Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 23:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beaver under ice???
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 00:17 
Trapper
Trapper

Have a few beaver areas to try at this winter. One thing I have never figured out, is when trapping in the runs, at what depth do the beavers swim beneath the ice? When setting a 280 or 330 in other words, do you set it just beneath the ice, or close to the bottom? Or do you build a ladder to force them through the trap???

Thanks so much...

Post subject: Re: Beaver under ice???
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 00:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Depends on the situation. If you have actual runs coming from a den or lodge the beaver will be on the bottom. When they come out of the den they dive and shoot out of there with little regard. But once they are out of the den for a ways they will travel close to the ice and when they need air they will go up and suck down an air bubble along their path. That's why under ice beaver show bubble trails. They use them to stay under the water.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 00:37 
Trapper
Trapper

I have chased muskrats swimming beneath the ice in their runs when the ice is young and clear with no snow. They swim RIGHT under the ice it seems. I guess beaver are the same, once out from the lodge. The areas I plan to trap are in runs some distance from the lodges, so I guess it is what I thought, just below the ice.... I always thought the bubble trails were from the critters exhaling slowly as they swim. Are you saying they suck in an air bubble like scrat does in the ice age movies??? :P Or are ye pulling my leg? Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 00:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yeah its just like when scrat does that. Beaver, rats, otters, they all do it, that's the main reason they can go as long under the ice as they can. You are right, those bubbles are where they exhale, or where air comes out of their fur and gathers into bigger bubbles. But they will use them if they are running low on air.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 09:42 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Zoologist supposedly confirmed the breathing method CMJ is describing. There is even an added twist to that. In going long distances, they can come up under the Ice very close to it with their nose. They will then slowly exhale which forms a bubble. According to them, enough fresh oxygen from the ice and water enters the bubble that the animal then sucks it back in and can swim on farther. If nessessary they can keep repeating that to cover long distances under ice. They also said it was a last resort though, and small cavities between ice and water, or other natural trapped bubbles made for most of the source of oxygen if it was needed. It was said that though the breathing method didn't provide the animals with a full lung of fresh oxygen, for those animals it was enough to sustain them for a bit and they can do it over and over until they do find a good supply to fill lungs with. Of course if the animals were staying close to den or lodge, the practice isn't needed as they'll just go back to it. Muskrat and beaver do it as well as otter and mink, when they need to go longer distances under ice, which is more common for mink and otter.

Take it for what it's worth, because I have read things biologist have said that I didn't agree with before. I will say that I am inclined to believe it from the things I have seen as well as other documentations I have read.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 14:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Learn something new everyday! I always thought the bubbles were from their fur and slowly exhaling. I like 330's for under ice. Im learning undar ice snaring and prefer it to coins now. If you gotta use conis dead brush tied to the stabilizer stakes and places under the 330 helps i think. If its too deep the runs sets hit n miss at best and i switch to baited sets. Just an IMO.