Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 22:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: USE STRONG WIRE!!
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2010, 13:43 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I ran across abit of A problem receantly with wire... I was doing ok though I rushed my sets A bit due to work..well I went to set another dozen snares and ran out of wire so I picked some up at the hardware store.. I thought it was A bit small but decided to risk it anyways :cry: :cry: I am now out about six snares im sure you can guess why ... I also cant find about three footholds I guess I shoulda marked them ...Feeling A bit bad about this I have pulled my traps and snares.. I think Im gonna make sure I have enough time to make my sets properly before I go back at it... :--?Im sure no one else has ever done anything stupid like thise?? :-- 3 beavers,5 coons, 2possums

Post subject: Re: USE STRONG WIRE!!
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2010, 14:00 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I hope you guys dont get the rong idea .. I love the outdoors and I love the consept of trapping,But after this and also I dispatched a kit beaver last week..I just dont wanna kill things irresponsibly ya know I am sure this Kit is gonna be awesome tanned cause thats what I intend :D

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2010, 08:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Did u scout around for your traps? It doesn't sound like u lost animals due to weak wire but someone removed them for you that or you were set up to have the best day ever. What were they set for? The yote I caught earlier was in a snare held by 14 gauge wire I typically use 11 or 9 gauge but have not had any problems with it you can always double the wire up but i would always go bigger iff you can but i never can find bigger wire at any hardware stores so i order it in ten pound rolls

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2010, 08:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

jeff,,everyone makes mistakes. even us guys that have been doing this a long time. mistakes are what you learn from. just take your time,do the set, then look at it,make sure it is right,,then go to the next one. as far as marking where you set,,use somekind of system you can just glance at and know where you are in relation to your sets,

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2010, 12:03 
PROFESSIONAL (MOUSE) TRAPPER

Good idea, some guys will mark their sets but at a distance. For example, a small piece of survey tape 25 feet to the north of each trap. If someone investigates the tape, the trap is nowhere to be found nearby.

2013/14
red fox 3
gray fox 2
coon 3
muskrat 25
mink 1

Hunting
130 lb 4pt buck - Mathews Z7, Grim Reaper 100 gr. at 6 yards.
17 lb tom turkey - Remington Express 20 ga #4 at 10 yards.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2010, 12:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

nelson,,,that is exactly the point i was trying to make. i use a 4 inch piece of orange survey tap,like you said,some distance from the actual set,and i find it is easier to follow a mile of tape,than i ' i think it was this way" :shock:

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2010, 13:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Our bush is so full of survares tape that a fella could lose his sets with out even tryin :mrgreen: I spray paint cloths pins bright orange and use them to mark my sets and snares. As for the wire thing I realy would up grade to cable or chain, you would be amased the beatin a critter will put on your riggin, it is always better to go over kill on your riggin so you dont lose riggin or worse yet an animal with your riggin on its foot.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2010, 14:47 
Trapper
Trapper

I to use surveyors tape, green usually because it doesn't stand out as much. I also use a notebook to log all my traps in as I set them out with a short description of there location. This helps when your running your line, you forget less and it speeds up the process because your not hunting traps near as much. Last week I had a trap wire to a fallen tree, it also has a drag. I caught a coyote and then along came a lion, from the looks of it the coyote put up a heck of a fight but in the end I found my trap 3/4s' of a mile away with nothing left except the coyotes foot. Sometimes even good wire isn't enough. Hope I catch the lion this week I would like some good pics.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2010, 23:08 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

RL, if you don't mind, go ahead and get some "before" pictures just in case your lion catch goes badly for you..... :roll: :lol: Best of luck on your catches.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2010, 16:23 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thanks for all the tips guys.. I was setting for beaver and used some like 16 guage wire I know better just dideant have anything else ..I know better now though ,,although I think the one I had something in came untyed because I saw the rub marks it made on the tree.+ no broken wire..Im pretty sure I had A couple stolen to though I think theres some coon hunters in there,, well I know it is..I know I went at it wrong though I should feel bad..Im deffinantly gonna go about things differeantly though, Take more time to get things like there suppossed to be..Thanks guys :D :D P.S I have some awsome new places to check out..Im gonna try and least make A few bucks so I can buy some big connies..

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2010, 16:32 

You can use 16 wire for anything if you double, triple, or quadruple it. I only use wire on beaver sets that are under the ice so there won't be a long struggle. A good use for 16 wire is to use it doubled to hole the trap chain end loop onto the stake to keep it from sliding off. The loop takes all the force against the stake. Thats the only way I use it for land animals. I have lost traps and animals in the past relying on wire for the connection between the chain and drag or stake. Never again.

2013/14
red fox 3
gray fox 2
coon 3
muskrat 25
mink 1

Hunting
130 lb 4pt buck - Mathews Z7, Grim Reaper 100 gr. at 6 yards.
17 lb tom turkey - Remington Express 20 ga #4 at 10 yards.