Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 10:07

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2013, 21:29 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

So we farm and feed cattle do you guys know what distilers grains are from the ethanol plants? My next question is that we usually have quite a few many loads on hand at the bunker and the wet distilers has a very distinct sweet smell and we get all kinds of animals digging and eating the stuff so my question I think I could catch coons on it cause you can catch coons on anything but what would you mix it with to make it better?

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2013, 21:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I believe ethanol is made mostly from corn. Honey should make a good mix. I know when I worked on the farm with my dad we cut corn for sileage (not sure on that spelling) to fill the silo's and bunkers. After aging it has a very sweet and pleasant smell. I'm sure Jase or Russ will chime in soon. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2013, 08:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yep, it is a mix of corn at a certain stage in the seeds germination and the natural sugars that separate from the corn, plus some other stuff like bacteria. I think this is what you were asking for? Fun stuff for the micro lab lol. Okay, better stop before I nerd out too much. If you wanted to add something to help with a little more attractiveness, castor would probably be a good one to add, I would think it would go well with a sweet smelling bait. I don't know how the combination would come out smelling (competing smells wise) but adding a fishoil/shellfish oil mix might work, but it might overpower the smell of the corn. It would be something to play around with. You can also look at ambrette or tonquin musk oils (kind of a perfume type smell). You could also look into adding your more "natural" oils such as honey essence, loganberry, persimmon oil (which in the bait book we have by Nick Wyshinski, he says persimmon is a fantastic coon and grey fox attractant), etc. There is a lot of things you could do with it really.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2013, 09:10 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

cat-man-jr wrote:
persimmon oil (which in the bait book we have by Nick Wyshinski, he says persimmon is a fantastic coon and grey fox attractant),.

Is this the same persimmon as the tree that grows berries/nuts? Our deer in Georgia seem to really like persimmons

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2013, 09:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yes it is Lox. And I love to eat them as well. :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2013, 19:01 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

thanks guys I like the ideas, ill have to play around with your ideas and see what works im specifically intrigued by the phenyl acetic acid oil excited to try it ...Not trying to reinvent the wheel here but quite a few cattle are fed in our area and distillers is on just but every farm and every one has problems with coons, skunks, birds and deer eating the stuff and it has a strong good smelling odor so I was curious if anyone has tried it... I donno why it wouldn't work but we will see if its worth putting in the arsenal...when you pick it up at the plant it is wet and still hot and is sort of like a mash like I mean I can make it into balls and it will hold together...

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2013, 17:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Fish- Like you need help catching coon (hahahahahaha!!!). I like all the guys' ideas and you could experiment with different mixtures (probably beats buying cat food and additional fish oil like me). Is there still the honey business over by Howard (or some where esle close by)?? If you could find a decent source of cheaper honey, that might be a way to go. So much for all the tree huggers saying that ethanol is a zero sum game (only for hooch and no by-products). The last data I saw was about 13% of the corn used to make hooch was returned in some form as a feed by-product (so when you hear 35-40% of the US corn crop is used for ethanol, put back in that 13 or so percent as feed by-product).

I know some guys on here don't like large scale corn ethanol production but its a fact of life in the Midwest and here to stay (at least until something better comes along). Too many farmers around here remember <$2 corn and never want to back to that point...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2013, 20:02 
Trapper
Trapper

I know some guys on here don't like large scale corn ethanol production but its a fact of life in the Midwest and here to stay (at least until something better comes along). Too many farmers around here remember <$2 corn and never want to back to that point...[/quote]

Man I hope corn doesn't go back to anywhere near that price!!! Thre're will be no more planting corn for us.. Anhydrous, urea, and the chemicals we need to raise corn, are getting so expensive that on dry years like this it makes it hard to come out on top. All we can do now is pray that the bean crop will be good to keep us going.. lol Oh well, with these fur prices who needs another job? lol