Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 08:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2014, 13:28 

This would give the antis a seat at the wildlife management table, much like charging the non hunting public to use the gamelands, this is a very very bad idea!! please leave a comment!!! Non Comsuptive wolf stamp!

http://fwp.mt.gov/news/publicNotices/ar ... _0177.html

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2014, 20:09 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Typical drivel from them.

The trappers associations weak attempt at getting a constitutional amendment to protect our trapping failed because one guy didn't want to "Hurt the feelings" of another guy. I am not joking.
Groan..............

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2014, 07:37 

Every trapper needs to involve kids (I think trappers do a good job at that, in general). It's tough to overcome that first impression, whether it is out on the line seeing what actually happens or seeing some photoshopped picture on a peta pamphlet.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2014, 23:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Woodswalker and others may not like this but the seeds to traditional Montana's demise is rooted in dollar signs flashing in people's eyes.

MT has world-class beauty in its western mountains and valleys as just as SD residents found out about its world-class pheasant hunting, there are people outside of the state that will buy it up and if their world views are different than yours, get enough of them and their world views will be the majority (just like it happened in Colorado). In SD, I can still pheasant hunt but access to the best land is denied unless I have a pocket full of Uncle Ben's to grease the landowner's palm. In CO, as I understand it, live cage trapping is about the only thing a guy can legally do but I suspect outside of the immediate Front Range urban areas people are probably ignoring that law the best they can.

I've never had anyone wave a 6 or 7 figure check in front of me to buy typically a small parcel of land for an acre, two, five, ten, maybe sometimes a bit more and I don't know if I could resist it either. But when a MT landowner sells a parcel to a lib from the Bay Area, or LA, or NYC or wherever and that lib decides to claim MT as their resident state, well then things will change when you get enough of them living there. Its a scale change that hard to work around, individual gain (can't blame a person) vs. cumulative societal change. Its hard to hold the line when others won't.

There was a supposed "joke" going around MT in the mid-to-late 1980s when the Californicators were flocking to the state to at least buy a second vacation home (I read it in a book called Montana Ghost Dance). It goes like this:

A rancher walks into the local bar and sees a fellow native Montana land owner looking depressed.

"What's wrong John?" the the friend asks.

"*$&&*$$##*** Californians!" the depressed rancher states.

"What did that SOB do?" asks the friend.

"They met my price!!" says the depressed rancher who finishes his drink and orders another one...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2014, 13:20 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That is true enough.
When the state figured out they could make money off of hunting tags management went out the door. I cannot hunt where I used to anymore
because they slaughtered most of the game and now there is only five elk tags.

I live in the Bitterroot Valley, you described it very accurately. Just do a youtube search for it. Bunch of rich jerks bought the land, build a big house on it and paint a bright orange
barrier around it and usually well onto any public land nearby.

Its mostly the Western half that has been ruined, as it is more "Scenic". The Eastern half hasn't been messed up so badly. But you cant get permission to hunt like you used to.