left of an out building that went down swinging and a smaller one in the machine shed. Because part of my work at Thor's is population control to keep as much cat food from coons as possible and keep the cats from getting beat up too often, everything takes a dirt nap.

The color was again funky on the boar as it was on the other one about a week or so ago. Even though he'll stretch nice I think he'll go towards the wall hanging route. Probably same as the little guy. Decent color yet I think but not a lot of length.

My lust for coon fur is on the wane so I think I'll pull the farms this weekend. Still would like to settle at least one score at the hay farm. Have a couple of cubbies to take down as well. Still time to shoot some bunnies and squirrels before the end of the month.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2015, 22:40 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

:shock: Dang NonPC, did that coon tear the foundation from under that shed? Y'all got some big coons!

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 04:37 

It's amazing how many coon can move into an abandoned building.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 08:05 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Those red tinted boars, although not 2-3 colors, may not be the dreaded 5 color either.minbet they go 4. I would send them in as the larger 4 were moving IMO.

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 12:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Cool, thanks for the heads up!! I thought it might be some sort of color condition because the even-ness of having very few black guard hairs on the back. If he had gone springy, I would suspect to see more patchyness to the pattern in the fur.

Don't know if its similar but every once an while someone shoots a pheasant that has a typical ring-neck rooster head and then the body colors are like a hen but the spotting pattern in different. I've mounted a few of them. I'll hvae to see if I can dig up a photo to show you what I mean.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 21:52 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

I've caught a few of those "red" coons, a couple of them barely had rings on their tails. :lol: I sent em anyway, although it's been a few years since I caught one like that. No idea what they graded out at now.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 07:18 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Our "red" coons are called "marsh" coons down here and have never brought more that a cull.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 08:11 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I agree.....the smaller of the 2 in the pic is more valuable then the larger. This year at auction, the larger one will put a little more dirt in your pocket....but im not so sure about coins. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next