Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 02:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It didn't hold
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 07:48 
Trapper
Trapper

Well after having good luck last year with the new Btidger 1.75's I got some more for this season. I don't think I had any yote's step in one last year but they held everything else including two bob kitties. Well this morning on my first check of the new season it happened. My last knine set there it was, a trap in peices. There was a small amount of blood and some yote tracks in the loose dirt with very little catch circle. Guess MB's are on my list of gotta haves.

Post subject: Re: It didn't hold
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 08:30 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Was there any hair in the trap jaws? I've had yotes come along and steal coons and rabbits out of my sets before, just wondering if that's what happened this time. With a small catch circle I would think that it was a critter in the trap that couldn't tote the trap around very well.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 08:41 
Trapper
Trapper

To be completely honest I'm not exactly sure just yet. It was still dark and I didn't waste much time before work but I know the trap is all bent up so I figured that if it was something in the trap that was attacked and eaten by a yote the trap wouldn't have been bent. I am going to go reset it later today so we will see.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2013, 07:21 
Trapper
Trapper

Well I went and switched the trap out and took it to a very reliable trapper with many years of trapping under his belt. He informed me that it was definatly a big nasty yote. He feels that it was just one of those unfortuniate things and those traps will hold almost every one that gets pinched. As for the trap, he crunched down at an angle on one of the leavers and bent the crap out of it which gave the jaw a little wiggle room and it must have bent that just enough to let it pop out. At this point I will most likely just use them as is but till next year I will add a bubble weld on the jaw tips. Jase, maybe if you could tell me how Russ bends the tips, I could do that for the remainder of this year.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2013, 11:12 

I recently had a coyote that bent the dog and frame of a similar trap (vic 1.75 or duke 2, dont recall which). I had to do some tweaking to get it to set, but I got it back in the ground. Unfortunately, this will happen from time to time and is the price of doing business. You either buy cheaper traps and fix or modify them, or you buy higher end traps and pay up front. Having done both, I prefer to save my time for other trap prep and buy the better traps. Fewer traps set out in better locations vs. loads of traps set in marginal locations, will catch more fur anyway, IMO.

I think I bent my jaw ends up by putting them in a vise and just bending them that way. Either that or I used vise grips. Both will get the job done. Bubble tipping the jaws is a good idea as well.

Wait till you get some wolves down your way, you'll really like what they do to traps!!!

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2013, 14:09 
Trapper
Trapper

Al, Trust me I fully understand the higher end price traps. It was all I could do to not get the MB's this summer but every time I would go to bite the bullet I would think of something else I needed. For the most part I don't cross paths with yote's so thats why I went Bridger. As for the Wolves, it will probable be awhile before they make it into Pa. so I have some time to save up :D