Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 17:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6799 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 272  Next
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010, 20:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

redrooster wrote:
Chieftain, you may have run over that big one with the truck two or three times to soften him up, a crock pot may not do it. :oops: :P :P :P
....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010, 23:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Tree rat and dumplins at Chiefs tomorrow, lol. We save the really old ones for burgoo. After cooking 10+ hours anythings tender. Took one of the godsons out this evening and he got one red with his little Rossi .410 single shot. Almost too hot to sit in the timber. Only had 2 keeper cats on the bankpoles from soaking all day a 2lb and a 5lber. Did have a snapper though just big enough for us. Hopefully the gars stay in bed tonight and the cats move. Fish biting over your way Chief? Waters dropping here now. Several of the nephews, nieces and godsons want to dove hunt next month. Havent seriously dove hunted in years just pass shot them by chance.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 06:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

fish ain't doing much here..river is so low I cant get up or down it...

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 11:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

All the local waters are dropping/low. Illinois and Mississippi are still up pretty good. Fish arent doing much here, gars are biting good though. Had 5 cats out of 20 poles this morning but only 2 keepers rest were stripped. Not hardly worth wasting the shad etc for 2 keepers a run and to feed gar. Did manage to kill a few billy gar for oil and bait. Only stayed in the timber for about an hour this morning. No breeze and the humidity was a killer. Never even seen a tree rat till we got back by the truck and caught a red sunning on a limb. Buddy said theyre cutting a few pecans but seems a little early to me? We're going to go and check them out in the morning. Did see a nice 9 or 10 point and a little 6'er. Amazing how during squirrel season they look at you like what are you and why are you here? Could have taken either one with a spear.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 16:23 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

yes them deer seem stupid... till season comes in...I think I will be putting up peach jelly by the end of the week ..got a couple dozen ripe ones today.....Image

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 21:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Good deal Chief. We eat them right off the tree til lwe get sick of them before we can any. Ours are done but several truck farms over by the farm let the in laws in for anything they dont want to sell so hopefully they'll have some of those "calhoun" peaches. I think I better quit eating maters for a few days, Ive got acid burns already, lol.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2010, 05:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I had to starting eating the yellow maters about a week ago..

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2010, 19:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

had this coon this morning ..caught him in a melon patch....Image

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 02:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Chief do you ever let your dogs run those cage trapped coons? Buddys grandfather had rolling cages for ones he cage trapped in the summer. They'd let the dogs run them for a day or two in the rollers then release them and let them run them off into the timber.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 05:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

backwoodsman wrote:
Chief do you ever let your dogs run those cage trapped coons? .
...not to much ..I might show a young dog a coon or 2 in the cage.I take the coon turn him loose ,go back home get the dog,send him out to where I turned the coon loose.most young dogs will pick up the sent and run it...seems like if you show them to many in the cage,the young dog gets in the habit of not wanting to go hunt[look for a coon on its own]...

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2010, 06:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

well finally the heat broke ..been near a 100 the last 4 days..cool out there this morning with a nice north wind....

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2010, 14:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yep I think it would take a few minutes to cook an egg on the hood today, lol. Got a few veggies to pick later on closer to dark. Pretty bad when 86 feels comfortable. Might even be able to get out in the am for a few tree rats.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2010, 07:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

started the flooring job Thursday..some jobs you just cant bid high enough..my knees aint used to this..

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2010, 08:21 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Chieftain wrote:
started the flooring job Thursday..some jobs you just cant bid high enough..my knees aint used to this..

:? Maybe this is a "sign" Chieftain.....Sunday and you are on your knees.. :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2010, 09:21 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I dont envy ya Chief. A shiver went up and down my spine when I read that, lol. Are you bidding that low? We're getting blackberry jelly canned now.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2010, 15:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

didn't bid this job high enough....for the knee replacement surgery I'm going to need..3 days of prep. work.tomorrow may start putting down some tile. :roll: .atleast its in the AC.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2010, 22:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yeah the AC is a good thing at least.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2010, 18:09 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

peaches are getting ripe..its taking them a long time this year....mine are mostly done by the 3rd week in july....most of this years are still a week away or better.caint wait to make jelly ,pies and cobblers out of them...

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2010, 22:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Our own trees have been done for about two weeks but others in the area are still ripening or a week or so away. Squash are producing like mad and this is the best year I can remember in a long time for them. Maters are doing odd things for everyone in this area. Some are ripening and doing great, others are getting about baseball size and never ripening they just sit and rot. Too hot to squirrel hunt and fish arent biting.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2010, 04:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

going to be a hot one today....4:30 in the morning and 80 degrees already.... :roll:

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2010, 07:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yep its gonna be Chief. It was 76 here at 5am. DIL was gonna come over and watch the babes while I hit the timber but I told her to stay home and sleep in. Aint a lick of breeze. Like trying to breath underwater already. Got a dozen things to do in and out of the house. Do you save your squirrel tails Chief? Several of the boys are saving them this year to trade for lures.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010, 15:24 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

getting kinda dry over this way..at least the yard aint needing mowed.....[turning brown and crunchy]

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2010, 04:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We had a heavy sprinkle Tuesday evening but thats been it for a little while now. Our grass is slowing down too thank the Lord. Fish biting is picking up a little too thankfully. Too hot to squirrel hunt still, 77 right now. Forecasting low 80's for a high next Wednesday for the first day of school so no hunting then but it'll be easier on the kids in schools with no A/C. Maters are starting to turn now, all the "experts" around here said it was too wet? Finished off the last of the cheddar deer brats last night, come on October 1st(thats why Im up, ugh)! Had two calls in the last week from irate pond owners, otter must have had a bumper crop last year? They love bass for some reason? Wonder if they're easier to catch or tastier? Both owners lost alot of bass from the sounds of it. I told them to call the DNR. One wanted to know since I couldnt do anything with the otter if he could borrow some traps, lol. Our DNR is squandering a resource.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2010, 07:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Maters are getting ripe here too.getting about half ..some rot as soon as they start to turn red...got enough peaches for a pie or 2 now..should start putting up jelly by the end of the weekend.. ain't been to the woods,too hot to hunt..might get to go fishing some next week..[if I get the flooring job done]..can't wait till Oct. 1st....I still got around 50 pounds of deer meat left..most of it is slim jims..OTTERS we need a season..there are literally dozens of them on the ten mile stretch of river I trap.I don't know what the dnr is waiting on ..they [dnr] said at the time of the release of otters in this area,that in 8 years there would be a viable population..that was 20 years ago :roll: ..headed out to the flooring job.2/3 rds of the way to done..

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2010, 11:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

got down to the last 6 bags of mortar,,,,,they were a different color :roll: :x :x ..got to wait now to finish.. :cry: lumber yard said they were out and would have to order it.2 to 4 weeks.. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ..anyway..got a text from a buddy of mine that 's a farrier up at the race track [Balmoral] up in Chicago..quote:"blue tongue disease has hit my area.....325 deer found dead this week in my county....dnr says it caused by gnats..deer are dying in peoples yards..the dead wagon cant keep up"......now we had this go through my area about 12 years ago..it took a good 5 years for our deer to recover..the dnr said we lost around 2000 deer county wide that year..thats alot more deer than is killed in gun season around here..usually it kinda localized..a county 3 or four counties away may not be effected..the dnr says these gnats take a 4 to 6 weeks to life cycle ,then its over...blue tongue gets its name from when the animal dies it's tongue will be protruding its full length from the animals mouth and be a purplish color.they will be by water most times when they die...keep an eye open over your way Back, let me know if you find any dead ones, please.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6799 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 272  Next