Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 07:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 20:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Jim Bowie would be proud :) !! I think I would have at least looked around for a stout heavy stick to use like a bat (I once took out a kamazkie muskrat in mid air with a 2x2 inch, 3 foot long piece of maghony that I used to have but I don't think that is equal to the cainines of a yote that has nothing to lose...). Look forward to more trap camping tales!!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 21:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Now why would I carry a 25lb weight around until I find something to skin? Wannabe I am enjoying the trip so far.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 21:30 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Jeff Piersol wrote:
Now why would I carry a 25lb weight around until I find something to skin?

Why, :shock: in case you feel the uncontrollable urge to lift it. :roll:

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 01:09 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I enjoyed your post so much. It's always nice when your partner enjoys the same things you do. Post more more more !!! :mrgreen:

FREEDOM~LIBERTY

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 08:53 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Musselshellgal wrote:
I enjoyed your post so much. It's always nice when your partner enjoys the same things you do. Post more more more !!! :mrgreen:

That's what she said :--o :--D :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 19:48 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

12/31/12 Day 4
We headed out around 7 am this morning, and the first set we checked had a medium sized male coyote. He was caught in a fox set using a Duke 1.5 coil spring, whoda thunked it!?!

Who says a Duke 1.5 won't hold a yote

We didn’t have anything else until way on down the line, and Shannon had caught a rabbit.

She dispatched it and said she was going to skin it and cook it for dinner, and she did.

Here is Shannon's catch and dinner, fried rabbit, cream gravy, and baked potato.

The last cat trap we checked had a really nice grinner that we turned loose…LOL.

One of the sets had what looked like cat tracks right at the edge of the set and off to the wild blue yonder. None of the snares had anything.

The three coon traps had two coons, our first double on coons.

So to end the day we had 1 coyote, 1 rabbit, 1 opossum, and 2 coons. Not a bad day in our opinion.
Ranger wanted in on the action. :lol: He is such a cool dog!

It started raining around 2 pm so we took the time to get 3 of the coyotes and the 2 coons fleshed and on boards.

Working on one of the coyotes.

Here is the catch for the first four days ready for the stretchers.

Hopefully the rain will move out so we can get the sets repaired, catch some more fur, and do some deer hunting.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 20:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice catches guys. How are you staking the coyote traps? Just curious the soil looks very sandy.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 20:27 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Jeff Piersol wrote:
Nice catches guys. How are you staking the coyote traps? Just curious the soil looks very sandy.

1/2" x 24" rebar stakes. Some are single, some are bouble depending on soil.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 20:32 

Great pics. Loved the dog. :lol:

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 17:09 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

12/30/12 Day three
The alarm went off at 6 am and neither one of us moved; it was too cold to move!! It was 20 degrees outside and 26 in the tent. We snuggled until around 6:45 then decided to go for it; we got dressed and headed out. Our first set had tracks all around it and scratch marks where it looked like a gray fox had taken a **** and scratched out.
The next set held a nice female yote.

The next set had a track on the very edge of the pan and jaw but did not set it off. So dang close, but yet so far away. The next two sets had the bait taken out of the hole and one had the pan cover scratched off with tracks all over the place, but no fur. It’s kind of scary to have so many traps dug up all in the same night.

The next trap held Shannon’s first ever coyote. She had picked the spot, and made the set with no assistance from me. She caught her with the catch stick, and I released her foot and she pulled her to the other side of the road and dispatched her. This was also the first time she ever handled a live yote.

The rest of the traps were empty, but some had had some action. We went back to camp and made a fire and coffee and skinned our catch. Shannon skinned her coyote from start to finish. She was proud of herself for the accomplishment, however; she told me I could skin the coyotes from now on.

We went back that afternoon to remake the sets that had caught something, and fix up the ones that had been disturbed. We looked at all of them and found where two had been worked during the day, one the bait stolen and the other dug up, don’t think I have ever had traps worked in the daytime like that before. We have rain moving our way, not sure how that is going to affect us.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 17:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Congrats on the catches, hope things keep looking up. Like the read so far, keep it up :wink:

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 17:51 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Nice catches and good pics. Very good thread. Keep up the good work :)

Last edited by catrap on 08 Jan 2013, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 18:22 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Wannab, some folks are probably smiling that "we" consider the 20s as COLD...but they'd just have to experience it to know what you are saying! You two made some good hauls and some good nights of catches. Pretty neat that Shannon is making her own sets and doing her on skinning. How successful were you at getting the fur sides dry enough to board? Like the others, I am enjoying this narrative with photos very much. This may be all the trapping I do this season. Rain seems to be around here for awhile.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 18:53 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp Rat wrote:
Wannab, some folks are probably smiling that "we" consider the 20s as COLD...but they'd just have to experience it to know what you are saying! You two made some good hauls and some good nights of catches. Pretty neat that Shannon is making her own sets and doing her on skinning. How successful were you at getting the fur sides dry enough to board? Like the others, I am enjoying this narrative with photos very much. This may be all the trapping I do this season. Rain seems to be around here for awhile.

Swamp, I know what you are talking about, I have been in Colorado when it was 20 degrees in a T-shirt, you are not going to do that here!!!! The humidity just sinks the cold right in on ya. On the furs; I had to bring them in the house today to get them dry, they just would not dry outside. LOL, should have seen the look on Shannon’s face when she walked in the laundry room and coyote, fox and coon hides were everywhere. :--o So glad she likes to trap, or I would have been cut OFF!!!!!
Are you doing any trapping? I have not seen any post of your catches.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 19:24 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

wannab wrote:
Swamp Rat wrote:

Swamp, I know what you are talking about, I have been in Colorado when it was 20 degrees in a T-shirt, you are not going to do that here!!!! The humidity just sinks the cold right in on ya. On the furs; I had to bring them in the house today to get them dry, they just would not dry outside. LOL, should have seen the look on Shannon’s face when she walked in the laundry room and coyote, fox and coon hides were everywhere. :--o So glad she likes to trap, or I would have been cut OFF!!!!!

My "flexible" plan was to go down to Tyler county Thursday, get my camp open and start slinging steel for a couple of days and do about two weeks down there.....weather forecast for the next 10 days is rain for 8 of them! I don't enjoy dirt trapping in the rain...resets in the mud suck! :evil:

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 19:40 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp Rat wrote:
wannab wrote:
Swamp Rat wrote:

My "flexible" plan was to go down to Tyler county Thursday, get my camp open and start slinging steel for a couple of days and do about two weeks down there.....weather forecast for the next 10 days is rain for 8 of them! I don't enjoy dirt trapping in the rain...resets in the mud suck! :evil:

I feel your pain, I hate slopping around in the mud trying to make a set also.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 22:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Humid cold may sink in a bit quicker but even in low humdity, if a person was sleeping outside of the sleeping bag, on the ground, and with lighter clothing, anybody will get cold (or should get cold--I think the Canadians have glycol antifreeze running in their viens!!). We had a young guy around here a couple of years back that got too drunk and wandered off into a cattail slough on the edge of down, passed out, and died of hypotherma. They didn't find him for about 3 days. I don't think the nighttme lows when it happened got much lower than the low teens...

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 01:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I forgot to ask if she still is keeping her rings on while she's trapping and skinning (hope they're insured)?? Pretty good deal you have going. My wife may ride in the vehicle and watch if she was in the mood to hang out with me in outdoor pursuits. Its been a while since that has happened (maybe about the time she stuck her open faced shoes into a sand burr bush while she was observing me antelope hunting...)

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 14:00 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

NonPCfed wrote:
I forgot to ask if she still is keeping her rings on while she's trapping and skinning (hope they're insured)?? Pretty good deal you have going. My wife may ride in the vehicle and watch if she was in the mood to hang out with me in outdoor pursuits. Its been a while since that has happened (maybe about the time she stuck her open faced shoes into a sand burr bush while she was observing me antelope hunting...)

Yes Sir they are on!! They only time she ever takes them off is to clean them and then back on. She won't even leave them at the jeweler to be checked; they have to do it right then.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 15:07 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Wannab, I'd suggest her putting a band-aid over the ring to keep it from slipping off when the weather is too cold or her hands are slippery from blood or dishwater. :roll: :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 18:50 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

1/1/13 Day 5
Not much to report today, it rained all night. It would be a safe bet in saying we got 2” of rain. All we had in our traps this morning were tracks on two of them and a small grinner in one. Don’t know why we are catching so many grinners; we only had one last year. We had to remake all the sets and clean them up, and we moved our coon sets. We put some rabbit fur and meat in some of the sets, and some bird feathers around others. I got the fourth coyote fleshed and put on the board to dry. It has been so humid that the other three are still not ready to turn after being flesh out for twenty four hours; hopefully they will be ready to turn tomorrow. The weather has broken and it is going to be cool again tonight, it is going to be a good night, our traps are going to be full in the morning, we made some really nice looking sets. Come on cat daddy!! We are enjoying ourselves, but are missing the comforts of home. Taking a bath with a wash cloth next to the fire has proved to be interesting. It’s hard to wash something that has more wrinkles in it than a Shar-Pei.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 19:48 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Wannab, if it will cheer you up any, the first bobcat I caught was on an old cypress log in the middle of a swollen creek. The water was about knee deep when I made the set, thinking if an otter swam the creek they my stop on the old log lying lengthwise in the creek. It actually had the rusty remains of an old #2LS still stapled to the log. Was I ever surprised when I saw a bobcat jumping in and out of the water and I had to ease out to keep the water from going over my chest waders! So a little water isn't going to discourage cats from traveling. I honestly think bobcats and possums travel more in drizzling rain than do coons!

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 20:13 

Great post! I am enjoying your trapping vacation immensly :mrgreen: That was a really nice looking grey Shannon caught :mrgreen: Great yotes too! :mrgreen:
Though I would trade your humidity for a few blasts of them darn winds Wolf is always sendin' down from Canada!

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 20:26 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp Rat wrote:
Wannab, if it will cheer you up any, the first bobcat I caught was on an old cypress log in the middle of a swollen creek. The water was about knee deep when I made the set, thinking if an otter swam the creek they my stop on the old log lying lengthwise in the creek. It actually had the rusty remains of an old #2LS still stapled to the log. Was I ever surprised when I saw a bobcat jumping in and out of the water and I had to ease out to keep the water from going over my chest waders! So a little water isn't going to discourage cats from traveling. I honestly think bobcats and possums travel more in drizzling rain than do coons!

Swamp, when you go down to Tyler county, are you going to the WMA area there?

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 22:19 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

wannab wrote:
Swamp Rat wrote:

Swamp, when you go down to Tyler county, are you going to the WMA area there?

Nope, I am on a 7000 acre lease that is owned by The Campbell Group. For years it belonged to the timber division of Temple Industries.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next