Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 16:08

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6908 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 277  Next
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010, 11:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Been a long time now since I followed the hounds. I imagine I'd be laid up for several days at least afterwards. We're lazying around here still this morning. Kids will want to go to the waterpark again. Talking about a bluecat trip Friday to Alton and then the Grafton Raging Rivers Waterpark. I like that park but it's always a $200 trip minimum for gas, food, tickets etc. I hadnt driven fence posts in awhile either till yesterday, lol, part of the reason we're still lazying around. FIL called and said the waterfowl took to the pond fine and are all swimming in it and there was 26 eggs between our laying hens and the new ones. I made the neighbor a standing offer for the 35 acres but he wont budge for now. Price is down right now on ground over this way but finding a bank that will loan money for a parcel is the trick. I dont miss construction work at all. That was my trade for awhile along with cabinet making and finish carpentry. When you work the pay is great but when you dont its beans n weenies time.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010, 12:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

finish carpentry is my favorite..I try just taking on what I want in work but sometimes it don't work out [had to do that roofing the other day]..ground prices are higher than a cats back over here..theres 43 .7 acres that lay next to my 100 acres woods for sale.would love to have it..but I aint got no house payment or truck payment right now..the loving woman say's I don't need another 43 acres to hunt on..she likes not being in debt..and at my age I don't think I want to take that big of a bite this late in life...they want 4200 hundred a acres for the 43.7..it aint nothing but hills and hollers..might be 5 acres flat..the rest is hillside...we got some of the best farm ground in the country here north of town..the dirt is as black as a crows butt..it averages between $7000. to $8000.00 an acres when it sells..got to go meet the homeowner at 1:00

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010, 12:58 
You boys have it easy. You cannot touch an acre of ground around here for less than 15,000.00 per acre. :--o It is a little cheaper if you are buying a quarter section, but not much. I have seen it as high as $40,000.00 per acre if it is within 10 miles of town. :--? There is a 168 acre farm just 1/2 East of me for sale, they want 1.2 million, which works out to over $7,000.00 an acre. :--o Out west, you can buy land for around $1000.00, but it is arid and not much water there. :? I suppose I will have to be happy with my little 5 acres. :shock: :P :P

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010, 15:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Holy crap :shock: :shock: :shock: I thought my land was pricey, it was $40,000 when the fella who owned it offerd it to me and a year later when I went back and bought it he wanted $50,000 We settled on $45,000 :evil: Guess I should have bought it the first year. Oh ya that was for a 1/4 section. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010, 15:23 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

fuzz269 wrote:
Holy crap :shock: :shock: :shock: I thought my land was pricey, it was $40,000 when the fella who owned it offerd it to me and a year later when I went back and bought it he wanted $50,000 We settled on $45,000 :evil: Guess I should have bought it the first year. Oh ya that was for a 1/4 section. :mrgreen:

I had to settle for the $50,000 on my home 1/4 Fuzz :oops: . Mind you it's now worth at least 4 times what I paid plus improvements[if you can call anything I did an improvement :roll: ]. I did get that land last year at bargain basement prices but that only happens to a lucky few :P .

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010, 17:20 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Our ground skyrocketed here with the influx of deer and turkey outfitters. Early 90's $250-$1500 acre, 4 years ago it peaked at $4000-$7000 for hunting acreage and up to $10,000 acre for flat black farm ground. Now the hunting ground runs $1000-$2000 acre with some realtor owned properties having up to $4000 acre price(but its not selling). Last summer 2 brothers sold 80 acres just north of us at auction with no reserve(big mistake!). They were planning on $5000/acre minimum and one parcel of 40 brought $1200/acre and the other one with about 10 acres of farm ground brought $1800/acre. Ever seen 2 grown men cry? Carter Realty was present and had purchased alot of ground the previous year for twice what the ground went for hoping to resell it to city hunters for a nice profit, they werent doing too good either holding tears back. Few "recreational ground" auctions being held around here now. We bought 12 acres that was landlocked by us for $1000 acre about 6 years ago. We had 20 already but the 12 was along our east boundary and quite a acquisition for us as it gave us a big chunk along Rock Creek which is spring fed and flows year round in some spots. We are eventually wanting to put a water wheel generator in it to help with the power needs on the farm. Our east neighbor has another 100+/- acres but he wont turn loose of it.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 06:10 

up here some good bog will cost you between 1 and 2k per acre. but dont think about actually doing anything with it, unless you are into communing with mosquitoes. our wetlands act up here has some teeth and the dnr flies around taking pics of everyone property. if you drain your swamp, they'll drain your wallet!

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 09:24 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

they fly around here too,but they are looking for marijuana growers... :--o

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2010, 04:41 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

got a couple of guns I'm going to shoot today..squirrel season starts Sunday morning..

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2010, 06:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

chief,,,what are you shooting? my favorite rifle for squirrels was an old remington gallery pump gun,,then i switched over to a dandy little 28 gauge side by side from hungary,or chekoslovakia. only problem,,unless i hand loaded,finding ammo for it was hard,,now i use a 177 cal air rifle from spain.wanted a beeman,could not find one out here.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2010, 07:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

sad to say my eyes ain't what they used to be,I'll take the shotgun ..carry the Browning pistol on my side for close easy shots...got one of those Rem. pumps ,its getting a rear sight put on it..it's been at the gunsmiths for 6 months now. :x :x :x ..it's hard to find a good smith around here..they are all slower than molasses in winter...I like my little 17 cal. for squirrels too ..its got a scope on it,,,I do a little better with the scope :oops:

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2010, 12:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Alot of the planes that fly around here are looking for pot growers or meth cookers hidden in the hollows. I need to get out and shoot some too. Ive still got 3 new .22's Ive never shot and 1 or 2 used ones Ive never shot either. Airguns are illegal to hunt with here but the .22 cal air rifles really whomp the yard range squirrrels good I hear? ;--) Ive had 2 of those little .17's. They were great for squirrels but the ammo cost steered me into trading them off. We've got several .22 magnums though and they are the cats meow on these reds when they're hiding in the tip tops of the bigger oaks. Early in sqirrel season I like a 20ga and Ive got several but alot of the time lean toward a H&R/N.E.F. single shot or a Mossberg 500 full choked. Buddy has a Remington 870 in 28ga and swears by it. He bought a case of 6 shot at Gamemasters in Quincy several year ago at around $5/box and still has plenty of shells. I like our muzzleloaders too after we get some squirrels in the freezer. Ive carried a shotgun and a .22 rifle before but its been years since I did that, just got too heavy and cumbersome on the longer hikes. Ive never had alot of confidence in my handgun shooting abilities so I preferred a rifle. Still waiting here for everyone to get up and moving, its only noon afterall, lol. Either shopping and fishing in Springfield or shopping and fishing in Alton for us today. Got school clothes to buy. Hoping to get a chance to put out a few setlines later this evening. Canning maters and 10 gallons of green beans we traded for tomorrow.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2010, 15:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Good fishing there at East Alton ,made that trip afew times....

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2010, 07:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

going to go run the little beagle this morning.then go to town for some dog food.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2010, 07:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Ended up going to Lake Springfield and shopping for kids clothes. Lots of ice blue cats down thru the area around Alton. Looks like there might be rain heading your way Chief.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2010, 11:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

found 2 rabbits that were willing to play the game...ran one for an hour and ten min.'s[4 big circles] the other ,45 min.s.....don't know who was panting harder me or the dawg..getting hot out there...

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2010, 12:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thats alot of fun Chief. I remember those days. Once we move back out to the country Ive talked about getting a beagle or two again. Bet it was a warm run. Went out in the garage for jars and thought wow glad I dont have to stay out in it today.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2010, 16:11 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

yea I kinda like the little dogs, most of the time I can sit on the tailgate and listen to the race without hardly any walking at all...unlike the coon hunting ..going out in the shop and rounding up what I'll need for the mornings hunt..hope it will be cool...seen a couple walnut trees they were working on when I was running the dog

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010, 04:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

little foggy here this morning..but nice and cool..squirrels should move..waiting on it to come daylight..

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010, 09:21 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

got my limit in 2 hours..found them in shag bark hickories ,,walnut ,and pig nut trees...3 with the monkey wards 20 ga. and 2 with the buck mark...Image

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010, 12:13 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice hunt Chief. Greys and reds too. We hunted north of the interstate so it was reds only today. Hot here this morning, it was 72 but the humidity when the sun was coming up, ugh. We put out 20 bankpoles yesterday evening and ran them on the way to the timber this morning. Put 4 nice channel in the cooler. Ended up having a parade to the timber with 9 people but only 5 had guns. Our tree rats are eating field corn so we caught a few between den trees/nests and the big field. 11 reds managed to get in front of the guns, I got 1, lol, and also got a groundhog while waiting to leave at the truck's and van while everyone else trickled in. l like to think the 2 5 year old boys, mine and a godson, that sat with me were an obstacle to more tree rats, lol. But it was fun. They dug a hole with a stick about 1' deep and 2' square. They buried anything that didnt run away in it. We found a handful of turkey feathers too on the way in and out. They only asked about 2000 questions. I had a little .22 in the truck they shot when we got back to it. They wanted to shoot the 20ga single I was carrying but I was leery it would be too much. Getting ready to work up some maters to can, gonna pick some too. Got 2 gallons of blackberry juice to cook down to jelly. I think wednesday evening we're cooking the kill from the hunt today.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010, 13:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

everyone I killed this morning was an old one...they will be so tuff you won't be able to stick a fork in the gravy.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010, 18:47 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Chieftain wrote:
everyone I killed this morning was an old one...they will be so tuff you won't be able to stick a fork in the gravy.

congrats Chieftan. Crockpot will soften them up.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010, 19:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I hope so Doc. there's a fox squirrel in this bunch thats as big as a tom cat....Image

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010, 19:17 
Chieftain, you may have run over that big one with the truck two or three times to soften him up, a crock pot may not do it. :oops: :P :P :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6908 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 277  Next