Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 18:14

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2012, 08:14 
Trapper
Trapper

Infrequent poster, constant lurker

I was recently given 5 frozen beaver hides that were case skinned with the tails left on. I would really like to add a few of these hides to my display. I trapped two beaver last season and I put them up in the traditional round without tails. So far all the fur I have caught I have put up myself and sent out to be tanned. I still need to flesh these free hides but I'm wondering if the tails can be tanned on the fur or do I need to remove them. Also, how would I go about drying a case skinned beaver fur? Fox board?

Bob Bull

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2012, 08:52 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Ecosense, you can tan a beaver hide with the tail attached. I am not sure what a commercial facility would charge but like everything else I am sure there would be an extra fee for the attached tail! I have done them with the tail attached and this one I gave to my local State Biologist for his "show and tell" sessions with the public.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2012, 09:17 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks Swamp, I knew someone on here would have the answer. You guys always do. :--D

Red Fox 8
Grey Fox 1
Coyote 1
Opossum 5/2
House cat 2/2

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2012, 19:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Isnt it more difficult to case skin beaverÉ

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2012, 21:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Most definately it is harder to case skin a flat tail and get the same same results .Swamp that looks good, but i can see the bags by the legs. Foregive me everyone but i have to say this method of doing beaver is totaly wrong in most part if you want to selll it. Well i should say not 100% wrong, there are a few who do it that way. Beaver are stretched in the oval shape as that is the norm for fur buyers to judge size which is good. Beaver that are in the round is not normal size pattern so the fur graders will have to judge the size which will always may not work out in your favour. Both Auction houses have a norm pattern for every fur out there for everyone to follow. every trapper has the right to decide how he will do his fur up, wether right or wrong. But do not be upset if your returns are not what you expect. :mrgreen: . this is one gripe that i get so frustrated with. Forgive me but the wife has been away for over a week and i`m grumpy :evil:

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2012, 09:24 
Trapper
Trapper

Wolf, I totally agree about putting up fur correctly. These were a gift from an otherwise well meaning property owner. He thought he was doing a good thing skinning them after he shot them. I'm trying to get some utility out of what is left. I'll have them tanned and added to my fur collection.

Bob Bull