Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 05:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IT'S ON BABY!!!
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2014, 20:08 

Earlier in the week I got a message from the dairy farmer we coyote trapped for last season. His message was "get your lazy butts off the couch and come trap these coyotes!" So today we put in 5 sets after work. We have had scattered showers all day so I didnt want to set every location and end up having to redo 10 flooded traps. Saturday is supposed to be nice. I figured I'll get the rest out then and set a neighbors place also. The main deal is the steel is in the ground boys!!!!

Post subject: Re: IT'S ON BABY!!!
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2014, 22:28 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Haha! All you Northern guys are so lucky about now. I have to feel sorry for swamprat having to choose December to take fur. (Wisely, i might add for SE Texas). Hope you guys pound em good Al, i'm excited for ya!

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014, 07:15 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

As AMAK stated, you guys to the north and far north have quite an advantage on us down here on beginning your trapping seasons! Best of luck TrapperAL, I hope you get a load of yote hides on the boards. Meanwhile it is back to mowing my lawn down here.... :cry:

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014, 07:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Best of luck Al, looking forward to some pics. Is your season open for yotes or is this just a nuisance call.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014, 09:09 

Thanks guys :)
Wolf, there is no season on yotes. They are considered invasive and they can be taken by several methods at any time of the year. This is also a nuisance call as the farmer's wife had to chase coyotes away from their sheep.
Just to add to this...I'm not getting paid, just getting access to one of the biggest farming operations in the area :D

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014, 18:44 

Good Luck Al. That's funny about coyote seasons, we have a trapping season for them but you can hunt them year round in PA.... :? :?

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014, 20:11 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Right on Al, I hope the weather holds and you get a good start.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014, 20:30 

Pipe, we got rain dumped on us all day, hoping my pan covers arent showing....

Rick its interesting how different states have different interpretations. In MN they are considered an "unprotected animal."

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 13:35 

Number one for the season.....1 out of 5 sets....20%....not bad! Guess my pan covers weren't showing after all.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 16:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That's great Al, your off to a good start. How many yotes you think you got hanging around?

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 16:35 

Awesome job Al!

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 18:37 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

YeeHaw! Noting like contact on the first night! I hope you get them all. Keep us posted.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 18:48 

Thanks Rick :)

Wolf, I think that we are on a major dispersal route. There is an old railroad grade that intersects a new railroad grade with power lines to boot! I know they follow the power line swath because I saw a coyote where the line crosses a major highway 25 miles away some years ago.

All the surrounding neighbors have farms. That set is in a spot where two points of timber come together. We caught two here last year. It's a quarter to half mile from the old RR grade. The other end of the property (East side), the farm hand has seen a yote everyday for the last few days. There is a creek running through this part of the property. I wanted to set that end this weekend, but it has been raining all day and now it's snowing!! ARG! :x This is the end where the sheep are, and the farmer's wife had to chase yotes away from her sheep recently.

His neighbor to the North has those Scottish Highland cows and wants the yotes gone, plus he is having beaver problems. Word of mouth!

I wanted to mention that I have been using a trench set for all my sets here, and I am interested to see how they held up in today's rain. I really figured they were iffy after yesterday, but apparently not. I make these sets with a spade, the kind that is long and narrow. I just shovel at a shallow angle, making an 18 inch trench and flipping the sod straight back. That creates instant backing! Then I bed the trap around 10 inches from the deep end to the pan. At that deep end I pound out a deep dirt hole with a punch. I punch em at least 8 inches. And I make sure the punch is angled over the pan when I pound out the hole. All I grabbed for bait/lure was some bait from winter made from skunk flesh, partially rendered and fox pee. At first I wasn't sure if it was smart to use skunk meat, but there are loads of dead skunks on the roads right now, as they also are dispersing. So maybe that was exactly the right bait? Guess we'll see if any other sets connect. I'll try to get a pic tutorial on it on here....it's a really easy set to make and fast to put in. I have to give the credit for showing me that set and how to construct it to Spike. It has really served me well.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 19:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

What did you do with the doggie?? If you didn't skinned it out (which I suspect is right) and the skull isn't too buggered up, I'd cut the head off and end up with skull sometime. A nice whitened yote skull goes up to $15+ on ebay or so I've seen with completed auctions (actually haven't sold any myself).

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 19:57 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

TrapperAL wrote:
Guess my pan covers weren't showing after all

.......or it just didnt matter. I catch around 20 yotes a year with full exposed pans. In either case, a job well done!

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 20:42 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Al, if you are having standing water along their travel routes and there is an old road or tractor track with water in one or both ruts, fence off the road down to one rut and make a blind trail set just below the water level in the rut and you should catch a coyote or two. They do not mind traveling through water on their travels. The stepping sticks will be your key.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2014, 05:13 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp Rat wrote:
Al, if you are having standing water along their travel routes and there is an old road or tractor track with water in one or both ruts, fence off the road down to one rut and make a blind trail set just below the water level in the rut and you should catch a coyote or two. They do not mind traveling through water on their travels. The stepping sticks will be your key.

Now there is some experience showing through...... we all appreciate that tip swamp.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2014, 18:03 

Swamp Rat wrote:

Good one Swamp :) Would it be smart to use a drag to keep it from ruining the set and getting all muddy?

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2014, 18:07 

Amak wrote:
TrapperAL wrote:
Guess my pan covers weren't showing after all

.......or it just didnt matter. I catch around 20 yotes a year with full exposed pans. In either case, a job well done!

So much of the mystery of it all has faded...20?!....and you aren't necessarily targeting yotes, correct?

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2014, 18:27 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

TrapperAL wrote:
Swamp Rat wrote:

Good one Swamp :) Would it be smart to use a drag to keep it from ruining the set and getting all muddy?

I like drags, they work well for me. But I sometimes do have to spend a little time locating the catches.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2014, 20:10 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamprat- "I sometimes do have to spend a little time locating....."

.....which is another exciting aspect many miss. I long for the days of drag usage.....I love them. I always figured the time it cost in finding them, is off set by the time it saves on re making the set. There are so many advantages to using drags.. Plus the whole excitement and climax of locating them. Most of the time they aren't far. Talent in tracking them come into play often times too making it a well rounded experience

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2014, 09:42 

Yeah...I think the open pastures would make it a bit of a chore on a tight time line. I might learn to track better. Sure would be nice to just re-bed the trap and move on. I guess I won't know until I try it. I'll keep you posted on my progress!

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2014, 17:51 

Until today, we have caught nothing but 2 skunks the past week, plus missed another skunk that sprung a trap. Yesterday I spent some time at this farm shuffling sets around. Today we got this coyote from one of our skunk remakes. The location is between to points of wood, but on the other side of the point from the previous yote (upper left of pic). I picked this spot because of the left over hay pile.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2014, 18:20 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

There you go Al your drought is over and that's #2. Better things to come now. Since Swamp took in that skunk skinning thing probably best to just post them to him for clean up. I'm sure he would like to give it a whirl :P

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2014, 19:38 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

It's amazing to me at how many times ive connected with a coyote after first connecting with a skunk......think there is a correlation there? It's always good to get another one huh? Great job Al. :D