Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 08:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ugh....
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2007, 22:56 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Well I got a great place to trap but I have problems. First off I went and scouted it out today. It is a pond and there is holes everywhere!! The guy says there is a WHOLE bunch of beaver here. I believe him now. I will try and take pictures tomorrow. They have dug holes in the banks every were there but the place wollered out there is way to wide and big for a 330 and to snare. They all look the same to so I don't know what den to trap there. Is a feed bed were there are sticks everywere along the bank? I found a place like that and it was thick enough you could walk out in the water about 6 feet and it would hold you up. Trails all over the place on the banks. Now for the big problem. This is in the edge of town and houses not very far at all from this pond. I mean there is a few trees but not much. I saw someones cat while down there. I was thinking of snareing den holes, setting 330's in slides were I have narrowed it down, and setting footholds in the edge of water for the other stuff. I am also gonna try a castor mound but the biggest foothold I have is a double longspring #3. Will this hold or should I use a 330? Now I am not kidding on the sign, I don't have enough traps for this place really, it is unreal!! Hasn't ever been trapped since this guy has owned it and they have always been there since he had owned it and that has been 20 years!! I don't think these baby's are trap shy now but they will be in a few days because I am going crazy in the water with traps.

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2007, 01:02 
Trapper
Trapper

I would use the 330 and put in in the water to keep away from the cat. #3 on a drown line would works as well if the water is deep enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2007, 20:08 
Trapper
Trapper

hey it sounds like you are going to be busy for the next couple of days. If you could get any use some 660's they are to two 330's welded together for the super wide trails. or you could take chicken wire fencing and cut a 4 foot wide section of it and cut out a section were you could palce a 330, this works well.

And yes when they have a lot of branches and small trees piled up against the bank this is like a muskrats feed bed except they don't go on top of it (duh... i'm pretty sure you knew that) and set 330's in those runways

try some of mike marsaydas beaver lure. It should work well.

GOOD LUCK

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2007, 20:09 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I am setting tommorow. 660's are illegal for use in Arkansas. I am gonna set a bunch of snares, I am setting a dozen and I have another dozen on the way.

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2007, 20:12 
Trapper
Trapper

well that sucks.... you can try to place two or more snares in one run... place them about 6 to ten feet apart.

p.s. did you get my message about changing the LS to the CS? what about 330's?

Last edited by young U.P. Trapper on 16 Feb 2007, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2007, 20:12 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Sure did and you have another in the trading post thing.

Possum-Too many

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2007, 01:22 
Trapper
Trapper

Hey Ty-Bo ! Real anxious to hear how you are doin' with beavers ! Sounds like you found a gold mine and are so busy doggin' em that you have'nt had time to give us a holler. Hope you are really nailin' the beavs.!!!

grinnergitter54