Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 16 Oct 2017, 23:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fleshing
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 08:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

so I was wondering which animals do you leave the saddles on and which ones do you take them off of?

Check out my you tube page!!! alot of the stuff i learned on here i have made video's of them ..... http://www.youtube.com/user/ski31989?feature=mhee

Post subject: Re: fleshing
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 09:09 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

A horse saddle is good on :P At one time mink saddle was to be left on but that is now a thing of the past. You can leave it on or remove the option is left up to the trapper. Both ways are excepted at the auction houses. But if you are going to leave the saddle on you must remove the fat under the saddle or your leather will burn decreasing your pelt value. For myself I leave no saddle on mink or anything else with the exception of the odd rat.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 09:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Rats and cats are about all we leave the saddle on. Like Wolf said, NAFA at least doesn't require the saddle to be left on mink, but if you do leave it, on make sure to get all fat and such from under it. Rats and cats you leave it on to add to the weight and leather thickness, as neither of these two animals has much if any fat under the saddle. If you see some fat, go ahead and get it, but you shouldn't be taking much of the saddle off of them. Just about everything else I can think of has enough fat under the saddle you have to take it all off.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 16:05 

Mink can have the saddle left on or off. In Hal Sullivan's Fur Handling 2000, he says the saddles should be left on but the NAFA Fur Handling DVD states that either way off or on is acceptable.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 20:21 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

TR when you get $165.00 for a mink with no saddle that should tell you something. It's hard to break tradition but the times are a changing and so goes the saddle theory. Interesting point what CMJ said about leaving the saddle on cats for extra weight which would be an ounce or two and maybe more if you left some meat and fat on the leather. Were you gain the weight and i'm not being critical CMJ is on the front legs when tucked in. Even though they cannot see the front legs make sure they are skinned right down to the pads. Before I just used to cut off at the elbow, now go the full length which increase weight. There are many tricks to the trade, one just has to figure out which to use where. Use the full length of the front feet and this will add more weight then a saddle would ever do. I have been there and done that and learned. Time is a good teacher.

here is a pick of some of my mink with no saddle. Keep your fur neat and clean and you will do good.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 21:06 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Ditto on the long front legs being left on the cat hides Wolf.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 21:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Just learned a few things. Thanks guys!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 22:22 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I said weight because it does add weight but more than anything cat saddles should be left on for appearance of a thicker heavier hide. You are right Wolf the front legs will add more actual weight.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2013, 03:15 

Well, I sent 2 mink in to NAFA, one had the saddle, one didn't. One I got the top lot award for, one didn't. Hmmmmmm, I wish I knew exactly which one exactly which one but I have a good idea which one it was. :wink: Thanks for the info Wolf! I think I'll be cleaning the mink this fall.