Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 16 Jan 2018, 16:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anger managment
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2010, 15:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

So i am standing in a creek this morning my cell starts ringing i decide to answer it t is my father . he says that a guy is up here saying i caught his dog and how he has my trap so on so forth. i tell dad i will talk to him as soon as i am done give me twenty mins or so . it ends up being a guy i have had all kinds of trouble with he starts going off on how i have to pay for his dog and so on so forth well i took the liberty to call a local game warden and make sure i had all my ducks in a row. legal trap legal spot our private land in season checked within 24 hours tag on t so i am good . well before i went to talk to him i ran up to where he said the dog came from my 11 gauge wire was cut and no trap so i assume that is the one the dog was in. they claim that the dog came up to there house dragging the trap a number 2 victor coil spring . i tell him impossible and show him the wire that was on the tree the trap came from. fresh cut metal and far to short for me to have attached to a tree and trap so he starts the whole are you calling me a liar and following that with profanity. so far i ahve stayed fairly calm and then he says how he didnt have problems until i came back home and he over steps his bounds when he saqys we we glad my grandad died and now the land was ours . imstead of staying calm i proceed to let him know how he eeds to get my trap back to me immediatly before i call the police to take care of it and it escalated from there he then denies having it and tell me if i can find it i can have it unless i am willing to pay the vet bill. and he walks out of the restaraunt and instead of letting him walk out and just forgetting bout the trap i follow behind him and let him know he has 45 mins to bring it back before i call the police he quickly reaches inside of his truck and throws it at me . i brashly thank him and should have walked away he called me some names flipped me the bird and i couldnt let it go i let him know that he can come on back and finish what he started if he wants and his son which i had left out of the story jumos out of the truck and comes towards me but wont leave the main road and starts asking me if i want to fight so on so forth the bad part is we usta be great friends and they let things get to this .
we stopped letting them hunt on our land and they got mad is what happened.
my dad tells me to be smarter then them and my brain kicks out of anger mode back into smart mode and i tell brandon to go on home before we both do somthing we regret.

so in the end i lost my temper said some stuff i shouldnt have and let things get out of hand and almost escalate to the point of me getting in the same amount of trouble they could have and brought myself down to their level.

i guess i needed to vent this but in the smae instance relize what i should have done.
i was in the right and was totally legal and the law was totally on my side so there was no argument to be made i had the upper hand and should have said my peace and let the law take care of it if they were not willing to handle t person to person..
or i could have relized this is one of about 160 traps i have and if it keeps feathers from being ruffled walk away and let them win it doesnt really hurt me much and i only loose one trap.
in the end losing your temper just means losing your upperhand as well as your ability to stay on subject and just adress the problem at hand.
or if i had not come to my sences i could have lost my trap and goten a nice assault and batterie charge on my record and who knows he may have wore me out or even worce he could have shot me or anything,

so in the end always keep your cool stay on track and let teh law work for you if need be.

there is a whole lot more i coulda put in here but i have rambled enough.

Post subject: Re: Anger managment
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2010, 16:04 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Well Micah your story got me all riled up and in a mood! :evil: I have been in the same situation too many times and you just want to punch someone out for making mountains out of mole hills and yet THEY WERE IN THE WRONG!!! I think this is more common in the rural areas today. There was a time when folks lived off the land and also hunted with dogs, yet they would never think of messing with your traps or the critters you caught. Time and Change....it sucks more every day. Glad you got your trap back and yes 1 out of 160 does matter! :?

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2010, 16:41 
I suspect that if you ever encounter a similar situation, you will handle it very well. You grew up some today. I learned along time ago, engage brain before mouth. Trust me, I have a temper and it was a hard lesson to learn. I am proud of the fact that you realized the consequences of kicking his buns, and acted accordingly. I am sure your Dad is proud too. There will always be people like that around, unfortunately. Your incidnet could and should be a good lesson to the younger trappers on this site. Good Job.
Red

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2010, 20:03 

Micah, i live in a very rural area and i have a family from out of state that literally has squatted in their mom in laws house after her ol man died. she told me she would kick them out if it wernt for the kids. these ppl have 4 dogs, several cats, rabbits, you name it....if i can say it on here, imo they are nothing but white t****!!! Half of my family has been bitten by their dogs (i have two of my own) and we have had nothing but problems with them. their 12 year old son is a feral youth who is always skipping school, and races around the neighborhood on a snowmobile. he has taken to screwing with my snares now and everyday my blood boils over thinking about it. Now i see that their dogs STILL come over to my house to do there business. I am thinking of setting a foothold in their trail (right next to my driveway pad where i park my cars) to teach them a lesson. I completely DETEST these scumbags!!!!! oh yeah, the father moved in last summer, he was locked up in an Illinois state prison for several years. isnt that nice?
I just keep calling the sheriff and dnr everytime i see them doing something illegal...doesnt seem to matter to a family culture of criminals.
I'm with ya man....we gotta fight the good fight, but i dont believe in laying down for anyone, ever!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2010, 20:44 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

all in all i think you handled that very nicely misch. but remember posesion of anothers trap is a federal offense so is trespassing i could only imagine what the look on his face woulda ben if you would of just called the police and they cought him with your trap in his truck.also sorry to here about the lost friendship

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2010, 22:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I am sorry to hear this Micah, but I think you probly handled this way better than I would have.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2010, 01:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I have to give you credit for handling it a lot better than I could have. A few years ago I had a guy try to run me off of public land because "there isnt any hunting allowed there". Well after a little bickering I lost my temper and replied "I dont care where the **** you are from, go back there, your species does not belong here." He left, of-course he was going to turn me in though. The funny thing is, its illegal to harass a hunter. I called a warden as soon as I got into cell range, still steaming a bit.
I ran into the warden a few weeks later and found out the guy was regularly harassing people up there and was continually turning people in for hunting.(which is legal there). The warden also had a couple choice names for the guy but those dont need to be repeated.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2010, 10:28 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I am still thinking about the confrontation with the neighbor

and how Micah wanted to punch him out

yet Micah's Dad remained calm and advised Micah to let it go and get back to work

and finally how Micah was the better man and walked away......

:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2010, 13:46 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

you did a better job on keeping your cool than what most people would, if this guy was so worried about his dog he should of kept it pen up. you have a right to trap and heck with anyone who dosn't like it.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2010, 23:04 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Great work there Swamp! Micah, I admire your restraint! You are the better person for not sending him rolling across the terrain until he stopped in the afterlife. Good for you, but I won't think any less of you if you ground pound him next time. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2010, 19:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

love the illistrations

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 00:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I have needed anger management for years! Not proud of it but Dang...when push comes to shove I'm not one to back down even if I am 5 ft 2". We have land disputes all the time at the farm...I'm slowly getting a bad rep. because I don't just curse but know the law enough to get whoever kicked off for good. I posted the property not only with no hunting signs but made sure no trespassing signs were everywhere. Been smart enough to post dogs on property and not claimed viciousness, just in case they would bite. Added a few children at play signs to boot...adds that extra firmness from the law officers saying....now you know there are kids here stay away! They do not like the idea of any child being endangered and neither do I. Throw up a few extra signs saying all violators will be prosecuted and cameras on premises seems to have really worked recently. Do it even if you don't have cameras! Hope this helps and kudos for remaining calm in the end!

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 09:14 
isnt there leash laws there as well...is it legal to let his dog wander?...you definitely handled the situation better than i would have...

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 11:46 
Here in KS we are cursed with a no leash law. Dogs roam all over. I have to admit up until three years ago, I let the old dog roam. She/we paid dearly for that error in judgement. There are dogs in my trapping area frequently. Most do not have collars and have travelled almost a mile to get into my trapping area. They run the deer and everything else that is there. The land owner has the land posted. There must be 200 signs around the outer edges of the property. Still people come onto the land and do whatever they want. That is until they are caught. The land also has cameras and he does prosecute tresspassers. Some people have no respect for other peoples belongings.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 21:09 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

I have been the cause of several deer chasing dogs hitting the brakes. I have a buddy that lives next to Hillsdale that thinks that his dog is loved by all his neighbors and that it is his neighbors privilege for this mutt to come for a visit (usually visiting the garbage cans). He got a little cross with me when I told him how I felt about that and the steps I would take to correct it if it were my problem. :twisted:

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.