Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 03:08

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 20:49 
Trapper
Trapper

I have not had the time to get here since I first posted. Between our business, trying to find time to check traps in the legal time and family holiday stuff, well I am sure you all know.

We pulled our 45 trap line after we went through 10 times for 1 fisher and 2 marten. We tried a new way of hanging our traps. I blamed the warm weather, I blamed the new lure we used, I blamed the bait we used. Once I put in good bait, our own lure that has never let us down, the weather turned for the better, I blamed it on the area and pulled out. I set 15 sets on raod system that I moose hunt on only a few miles from the house. Same thing. Three trips through and nothing. I did here form others that they are having the same problem with no fur. Most pulled their traps after the 4 week. The warden told me only one guy did anything this year. He also told me my traps are set ALMOST identical to his. I think I have the ALMOST part figured out. Not going to change things right now as we only have a couple of weeks left wich means two more run throughs.

The good news is the beaver are coming good. I went out earlier than I like only because i found one of the ponds I wanted to set already set. I hate going out on thin ice. But to get the 12 beaver I want to get (6 for Linda's new jacket and 6 foot stools I have orders for) I bit the bullet and went for it. I set two snare sets and three ladder sets last Sunday. I checked them yesterday. I had one in a snare two in ladders and lost a snare on the other set? I must have gotten distracted when I was building them in the garage and did not give the wire a good twist with the pliers. I hate losing and animal and I really hate the thought of the beaver running around with a wire neck tie.

We do have 7 beaver to date so I only need five more ( I'll take a couple fo extras). I have only caught one kit so that is good for next year.

We are going to get a photobucket account so we can post some pics. We like looking at the other pictures hope you guys will like ours.

Someone asked on our other post what we are doing with our wildlife research projects. We have been involved in a moose study since 1996. We have been doing a predator, predator hunting study since 2005. We are working on a line of predator decoys right now. Our trapping observations take on the details of study once we have snow on the ground. We are notorious note takers and thinkers.

Glad to be here and hopefully we will have more time after Christmas.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 21:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

hello, and good to meet ya. be looking forward on your future post.. thanks denny

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2011, 12:16 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Good to hear from you again, Muskiemoose! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Raccoons: 12 (1 released)
Muskrats: 13
Beaver: 5
Possums: 2

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2011, 12:25 

MM when you get that photobucket acct up, could you please post a pic of your ladder set? thanks and sorry to hear the fur is slow going this year. keep at it!

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2011, 12:35 

TrapperAL wrote:
MM when you get that photobucket acct up, could you please post a pic of your ladder set? thanks and sorry to hear the fur is slow going this year. keep at it!

X2. Nice to see you on again MM.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 18:31 
Trapper
Trapper

I am glad th holidays are almost over. It is still hectic but the end is in sight.

We finally pulled our 15 trap line we had out. I stayed with the same set and made sure I had good bait and my own lure. What a dismal season. I think I did better the first year I ever trapped at the age of 12! I have been studying Wolf's marten sets and I am going to try some of his tricks next year. It has gotten harder to trap here with the new lynx exclusion rules we have to deal with. Not like the old days of throwing a box on the ground or a blow down.

The good news is the beaver just keep coming. I am set in on two houses about 50 yards apart. No dams just on a deep brook. out of 2 conibears and three snare sets I have taken 1 super blanket, 2 blankets, and three kits on two checks. Third check will be Saturday. most likely I will have cleaned them out as the landowner requested so i will move those sets on Sunday. Linda now has enough beaver for her new coat and I got a start on the foot stools I build.

Got to get the snowsled fired up tommorrow, build some more ladders and rig some snare poles. I will spend New Year day on the ice. Linda and I talked and I am going to pick up another 2 dozen 330 and another dozen #3's for next season. Going to get 100 beaver during the 2012-13 season just to say i did while I still can.

I am going to get the photobucket account right now and when it is set up I will post some pictures.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 19:06 
Trapper
Trapper

Linda with our first and only fisher of the season.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 19:13 
Trapper
Trapper

someone wanted to see our ladders. I will get some better pics of them on Saturday as i have to repair one and build two more.

From five traps on a two night set
Ladder all set in a run

Linda's first year trapping in 2005. I think she did pretty good. 50 rats with 14 traps in 8 days. The marten, fisher and weasel she got with 20 traps in about 5 weeks, 5 night sets.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 19:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Great pics muskimoose! sorry to hear your oisnt go'n so well hopefully that will turn around! It would be cool if you could share some of the things you have learned during your predator survey and I'd also like to see thoes decoys when thier ready. Good luck and thanks for sharing

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 23:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

that fisher pix is just way too cooll!!! Really dark, that one. What do Maine fisher usually bring finsihed out?? Like I said before, if someone wanted to learn a little taxidermy and got half way decent or sold skinned out fishers for taxidermy mounts, could probably make some jingle. I just checked eBay completed auctions (about a two week window of auctions that finished up). There were two full body fisher mounts, one went for $250 and the other (male and female mount?) went for $275. Another guy sold 3 skinned out fishers for someone else to mount for $106 to $152, all of them big males.

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 06:07 
Trapper
Trapper

I am not sure what fisher brings. The last time we sold some was back in 2007 and I think we got an average of $50. A long ways from the $200 to $400 I got back in the 80's.

We get our fur tanned and either have stuff made from it, we sell them as wall hangings, or Linda makes things herself. Plus our house is decorated in fur. Pelts on the wall. beaver seat covers, etc. I'll try to get some pics of the coyote scarfs Linda just made and the coyote hat she had made for me for christmas. She is learning how to make ear muffs right now.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 07:41 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

man, great pictures. congratulation muskiemoose..

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 13:49 

Great job on the fur this season, congrats!

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 17:43 
Trapper
Trapper

someone wanted to see our beaver ladders. Well I built some new ones today and repaired a couple of old ones. The guy that taught me to use these says I put too much time in them. But I repaired one today that I know was three years old as it had my old trap tag on it from our last address.

Here are the snares I use for beaver. I build them ahead in my garage. I build them a little longer than I think I will need then trim them to length on the ice once I know how deep the water is. Still getting the hang of these things but so far this year so good. Three snare sets with three beaver to show for it. I usually set three poles per house and if I can find a good run I will sink in one or two ladders. Get in, get out and on to the next one!

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 17:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Great pictures.
Especially the fisher.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 18:25 

Thank you very much for posting the beaver ladder and snare set MM. I'm going to give tose a try!

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 19:13 
Trapper
Trapper

The ladders take some time to build with collecting sticks and driving the nails. But if you build them a few at a time over the summer when ever you can collect some sticks it is not so bad. I can get 48 of the sets in the back of my truck with the traps all set and wired set. I have been able to set out 36 sets in day using this method. The guy that taught me to use these has set as many in 50 in day.

Two mistakes I made that Bill corrected me on... Never put a cross stick under the trap, something about it tips them off not to swim through and use a straight up and down trigger moved to one side or the other of center. Bill told me if they swim through with a stick in their mouth the stick may trip the trigger before they are all the way in. At least with it set to one side or the other if they do have a stick you got a 50-50 chance of having the head trip the trigger rather than the stick.

So far this year I have only had 2 tripped traps with no fur. I had one other tripped but I am convinced it was an otter on a speed run.

This is the three I got the other day.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 19:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Cool!! Are the birch (?) pieces on the snare poles bait or stablizlers for the snares? Around here beavs seldom make lodges, almost all of them are bank beavers. Many times they come up the banks using failry entrenched trails to raid corn fields (numberous times I've seen corn stalks sticking out of the bank den hole). Haven't been after beav for a long time but did snare one coming up one of those trails. He dug a pretty good donut around my stake. My youngest kid wants to have us try beaver trapping so perhaps this spring. Just need more vacation hours to use...

My nephew and I with my snared beaver, fall 1990 (?)

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2012, 16:49 
Trapper
Trapper

The bait pieces are poplar. It is the favorite tree for our beaver up here. They will eat alder, baughmagulien ( sp). Anything white and shiny brings them in to the snare. I know guys that use white PVC pipe for a bait. I treid this but if they go to the bait and brush the snare as to not get caught and find out the bait is fake they do not return to to the set. At leat if the come to the set and get a free meal without getting caught they will return time and again.

I just cleaned out one house with three snare sets and took four beaver in two checks. All the snares were undone each visit except for my last one which had no activity on the baits or the snares were not not "brushed". Also I went early morning to look at the house and no steam coming out and no frost crystals on the chimney of the house. Problem gone!

Nice beaver you got there. My personal best weighed in a 69 pounds. Trapped it on a river that had not been trappped in 5 years. Had the pelt made into a teddy bear for my grand daughter, we ended up keeping it for ourselves and had other teddy bears made from muskrat for them. Linda has the teeth made into earings which she does herself.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2012, 18:31 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks for the info. How are the poplar pieces secured to the snare pole? I like seeing a pix or two of the chisel teeth made into the ear rings!

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2012, 20:21 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

muskiemoose wrote:
Linda with our first and only fisher of the season.

That sure is one nice dark fisher you have there.The rest of the pics are awesome. looks like you both are having a good year and fun at the same time.Also those are some nice looking beaver.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2012, 20:22 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
Cool!! Are the birch (?) pieces on the snare poles bait or stablizlers for the snares? Around here beavs seldom make lodges, almost all of them are bank beavers. Many times they come up the banks using failry entrenched trails to raid corn fields (numberous times I've seen corn stalks sticking out of the bank den hole). Haven't been after beav for a long time but did snare one coming up one of those trails. He dug a pretty good donut around my stake. My youngest kid wants to have us try beaver trapping so perhaps this spring. Just need more vacation hours to use...

My nephew and I with my snared beaver, fall 1990 (?)

Now that is one boss hog of beaver. Just huge

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2012, 20:44 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Great pics! I really like that ladder set, may just have to give it a try myself. Do you just set them in deep runs or any where else in particular? Also, are they just driven into the ground? Sorry for soo many questions, I don't do a whole lot of beaver trapping, but I'm always looking for new sets. Thanks in advance for the info.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2012, 05:23 
Trapper
Trapper

I nail the poplar bait to the pole with a finish nail. I cut the pieces ahead of time and drill them so they won't split.

The ladders are set in runs I can find around the pond. Our rules here are we have to be 5 feet from the dam and 10 feet from any house. If the run is too wide to be blocked with just one ladder I will set two side by side and sometimes even have gone with 3 side by side. If the bottom is soft I push them into the mud. Smetimes the bottom is too hard so I just wire them to a standing tree or support them however I can.

In open water I also wire them to something as well.Once the ice hits I just let them freeze in.

Up here when we trap they want us to remove all the beavers from a site. All the road beaver get cleaned before the season even opens which kind of irks me. The ice up here right now is still kind of iffy and we don't have enough snow to runa snowmobile yet. I got two ponds to get to that have good population of the critters. One pond I know has 10 beaver on it the other probably has 12 to 14. Looking forward to getting into those.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2012, 11:06 

great post mm and linda! looks like you have a heck of a partner there to help with the trapping...does she skin em too? thank you for sharing your tips...i like that ladder set and am going to try that this spring in the channels....looks perfect! thanks again mm!