Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 11:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2014, 08:59 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks for sharing LHB. I liked the pics! 8)

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2014, 09:16 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Nice catches!

Did you pass gas upwind from her when you snapped that shot? seems like she might be thinking "phew".... :lol:
Looks like you got a little cutie for a trapping pard! I dont know if she will continue putting up with your gassy habits though!!!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like Al, my first inclination is older track on the ice that has gotten covered and changed/melted over time. Other then that, not like any bubble trail I have seen.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2014, 18:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nah she was sticking her tongue out at me cuz I wanted to take a pic lol

Ok could be a cat then, I think one hangs around this pond, but I only traps muskrats there.

I had a really cool experience tonight, I went out to check my traps, and when I came to one of my cubbies, I seen a bit of white directly in front of my bucket, and thought Cool I caught a weasel in it. Nope! Seen the little bugger run off with my bait in his mouth (a flying squirrel) I can't wait to catch him now! Decent size too!

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2014, 19:13 

I'm glad to see your line still producing LHB. Your helper seems to be enjoying it too....

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 15:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well, I finally have a reason to update this thread! :shock:
I picked up this little fella! I don't think hes the one thats been stealing my bait either, so hopefully I'll pick up another before the season ends.

I've been putting off skinning the rest of my rats and finishing my coons, so I dug a bunch of stuff out, and I'm counting on school being cancelled tomorrow so I can do them!
I still have one more coon in the freezer to finish, I only have to boards. And, I can only stretch three rats at a time since I only have three stretchers, so I'm going to skin them and freeze them until my stretchers are empty again. Would 12 hours be enough to thaw a muskrat skin out?

We redid one of the rooms in Dads shop, and I got myself a little trapping corner!
And heres the beaver I caught this year, and hes almost done drying. Hoping for a nice $10 bill for this one :roll:

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 20:18 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

$10 is better then a poke in the eye isnt it? Lol! Beaver will work you and test you. LOADS of fun!

I dont know on 12 hours. That depends on a lot of conditional things. Id think for the most part they should thaw.

Thanks for the update! :D

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 17:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well the furs are gone! Sent a total of 43 furs in to sell! Hoping to average $10 on beavers coons rats and mink and weasels and squirrels I'll be happy if they sell. One of my coons was attacked by bugs, along with one weasel and 5 squirrels so I'll have some damaged furs in the mix.

I came some close to catching my first coyote tonight! He walked next to my snare I never thought one would push it's way underneath the stick I had laid across the opening. I'm gonna take my last two snares up in daylight tomorrow and pput them on some other spots

And... one more ********** flying squirrel

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2015, 01:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

LHB 'rat stretchers arent hard to make. Ive even used willow before. Either bend the willow into the shape you want or cut 2 sticks about 1/2"-3/8" thick. Tie them together on one end and after stretching the rat on them you can tie a cross piece at the bottom and if you leave about 4" of tge rats tail on each side just tie him off on that. We made some out of the wire that political signs are mounted in yards here too. Dunno if thats an option up there but id bet theres heavier wire somewhere free or nearly free for the taking.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2015, 05:12 

Great job on the fur put up LHB!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2015, 07:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Backwoodsmansback wrote:
LHB 'rat stretchers arent hard to make. Ive even used willow before. Either bend the willow into the shape you want or cut 2 sticks about 1/2"-3/8" thick. Tie them together on one end and after stretching the rat on them you can tie a cross piece at the bottom and if you leave about 4" of tge rats tail on each side just tie him off on that. We made some out of the wire that political signs are mounted in yards here too. Dunno if thats an option up there but id bet theres heavier wire somewhere free or nearly free for the taking.

I never thought of making them myself. I'll have to make some over the summer shouldn't be too hard to find some wire that would work.

Thanks TRick

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2015, 20:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Great job LHB!!!!! 8) Wish you the best on the sale, hope you do great! :wink: